• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer advice needed

Linfoo

Time of past OR future Camino
None-planning for 2020
Hi all! I’m brand new to the forum as I’ve only recently decided to act upon my yearning to do my first (short) Camino in sept next year (2020) to mark a special birthday. I aim to do a distance of about 100 - 150 Km only for my first Camino experience. Have some physical limitations (ankle and back issues), so using the luggage transport service will be ideal for me. From my initial research I was sold on the last 100km of the Francés Route. But subsequent research about the ‘party’ atmosphere has been off putting! I would like to travel in the first 2 weeks of September. My budget can manage more than alberques (which I’d prefer with my health issues). Any advice on: alternative last 100/ 150km route? I want beautiful countryside scenery and don’t heed to end up in Santiago as I’m sure I’ll be back to complete other legs. I’m traveling from South Africa, so the inter city transportation is a factor for me. I’ll be travelling with my 21 year old daughter and perhaps 2 other female friends. If possible I’d like to add on a short ‘beach/rural country’ holiday break at the end of the walk (it’s so pricey for us to get there so I’d like to make the most of the visa!). Any pointers and advice on a suitable route would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. PS: I’ve looked at the Portuguese route but not appealing right now-would love to experience rural Spain:)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Start in Pamplona or start in Leon both have great countryside for 100 to 150km.

You might advantage yourself and your group if you research two possibilities:

1: Burgos to Leon and any days you have after reaching Leon.
2: Have a look at the Camino's Finnisterre and Muxia routes from Santiago de Compostela.

Buen (finding what you desire) Camino

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, another vote for starting at Pamplona. The countryside round there is gorgeous, the stages interesting. Because it's at the start of the camino everyone will be open and friendly. Best place to begin.

I think that for a first Camino, it is important to finish in Santiago. And if you are going in September and staying in private accomodation mostly, you won´t be affected by the 'party' element of it, which usually happens in summer months.

Go for the last 150km on the CF, starting maybe in Ponferrada? There is a great Templar castle there. You will enter Galicia, with its beautiful landscapes, pass the challenging Cebreiro... Pretty sure you can have a lovely experience.

Another option is the last 100km of the Portuguese route, if you are looking for luggage transport and infrastructure. Valença do Minho, at the border of Portugal/Spain is a great city with a big fortress. On this route it is more about the culture and food than the landscapes, though.

I think that for a first Camino, it is important to finish in Santiago. And if you are going in September and staying in private accomodation mostly, you won´t be affected by the 'party' element of it, which usually happens in summer months.

I have to disagree with Anamya here. September is high season on the camino and this one is shaping up to be the busiest yet. Unless you have strong religious reasons to end in Santiago, you're doing yourself a big favour by avoiding the last 100km in these peak months. The way is crowded out with large tour parties and much of the pilgrim community spirit is lost from being swamped in sheer numbers of people, not to mention the inevitable tacky tourism that brings.

I'll cop flac here no doubt from the pious ones here, telling me I need to examine my own heart instead of criticising the camino. Yes, I can be a snob sometimes, but I'm just telling it straight here... You'll be jumping into an overcrowded circus of school groups, tour parties, and over-stressed accommodation and I wouldn't wish that to be anyone's first experience of the camino.

If you want to start somewhere close to Santiago, you could try Astorga to Cebreiro. That way you'll end your trek somewhere beautiful and peaceful. You can get a bus from Cebreiro back to Leon and connect up with the main transport system from there. I think the bus even keeps on till Burgos :)

Or try the earlier stages like I've suggested. There's much to be said for starting early because then all the other pilgrims you're walking with are all in the same boat. And when you absolutely love it and are determined to return the next year, you'll have plenty ahead of you and won't have "spoiled" anything by doing it out of order!

I'm not against the last 100km per se. I've done it in winter and it was a beautiful experience then, but why try it in peak camino season if getting to Santiago isn't a must for you?

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Fair enough @H Richards . I have not been there in September to see it, I just thought the summer-crazyness would be July-August for Spanish pilgrims, while September has a higher number of foreigner ones.

Reaching the cathedral is so special that it is hard for me to tell anyone who has not had the experience yet to "nah, no need to see it". But to each their own.

The Astorga region in indeed very, very pretty, that was a great suggestion :)

Reaching the cathedral is so special that it is hard for me to tell anyone who has not had the experience yet to "nah, no need to see it". But to each their own.

The Astorga region in indeed very, very pretty, that was a great suggestion :)

Yes, I think the Bierzo region could be the most beautiful of the whole camino :) I love the old stone houses they have there, and the countryside is astonishing - something like Wales or New Zealand to my mind.

I'm not suggesting he doesn't go to the cathedral. I'm fully anticipating he'll reach there another year!

By the way, if you do choose to start around Pamplona, you could all head north afterwards to enjoy the amazing beaches of the north coast. San Sebastian I love, but there are many lovely smaller ones along there too.

Pamplona to around Burgos then jump to the northern coast...

Or, do the Inglis, which will get you to Santiago in 100 km, then continue walking to Finisterre and/or Muxia. There are beaches there.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Did I miss what your goal or reason is for walking the Camino? That would be key on determining where to walk your 100k. If getting a Compostela is the goal then it has to be the last 100k to Santiago de Compostela. Is your goal religious or sight seeing?

Thanks so much everyone for all your generous advice-so much I wasn’t aware of and I’ve been reading up for ages!! I’m going to look at everything suggested and see what resonates with me. I’m not sure what my reason is... I’ve always wanted to do it and after coming off a long 4 years of my husband’s recovery from a motorbike accident, me leaving my corporate job and going freelance plus having a milestone birthday next year it just feels like the right time... wish I was going this Sept to be honest! Thanks everybody!

Did I miss what your goal or reason is for walking the Camino? That would be key on determining where to walk your 100k. If getting a Compostela is the goal then it has to be the last 100k to Santiago de Compostela. Is your goal religious or sight seeing?
Thanks so much everyone for all your generous advice-so much I wasn’t aware of and I’ve been reading up for ages!! I’m going to look at everything suggested and see what resonates with me. I’m not sure what my reason is... I’ve always wanted to do it and after coming off a long 4 years of my husband’s recovery from a motorbike accident, me leaving my corporate job and going freelance plus having a milestone birthday next year it just feels like the right time... wish I was going this Sept to be honest! Thanks everybody!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Hi Mark, I don’t have a goal... I’d just like to experience it for myself now that my lifestyle finally allows me to have me time... and also to challenge myself to leave my comfort zone. So I guess that’s a spiritual journey of sorts:)

Hallo Linfoo,

welcome to the pilgrim family:)

If you want to walk 100-150km, so around one week, there are many options.
In September often a wave of people from the northern countries start their camino in the pyrenees, because they don´t want to walk in the heat of high summer, so it could be quite full around Pamplona.

Normaly it will be also in the beginning of September very hot on the middle part of the Camino Frances (Logrono, Burgos, Leon). Can you deal with temperatures around 30 ° Celsius and less shadow in the meseta?

As a newbie I was thankfull, that we had less temperatures at the beginning, to get in the mood and to "learn" how to walk, how long to walk etc.... It sounds a little bit stupid, I thought I learned to walk as a child, but walking with a heavy backpack in the heat, day by day, it´s another game.

The idea of @NorthernLight with the Camino Ingles sounds good to me. The distance fits to your wishes, you can get to the starting point quite well, you will be one of the "Inglesians" from your first step, no one who comes later or ends earlier ;) you will end in Santiago, it´s near the coast, so propably not so hot, it´s outside the "party zone".

For me it would be the wrong timeline to start in Santiago to walk to Finisterre, because I loved the magical feeling of the first arrival at the cathedral - all the happy pilgrims, pipe music in the background - that´s nothing for the start, that should be the highlight at the end.

I walked also the Camino Portugues. From the distance starting at the portuguese/spanish border in Valenca or Tui it´s also perfect for you. The way is good to walk, there is a very good transport system for the backpacks and, if you choose the variante Camino Espiritual, a really nice extra.

You'll have plenty of time to think things over and get some advice. There are so many ways, you will find one👍

Michael

Hallo Linfoo,

welcome to the pilgrim family:)

If you want to walk 100-150km, so around one week, there are many options.
In September often a wave of people from the northern countries start their camino in the pyrenees, because they don´t want to walk in the heat of high summer, so it could be quite full around Pamplona.

Normaly it will be also in the beginning of September very hot on the middle part of the Camino Frances (Logrono, Burgos, Leon). Can you deal with temperatures around 30 ° Celsius and less shadow in the meseta?

As a newbie I was thankfull, that we had less temperatures at the beginning, to get in the mood and to "learn" how to walk, how long to walk etc.... It sounds a little bit stupid, I thought I learned to walk as a child, but walking with a heavy backpack in the heat, day by day, it´s another game.

The idea of @NorthernLight with the Camino Ingles sounds good to me. The distance fits to your wishes, you can get to the starting point quite well, you will be one of the "Inglesians" from your first step, no one who comes later or ends earlier ;) you will end in Santiago, it´s near the coast, so propably not so hot, it´s outside the "party zone".

For me it would be the wrong timeline to start in Santiago to walk to Finisterre, because I loved the magical feeling of the first arrival at the cathedral - all the happy pilgrims, pipe music in the background - that´s nothing for the start, that should be the highlight at the end.

I walked also the Camino Portugues. From the distance starting at the portuguese/spanish border in Valenca or Tui it´s also perfect for you. The way is good to walk, there is a very good transport system for the backpacks and, if you choose the variante Camino Espiritual, a really nice extra.

You'll have plenty of time to think things over and get some advice. There are so many ways, you will find one👍

Michael

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks so much for your very considerate reply Michael! It’s opened up possibilities I hadn’t thought of. I do kind of feel that I want to save Santiago for the end. Like I’ve earned it😂 it may be on this trip, but it may be at the end of another at another time. The bug has definitely bitten and I haven’t even started. You have all been so inspirational, thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello, Planning Sarria to Campostela mid Sept, 2024. Both wife and I are 71 years old and from America. Will fly from Paris to Campostela. We are pretty active and estimate 10-13 miles per day OK...
I have been planning my upcoming Camino using the Wise Pilgrim Frances app. Unfortunately, it has stalled at Burgos and will not give me any information beyond that city. I have tried...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello peregrinos, we are Sara and Giuseppe, a Italian couple, we lost today a sleeping bag, in the way, from Pamplona to Puente De la Reina, anyone has found it? Let us know please.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.