• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First timer doing el Portuguese Camino

LizzyFlame

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Camino
Hello, I’m Lizzy from Toronto, CA. I just wanted to introduce myself to this community. I am doing the Portuguese Camino for first time starting in Lisbon this June 2023. So, I wanted to hear your thoughts on accommodations. I am walking with my sister and we wanted to know how easy it is to get a hostel at the end of the day, or is it safer to book ahead of time? Thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is an albergue in Lisbon. They are part of the association in Portugal you could PM them or @jungleboy who lives in Lisbon and writes about the Camino often.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I’m Lizzy from Toronto, CA. I just wanted to introduce myself to this community. I am doing the Portuguese Camino for first time starting in Lisbon this June 2023. So, I wanted to hear your thoughts on accommodations. I am walking with my sister and we wanted to know how easy it is to get a hostel at the end of the day, or is it safer to book ahead of time? Thanks.
It’s a topic which has attracted a lot of comment in recent months. You may enjoy the spontaneity and freedom which comes with walking without reservations (it’s my preference) or you may feel the need for certainty and pre-book; either ‘as you go’ or entirely in advance. It’s your choice.

June is historically not a peak month for numbers walking and everywhere that’s ever going to be open will be open.

Booking will limit your options. Typically the better appointed and more expensive accommodation will be more likely to take bookings.

Don’t assume that booking.com is the only way. That’s an even more limited choice (although the ease of booking is liked by many). If you do use that, please don’t make multiple bookings intending to cancel all but one. That’s more likely to lead to empty rooms and others being denied the option.

A suggestion: book your night in Lisbon and the next one or two, then see how you feel.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It’s a topic which has attracted a lot of comment in recent months. You may enjoy the spontaneity and freedom which comes with walking without reservations (it’s my preference) or you may feel the need for certainty and pre-book; either ‘as you go’ or entirely in advance. It’s your choice.

June is historically not a peak month for numbers walking and everywhere that’s ever going to be open will be open.

Booking will limit your options. Typically the better appointed and more expensive accommodation will be more likely to take bookings.

Don’t assume that booking.com is the only way. That’s an even more limited choice (although the ease of booking is liked by many. If you do use that, please don’t make multiple bookings intending to cancel all but one. That’s more likely to lead to empty rooms snd others being denied the option.

A suggestion: book your night in Lisbon and the next one or two, then see how you feel.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Although I have only been on the last three stages of the Portuguese, it is often reported that the section from Lisbon to Porto is less crowded than Porto onward. You should be able to get a feel for the situation, without worrying too much. At least until you get to Porto (which is a beautiful city with loads to discover).

What I typically do is book the first night (or two) and then wing it from there. It has been okay for me (so far). Sometimes as I get towards the end of my Camino (e.g. the last 100 km on the Frances) I start finding that when I get to an albergue it is already full with reservations. When that starts happening repeatedly, I start booking a day or two in advance. By that time, I generally have a good idea of how far I like to walk in a day. An exception to this rule is if there is a particular albergue that I want to stay in, that is popular and that takes reservations. Then I might book in advance. When I walked my Camino Portugues, Casa Fernanda was such an albergue, so that one I booked in advance (and planned my days to arrive on the right day). But generally, my experience of the Portugues (2018) was that booking in advance wasn't necessary.

And if you book the first couple of nights and find that it does seem to be warranted, you can start booking a night or two ahead.

Bom Caminho! (David, also from Toronto)

PS. Did you know that the Toronto Camino Community is hosting a Camino Meeting on Saturday March 4 at the Beach United Church, 140 Winevra Drive, doors open at 8:30 for a 9:00 am start?

Last edited:
What I typically do is book the first night (or two) and then wing it from there. It has been okay for me (so far). Sometimes as I get towards the end of my Camino (e.g. the last 100 km on the Frances) I start finding that when I get to an albergue it is already full with reservations. When that starts happening repeatedly, I start booking a day or two in advance. By that time, I generally have a good idea of how far I like to walk in a day. An exception to this rule is if there is a particular albergue that I want to stay in, that is popular and that takes reservations. Then I might book in advance. When I walked my Camino Portugues, Casa Fernanda was such an albergue, so that one I booked in advance (and planned my days to arrive on the right day). But generally, my experience of the Portugues (2018) was that booking in advance wasn't necessary.

And if you book the first couple of nights and find that it does seem to be warranted, you can start booking a night or two ahead.

PS. Did you know that the Toronto Camino Community is hosting a Camino Meeting on Saturday March 4 at the Beach United Church, 140 Winevra Drive, doors open at 8:30 for a 9:00 am

PS. Did you know that the Toronto Camino Community is hosting a Camino Meeting on Saturday March 4 at the Beach United Church, 140 Winevra Drive, doors open at 8:30 for a 9:00 am start?
Thank you so much for the info! I will make time to go on that date as I live nearby!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back