• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flights booked, it's official!

CaminoMatto

Hello all!

Matt from Alberta Canada here, I have been day dreaming for months and months about maybe, just maybe one day walking the Camino de Santiago and yesterday I took a giant step forward. My flights are officially booked, I depart to Paris on January 15th 2015 and have given myself 40 days to complete this remarkable journey.

I am a fit and active guy, but I have zero hiking or backpacking experience. I am not an experienced traveller at all and have never been out of the country by myself. I chose a winter camino for many reasons, mostly the lessened traffic but also because my current work contract ends just days before my departure. Rather then book another job right away, I chose to take six weeks and do something for myself, work is work and there is plenty of time for that in the future. If I don't take the time and do this NOW, I will make excuses and regret it for years to come. I could ramble on endlessly about my reasons for doing the camino, where my mind is at and what I hope to accomplish, but perhaps I should just keep it brief.

I will be frequenting this forum many many times in the next few months, I maybe in a bit over my head but that's ok, it's good to escape the comfort zone once in a while!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Matt,

Welcome to the Forum!

Now you are really on your way. You will find lots of helpful info here since veteran pilgrims like to share their practical advice and helpful tips.

Since you are from Alberta, Canada, you certainly know about snow. However, do scan the various threads re winter camino expense and walking in winter. Enter the terms winter, snow, etc. in the Forum search bar to find other posts,

Sillydoll/Amawalker who is a Forum member has compiled encyclopedic information on Winter Walking. Other good accounts of winter walking by Forum member Kialoa3 are his 2010 and later blogs.

Scan the Forum's Equipment topic to see a multitude of varied approaches for a winter kit. Most of us who walk in late autumn and winter wear and carry lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Each pilgrim develops a favorite combo. Here's my approach.

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is going to be a great experience for you. Lots of good advice and resources on this Forum. I encourage you to take advantage of all of them. Buen Camino !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Matt,

Good on you for pursuing this adventure.

I was not a walker or hiker when I decided in early January this year to walk the Camino Frances. In four weeks, I researched/purchased/tried my gear (many lists available on this forum), built my walking endurance to ten miles at a time (in rain, snow, and sub-zero F temperatures -- smiling ear to ear), and -- perhaps most importantly -- learned to care for my feet. You have lots of time to prepare!

No worries Matt.

Welcome Matt, that is wonderful! I don't have experience on the Camino yet but am an experienced backpacker. Since you have not backpacked I will offer a little advice. Find a pack that feels like part of your body and hasa good belt system on it. The weight of the pack is to rest on your hips and the shoulder straps stop it from falling backwards.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks to all for the replies, so much useful information, preparing for my camino is like a full time job ( a job I love of course).
Since buying my tickets I have of course continued reading everything and anything I can regarding the camino. After careful deliberation I purchased my pack and even went out and gave it a good road test. I bought a Osprey Kestrel 48 after seeing several video reviews on youtube. Not knowing anything about packs, I was grateful for the staff at Atmosphere who spent over an hour fitting me up and answering all my questions. The very next day I went to Kananaskis country here in Alberta and just walked all over the place for 5 hours. The pack felt GREAT but my knees......not so great. Oh well, I just assume I have inexperienced joint. On my next days off I will go to Banff national park and walk the paved trail between Canmore and Banff which is around 20 km's more or less. Anyways, back to looking at sleeping bags online!!

You've made a good choice in a backpack with the Kestrel. The backpack for my first Camino was not all that great. Bought a Kestrel 48 for my last Camino and it was definitely much better. 48 L is a good size too, it keeps you from packing too much. Might I suggest packing cubes. I take 4 with me ususally. One for pants, one for shirts, one for socks and underwear, and one for small miscellaneous equipment and odds and ends. Keeping things organized really helps to speed up packing and unpacking your backpack.

Matt,

I used a pair of walking sticks on my camino, and since when walking trails. I think you will find their use will relieve pain in your knees, while also toning your arms and shoulders.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello all!

Matt from Alberta Canada here, I have been day dreaming for months and months about maybe, just maybe one day walking the Camino de Santiago and yesterday I took a giant step forward. My flights are officially booked, I depart to Paris on January 15th 2015 and have given myself 40 days to complete this remarkable journey.

I am a fit and active guy, but I have zero hiking or backpacking experience. I am not an experienced traveller at all and have never been out of the country by myself. I chose a winter camino for many reasons, mostly the lessened traffic but also because my current work contract ends just days before my departure. Rather then book another job right away, I chose to take six weeks and do something for myself, work is work and there is plenty of time for that in the future. If I don't take the time and do this NOW, I will make excuses and regret it for years to come. I could ramble on endlessly about my reasons for doing the camino, where my mind is at and what I hope to accomplish, but perhaps I should just keep it brief.

I will be frequenting this forum many many times in the next few months, I maybe in a bit over my head but that's ok, it's good to escape the comfort zone once in a while!
Matt,

It would be great to connect. Please reach out if interested!

My name is melissa n i just decided to walk the camino and am starting from St. Jean on 18 January. Perhaps we shall meet along the way! I am from Colorado n love hiking n the outdoors tho sense the great unknown ahead, especially in terms of actual weather/terrain conditions, othet folks aling the way (sounds like we will be in shory supply!), and open hostels. I am coming in from Bulgaria by bus n am sleeping in St Jean on the 17th. Thanks! melissa

Congrats Matt! I am a fellow Calgarian as well, but I'm not tackling it until next year. I can't wait to check and see how it went for you!! Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back