• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food for thought when planning your VF walk

Bob from L.A. !

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis 2012, 2014, 2016. Camino Norte 2018
I am currently in La Fere France while walking from Canterbury to Rome.
Two days ago I was in Peronne and stopped in a bakery for a morning coffee. The owner/barista commented on my backpack, asking if I was walking through France to Switzerland. I told him I was, took my coffee and found a table.
Several minutes later he poured himself a coffee and came and sat at my table. We talked briefly about local things then he asked if I was walking through the agricultural/farm backroads in France
I told I was when conditions allowed.
He then cautioned me to not touch, pick up or step on any unusual items. He went on to explain through the years farm machinery has unearth a number of unexploded munitions from World Wars 1&2 in the region, and several farmers have been severely injured.
I thanked him and left bearing these cautions in mind.
I later Googled; "Zone Rouge France" and found the mapping of areas to be aware of when walking through the region.
I worked on this trip planning for a year and this topic never surfaced.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked mostly on canal towpaths through France. Not far from Peronne I sat on a low wall to rest and looked down at my feet. I spotted this in the gravel between my boots. Not dangerous in itself now but a reminder of the not-so-distant past. It is a region which was heavily fought over twice and not all that surprising that unexploded munitions appear from time to time. The number and size of the military cemeteries tells the story very vividly.
IMG_20221111_234750.jpg

I doubt it's an issue for walkers...unless you plan to do some excavating or boldly go where no-one has gone before...or at least not in the last 80 or so years.
I had heard of war relics surfacing occasionally but the likelihood of a walker just passing through coming to any harm is almost infinitesimal; I didn't give it a moments thought.
Instead I focussed my thoughts on the massive & senseless loss of life laid out so confrontingly along the way.
Of course heed local advice but weigh it up against actual risk.
Hope you're enjoying your VF so far.
Happy trails.
👣🌏

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have done work with an organization that's been very active in de-mining and Unexploded Ordnance (UXO) in Vietnam. While they do find the majority of their old munitions surface during farming (plowing/ploughing) or construction operations, quite a few just seem to work their way to the surface through rain and other natural processes. So, your local's advice was still kind and appropriate.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Working in a potato-chip factory many years ago; when processing potatoes from northern France and Belgium our metal detectors separated out a couple of First World War hand grenades every week. Whenever we had a bucket-full the army used to collect them.
On exercise in Poland with the British Army in the 1990s I was digging a trench along with the unit doctor - we were both very bored that day. There was a clang from Bob's shovel and he said "We'd better stop now." "Why?" "Cos I've just hit a bomb!". Called out the disposal squad who arrived with the back of their Land Rover half full of shells and other military junk. The Soviets were not very thorough in tidying up after exercises. When the bomb squad did a controlled explosion in a nearby swamp at least one proved to be high explosive. I personally found another two in the course of the exercise. One when on a shovel recce in a clump of bushes. Quite fortunate in the circumstances....

On exercise in Poland with the British Army in the 1990s I was digging a trench along with the unit doctor - we were both very bored that day. There was a clang from Bob's shovel and he said "We'd better stop now." "Why?" "Cos I've just hit a bomb!". Called out the disposal squad who arrived with the back of their Land Rover half full of shells and other military junk. The Soviets were not very thorough in tidying up after exercises. When the bomb squad did a controlled explosion in a nearby swamp at least one proved to be high explosive. I personally found another two in the course of the exercise. One when on a shovel recce in a clump of bushes. Quite fortunate in the circumstances....
That would have certainly speeded up the purpose of your ‘reconnaissance’.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked mostly on canal towpaths through France. Not far from Peronne I sat on a low wall to rest and looked down at my feet. I spotted this in the gravel between my boots. Not dangerous in itself now but a reminder of the not-so-distant past. It is a region which was heavily fought over twice and not all that surprising that unexploded munitions appear from time to time. The number and size of the military cemeteries tells the story very vividly.
View attachment 146974
Three times! Franco-Prussian War as well.

Bob, I'd wondered where you were as I'd not noticed any new posts, yet knew you were planning the full Via F. this spring. I will be watching for your updates.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.