• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking VF in March

Karienepientje

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting 09-01
Hi all,

This past september I have finished the Camino Frances from SJPdP and now I am looking to walk a small portion of the VF in March, probably in Italy or perhaps France if there are good suggestions.

I'm looking to walk some shorter stages in beautiful landscapes, anywhere between, say, 7 and 21 days. When I'm finished I will take public transport to spend a few days in Rome or another pretty city.

I know it's pretty early in the season. Can anyone recommend a route that would be suitable to walk in March? What weather and gear should I take into account? Any other information on the VF is also welcome as it is a lot harder to come by good info compared to the CF.

Thank you!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm looking to walk some shorter stages in beautiful landscapes, anywhere between, say, 7 and 21 days. When I'm finished I will take public transport to spend a few days in Rome or another pretty city.

You can start at San Miniatio to do most of Tuscany which will bring you close to Rome for the final days.

There is a rail link to SM but it's a few miles away from the actual town. There are buses from the station. The first goes to SM Basso (lower town) and there is a small bus that goes to SM Alto (upper town) which is where you want to be.

From SM you'll walk to Monteriggini, Siena, San Gimignano, and others through beautiful Italian countryside. Sections in the link

Thank you for the suggestions.
Does anyone know: is March too early for flowers to bloom etc in Tuscany? I would be sad to walk in a wintery landscape just missing out on spring by only a few weeks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have a look at YouTube. There are a lot of VF videos, usually by Italians, which might give you the answer. I did mine in late May which was ideal for temperatures which can be too high later in the year.

You can start at San Miniatio to do most of Tuscany which will bring you close to Rome for the final days.

There is a rail link to SM but it's a few miles away from the actual town. There are buses from the station. The first goes to SM Basso (lower town) and there is a small bus that goes to SM Alto (upper town) which is where you want to be.

From SM you'll walk to Monteriggini, Siena, San Gimignano, and others through beautiful Italian countryside. Sections in the link

Just a question, why would I start from SM and not from Lucca? Will I miss out on beautiful landmarks/landscapes if I start from SM?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Its as @Bradypus says but if you want to start in Lucca (and I loved Lucca and its walls - pic) you can take the train from Lucca to Florence and then back out to SM. And then the walk to Siena and its Palazzo Pubblico.

Attachments

• IMG_1848.JPG
    IMG_1848.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestions.
Does anyone know: is March too early for flowers to bloom etc in Tuscany? I would be sad to walk in a wintery landscape just missing out on spring by only a few weeks.
Hi,

We are in Gambassi Terme and the the flowers are just starting to bloom.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone recommend a place to stay in Jougne, the end of the last stage in France? Thanks. Karl

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back