• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

France to launch summer rail pass in 2024

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Time of past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
https://www.lemonde.fr/en/france/ar...aunch-summer-rail-pass-in-2024_6127777_7.html

France will next summer launch a bargain-price monthly pass valid on certain trains nationwide, directly copying a hugely successful move in Germany to encourage greener transport, a minister said Thursday. The "Pass Rail" would cost around €49 a month and allow users unlimited travel nationwide on TER regional trains and intercity trains, Transport Minister Clément Beaune told France 2 television.

"It will be simple. The French − irrespective of their age − can buy this pass and have unlimited travel on an intercity or TER for a flat, inexpensive price," Beaune said. President Emmanuel Macron said on Monday that France's regional authorities had agreed to the move, which follows limitations on domestic air travel imposed earlier this year.

The fact that this includes the Intercity trains, and not just the TER trains, might make this a viable travel option for pilgrims making their way to any of the starting points in the country, particularly those wishing to spend some time in France before starting to walk.

Also :

[Beaune] said the pass would be launched from the summer with a price similar to that of the German system. The German version does not include high-speed German ICE trains and France's high-speed TGV will also not be included in the French pass. Beaune said "if possible" the French pass would also cover local transport by metro, bus and tram within cities.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Merci @JabbaPapa I hadn't seen that announcement. We use the trains a lot in France - including the TERs and Intercities. If you're planning a reasonable amount of travel in a particular month, this would be very economical.

Is this only for the French?
It says 'the French' above, but will be interesting to see. My husband is French and I'm Australian. We both have an annual SNCF Carte Advantage - no nationality restriction on that. So, we'll see what comes.

Last edited by a moderator:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It says 'the French' above, but will be interesting to see. My husband is French and I'm Australian. We both have an annual SNCF Carte Advantage - no national restriction on that. So, we'll see what comes.
It would be surprising that such an advantage would be reserved to french travellers only.
For sure it is for anybody travelling in France.

Is this only for the French?
Extremely unlikely -- it's just how French politicians speak.

Restricting this to French Nationals only would very likely be unconstitutional and against EU Law.

It's possible that it could be only EU Nationals and residents of EU countries + non-EU Schengen countries, but I'd doubt it. The Minister said on TV that ce pass serait destiné à tous les passagers, for all rail travellers, TGV ones excepted.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Extremely unlikely -- it's just how French politicians speak.

Restricting this to French Nationals only would very likely be unconstitutional and against EU Law.

It's possible that it could be only EU Nationals and residents of EU countries + non-EU Schengen countries, but I'd doubt it. The Minister said on TV that ce pass serait destiné à tous les passagers, for all rail travellers, TGV ones excepted.
I used the one in Germany (UK resident) Same price 49 euro. Didn’t include inter city trains. Included all region S and U Bahn and buses. Was open to all but you had to pay via a German bank account and you set it up as a regular payment every month and cancelled when you don’t want. I don’t know if there was any other way to pay in Germany. I assume not as my mate paid via his bank account. Hopefully France will accept credit and debit cards!

Last edited:
DANG! Flying to Nice next week with full intentions to take trains to\from Antibes and Cannes. Would've come in handy

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Train fares in Portugal are half price for over 65s. I'm British and thought it might have been for EU citizens only. But it is for everyone, I was offered it earlier this year. Though that's always slightly disappointing if you like to kid yourself that you don't look your age....

The aim of this French project for the summer of 2024 is the same as the aim of the "Germany Ticket" for €49 monthly in 2023: Reduce air travel and car travel and encourage more people to use public transport.

Their aim is not to co-finance your holiday trip within France.

It will have little effect for forum members: The majority on here travels from Paris to Bayonne and takes high-speed trains which are excluded from the project.

At the end of the Le Monde article someone points out a major issue: Who will pay for this manna? Quote: Macron's move has already raised eyebrows in some quarters with Franck Dhersin, vice-president of the northern Hauts-de-France region in charge of transport, saying that while the "president often has good ideas... It's your idea and you can finance it." Actually, that is a bad summary and/or translation. What he said was this: "Le président de la République a souvent de très bonnes idées, mais il faut surtout qu'il arrête d'avoir des idées avec le pognon des collectivités locales". Meaning that the national government has the grand idea and the regional governments have to finance it from their own budgets. Just like in Germany in 2023 where it's the same issue.

What we can do on the forum is to stop encouraging people to take the plane from Paris to Biarritz because "it's cheaper and faster than the train".

The aim of this French project for the summer of 2024 is the same as the aim of the "Germany Ticket" for €49 monthly in 2023: Reduce air travel and car travel and encourage more people to use public transport.
Yes. I'm all for it. We love our train travel in France ... yes, even though there are sometimes disruptions!
What we can do on the forum is to stop encouraging people to take the plane from Paris to Biarritz because "it's cheaper and faster than the train".
Oui!

Also, and not really relevant for pilgrims, but I received a notice the other day that the Paris Berlin night train is back, or coming back.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes. I'm all for it. We love our train travel in France ... yes, even though there are sometimes disruptions!

Oui!

Also, and not really relevant for pilgrims, but I received a notice the other day that the Paris Berlin night train is back, or coming back.
I think mentioned before here a few times, in Spain there are various offers on Alsa and Renfe all with certain T and C’s which people should check out. I am travelling Alsa later today and was playing around with ther App and they seem to have promos fare (I only checked one route) for two people travelling together. Not sure if Italy has any plans but will check.

I have also noticed Alsa seem to be introducing very small fares on routes for maybe one bus a day. So I am am travelling MAD to ALC later today. The normal fare is approx 30-35 euro. I booked about two months ago there was one bus with a fare of 5 euro. It’s a good timings and an express bus too.

I believe the once popular Eurail pass can only be purchased outside of Europe, so it is specially for non-Europeans.

-Paul

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think mentioned before here a few times, in Spain there are various offers on Alsa and Renfe all with certain T and C’s which people should check out. I am travelling Alsa later today and was playing around with ther App and they seem to have promos fare (I only checked one route) for two people travelling together. Not sure if Italy has any plans but will check.

I have also noticed Alsa seem to be introducing very small fares on routes for maybe one bus a day. So I am am travelling MAD to ALC later today. The normal fare is approx 30-35 euro. I booked about two months ago there was one bus with a fare of 5 euro. It’s a good timings and an express bus too.
Maybe not quite the thread but just got off an ALSA bis and they seem to have upgraded some of their fleet since I last used that a few months back. TVs at every seat and more charging points than you will ever need!

Yea Europeans can buy the Interrail pass.

Eurail and Interrail are similar but there are differences, especially in price and where to buy them.

-Paul

Eurail and Interrail are similar but there are differences, especially in price and where to buy them.

-Paul
Yea for sure! Similar but different. Interrail did a 50% discount last year for their 50th birthday so a 3 Month €902 33 country ticket became €451 and it felt like half of Europe bought one!!

Well, the preliminary version of this scheme will be quite underwhelming from a pilgrim perspective.

It will be available for €49/month only for the months of July and August this year and only for those who are under 27 years old.

Perhaps the offer will improve in future, but then again perhaps not.

Well, the preliminary version of this scheme will be quite underwhelming from a pilgrim perspective.

It will be available for €49/month only for the months of July and August this year and only for those who are under 27 years old.

Perhaps the offer will improve in future, but then again perhaps not.
Ah shame that. The German version (also €49) had no age/date restriction /date and is a great offer and judging by how ‘extra busy’ the trains seem to be, has a high ‘sign up’ rate. Wonder if they are treading carefully with the Olympics and Paralympics coming up!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back