(French) First timers : Easter 2010

FrenchGwen

Jan 27, 2010
My husband and I are now preparing for our Camino: our original plans where to walk it for our first anniversary (which was Summer 2009) but we finally couldn't. AND we realized that we'd better avoid the summer season anyway : said husband really can't cope with heat.
So we took the most days we could off from work and are now preparing to head towards Santiago, arrival there is planned on Easter Saturday.
We'll be walking from March 25th on. Starting point is not yet fixed, somewhere around O Cebreiro, I suppose.

I have LOADS of interrogations I hope to find answers here to :
- I expect the weather to be quite bad, so not sure what to pack
- for the same reason + the fact that we are average walkers (though being young might help) : I'm wondering how much km a day we'll manage (I'm planning for around 18/20 in order to be able to play tourists / go to the different Easter Masses at the end of our walking days)
- we're planning to sleep in private albergues / hotels in order to get double rooms: I'm wondering if we can simply go and find ourselves a place every evening (as the end of March is not supposed to be high season for the Camino), OR should book them ahead (since it's 2010 at the same time, so it may be crowded) - of course we're booking ahead for Santiago itself :wink:

I will be thankful for any piece of advice from you !
FrenchGwen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

frescotours

Aug 30, 2006
Bilbao, Spain
www.frescotours.com
Time of past OR future Camino
First one Frances 1999 (from Burgos), since then...over 100 in Galicia, Portugal, Basque....
In terms of what to pack, here is a look at the average temperatures / rainfall by month in Sarria and Santiago: http://www.frescotours.com/about_faqs.asp#02
Take note that it can be much cooler up in O'Cebreiro and snow is not uncommon at that time of year. Dress in layers!

Click on the following link for the elevation gain / loss and distance between villages from O'Cebriero to Santiago:http://www.frescotours.com/about_faqs.asp#09 20KM's a day will get you there in 8 days - very doable.

Easter can be extremely busy on the trail for hotels and restaurants - people who work in the hotels on the trail will tell you that it can be as busy as August. If you are sure that is what you are going to do, your best bet would be to make reservations beforehand.

Hope this helps - good luck and enjoy the Camino - an amazing experience!

Saludos,

Alex

FrenchGwen

Jan 27, 2010
Many thanks Fresco !Indeed the elevation link is very helpful ! :D
So you think the trail will be very busy even though Easter is quite early this year ? :? Hmm. That's definitely what I want to do, but I had expected to be able to just "walk and see" where our feet would bring us. :roll:
Well, I guess I'll have even more planning to do

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

frescotours

Aug 30, 2006
Bilbao, Spain
www.frescotours.com
First one Frances 1999 (from Burgos), since then...over 100 in Galicia, Portugal, Basque....
Easter week traditionally has been considered the "start" of the season on the Camino. In one week, people have enough time to start from Sarria (115KM) and reach Santiago to receive the Compostelana Certificate. A little planning now and you'll be fine - enjoy it!

FrenchGwen

Jan 27, 2010
Well, it does make sense. :?
my "miam miam dodo" book (about hostels & restaurants) should have arrived from amazon by this evening ( I can't wait for it to be there !!!), I suppose I'll use this weekend for the whole planning & booking thing :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

FrenchGwen

Jan 27, 2010
Well, if you can, I suppose il would well be worth it :|
We have no other possibility, so...
The 100 km mark is around Sarria, So maybe the bit between O Cebreiro and Sarria at least will be less busy ?
But no idea what the Spanish really do. I got the impression (when seeking an hotel in Santiago) that they managed to arrive in Santiago for Easter Thursay, whereas, my husband and I will just aim at arriving there on Easter Saturday. So we may be preceded by hordes, without actually walking with them. No idea, though !

annakappa

RIP 2024
Jan 6, 2009
Costa Rica
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
sulu said:
Where exactly is the 100km mark please?
The 100 km marker is between Brea and Ferreiros.
Considering that Holy Week is a big thing, many people (including the Spaniards) take advantage of the weekend before (Palm Sunday weekend) plus Easter weekend, thereby getting at least 4 extra days walking, plus their paid holiday days in between. I would therefore expect that Pilgrim numbers start increasing on the Friday before Palm Sunday. I may be wrong? Anne

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

FrenchGwen

Jan 27, 2010
so, we've got quite far with the planning now
- French train tickets are bought (from Paris to the Spanish border). Still missing: Spanish train tickets (my credit card somehow makes problems)
- Return Plane tickets are bought too
- All nights booked in hostals, private albergues, ... (booking on the phone in Spanish was a great experiment for somebody who's never spoken a word Spanish before :lol: ) except the first because I'm not sure how far we'll get on the first day, depending on how we have slept in the night train / how fast we'll walk / any delay there could be
- I've got an idea of where we'll be able to get the different Holy Week Masses
- the content of our bags is slowly being gathered around as the mail service keeps bringing stuff:
our Altuses came yesterday, as did the special anti-blisters socks my brother, who is in the military, warmly recommended 8)
we bought thermal underwear
we'll be buying my husband's shoes as well as rain pants tomorrow, and will take advantage of our Sunday afternoon to make a first walk with these new shoes.

Getting excited !! :D

Arn

Veteran Member
Dec 3, 2007
Virginia, USA
FrenchGwen noted:we bought thermal underwear

I was following along with your planning and mentally ticking off the things you were buying and adding up the weight.

May I suggest you review some of the threads that speak to what to consider as far as what to take...or not. Pack weight is critical and, while hiking long distances in the wild might require carrying many things...the CF is a connection of towns and cities where you can purchase many of your expendables.

Most thermal underwear weren't designed for long hikes in relatively mild temperatures: 40 degrees F/4.4 degrees C and above. If you start your day wearing them, they will shortly begin heating up and, since you may just press on instead of taking them off...they become wet from sweat and once wet...they chaff and begin wicking away your body temp when you stop along the way. Then, unless you arrive at an albergue with a washer and dryer...they don't dry fully...and you begin the next day with wet clammy clothes.

Rather, consider a long sleeve, light weight poly-pro 80%/cotton mix 20% shirt, a fleece sleeveless vest and a wind breaker. Each of these can be added to or subtracted from in short order...as your body finds the comfortable temp it seeks. In rain, your Altus will serve you well.

Just a thought,

Buen Camino,

Arn

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

FrenchGwen

Jan 27, 2010
Thanks Arn for your input. :D Indeed I'm still wondering about the weight issue (will have a go at packing as soon as our gaiters and other missing items are here), yet I suppose the fact that we won't be taking any sleeping bags and the like (since we'll be sleeping in hostals) leads me to think we can take more other things... :oops:
Hm. I might be wrong.
As regards the thermal underwear, as anyone here experience with Thermolactyl ? (from the French brand Damart). They are said to be quite adapted to hiking, and that's what I picked for us.
Another possibility would be we wear them for our next "shoe breaking session" as a test, but well, these sessions do not last the whole day so... :?:

Anyway, our first shoe-breaking session on Saturday went well, grey weather so very few people in the Bois de Vincennes, and a foretaste of nature (well I suppose calling the Bois de Vincennes a "foretaste of nature" really shows how nature-starved we Parisians are) :)

Please keep the advice going, and thanks !

sulu

Veteran Member
Jan 25, 2010
Galicia, Spain
notdunroaminyet.blogspot.com
a few since 2010
Can I add to the thermal bit. I know weather is unpredictable and one can never be certain but I live in the hills of Orense (Galicia) and it is some time since the weather here was really cold, (at least for a Brit!). Even with the storms this last week temperatures have been around the 10C mark. I walk everyday and find I'm very warm very shortly, I'm sometimes very wet as well and that is the bigger problem, and when the sun shines, which it does, there is a deal of heat in it!
Having said that it will probably snow from now on :roll:
Sue

D

Deleted member 3000

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

FrenchGwen

Jan 27, 2010
Well, here we are... already back, as we only had planned on 180 km (since we were not able to take more days off work :cry: )
It was SUCH a splendid experience (although difficult)
I'll try to tell a bit as soon as I get time ! (surprinsigly, a huge workload was waiting for me today... :roll: :mrgreen: )

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

nellpilgrim

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2009
Ireland
bigwalky.blogspot.com
SDC-Fisterra 08/Camino Frances SJPP to SDC 09/Nuremburg-SDC 11- ongoing
Welcome back Gwen,
Congratulations on completing your first segment of Camino... don't get too downhearted remember the rest is there waiting for you to return when you can. Writing up my journal/blog was enjoyable, brought back great memories and seems to fuel ones compulsion to 'do more'.
And of course there's so much 'more' to do! At the moment I feel a little like Balaam's donkey torn between all the alternative routes - each time I read someones blog I'm drawn to the Camino route they took ... which is distressingly fickle I know:?
Nell

Most read last week in this forum

Good morning! My name is Samantha, and I am planning my first camino for May 2025. I am a bit overwhelmed trying to make a list of everything I need to have planned prior to starting. Does anyone...
Hi all, last year I done the camino portuguese with my two daughters last year but this year I'm doing the camino frances solo. I fly into Bizarrtz on 26th July and plan to start the following...
Hello! I will start my first Camino at the beginning of June 2024 and plan to start my month-long journey from Bilbao walking roughly 2 weeks on Camino Del Norte and then switching to Camino Del...
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...
Taking my youngest daughter on a short section from Astorga to Santiago starting June 9... Please pray for us!!

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.