• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • 20% off everything Altus the next few days at the Camino Forum Store. More here. (Discount taken at check out)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Low fee ATMs. Where

Bedspring

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
I have noticed a few threads about cards and with drawing money. For me as a UK citizen with the top 3 overseas cards, Chase, Clarirty and Barclay card, the main issue is where to find low fee ATM along the Camino.

Any pointers appreciated.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I have noticed a few threads about cards and with drawing money. For me as a UK citizen with the top 3 overseas cards, Chase, Clarirty and Barclay card, the main issue is where to find low fee ATM along the Camino.

Spain has become a nightmare re ATM fees for UK cardholders. Never pay a fee in France, Italy, or Germany, but most of the big players in Spain charge €6-7 per transaction. I used to use Deutsche Bank who didn’t charge a fee, but they are at €3-4 now. Sabadell was only a couple of Euro when I used them a few months back. Some of the smaller regional bank don’t charge a fee but I couldn’t name them.

That said you don’t need much and one transation should be enough. I recently spent 3 months in Spain and didn’t use cash once, but you do need some on a Camino as some places don’t take cash and some have minimum spend.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Abanca charged no fees to my euro account held in an EU country, but that may not be true for other accounts in other currencies or jurisdictions.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree. If we were to make withdrawals every couple of days, it would be worth shopping around, sure. But for the sake of a couple of withdrawals over the course of a whole camino, is it worth worrying about? A pilgrim coming from a far away land, was recently concerned about the average cost of a menu del dia... for a four day camino.. that's just a few meals. Does it really matter? How privileged we are.

Does it really matter?
I guess that it depends on your personal situation.

There are six barbers in my local "village". I frequent the barber that cuts my hair the way that I like and who also charges me less than the barber with the fancy advertising.

I was amused when I was in downtown Melbourne last year to notice that some barbers were offering "free" alcohol drinks with a haircut. 🦘

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I don’t expect my barber to cut my hair for free. I don’t expect the mechanic who keeps my old jalopy running to do it for free. Why does everyone expect the multinational integrated banking system that can deliver them cash in the appropriate currency anywhere in the world to do what they do for free??
Well it’s never truly free of course and banks will make a positive return from the rate they buy it at versus the rate they sell it to you at. So it’s up to you how much ‘extra’ want to pay and you have the choice of paying the the ATM fee, and/or a fee to your bank, and if you really want to go for gold and demonstrate how much you appreciate the service, you can convert at their rate! There are always opportunities to pay more!

I carried out a transaction last week for where it was possible for me to pay total charges of approx 0.5% using one card and the potential to play around 15% depending on the card I used and the options I chose.

Last edited:
I guess that it depends on your personal situation.

There are six barbers in my local "village". I frequent the barber that cuts my hair the way that I like and who also charges me less than the barber with the fancy advertising.

I was amused when I was in downtown Melbourne last year to notice that some barbers were offering "free" alcohol drinks with a haircut. 🦘
This forum strikes be as pretty affluent overall, judging by the demographic, the conversations we have, the fact that many seem to have access to credit, and of course the that we are often talking spending $5k ish on a hobby/interest. That’s good and we should all be happy with that, but many people I met on Camino were interested in saving €5 (yes really), even if only every couple of weeks. Younger Europeans in the main I guess so if we can support that it does help folks.

Last edited:
I found that while some Spanish ATMs were no or low fee, my bank at home charged a significant amount for each withdrawal.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I found that while some Spanish ATMs were no or low fee, my bank at home charged a significant amount for each withdrawal.
Yes they will. The two are unconnected. You can look to change that if you so wish. The OP has the three cards that are rated the top 3 in UK for which the card issuer does not charge fees for overseas transactions. Many UK card issuers charge 2.99%!

This forum strikes be as pretty affluent overall, judging by the demographic, the conversations we have, the fact that many seem to have access to credit, and of course the that we are often talking spending $5k ish on a hobby/intinterest
Yes. My own comments were aimed at the forum readership in general.

but many people I met on Camino were interested in saving €5 (yes really), even if only every couple of weeks. Younger Europeans in the main I guess
True indeed, and my hat goes off to young people who manage to stretch their funds in order to prolong their travel experience. My son came back recently from eight months around Europe and North Africa. I wouldn't last a month on what he survived on,

I don’t expect my barber to cut my hair for free. I don’t expect the mechanic who keeps my old jalopy running to do it for free. Why does everyone expect the multinational integrated banking system that can deliver them cash in the appropriate currency anywhere in the world to do what they do for free??
Why is that on Forums, when someone asks a specific question, someone has to question their motives, when it is absolutely non of their business. Why not go and start your own thread. This thread could have been a good resource for people looking for low or no fee ATMs.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bankinter charged 3 or 4 € and also allowed a 400€ withdrawal rather than the 300€ limit I’ve come across with others.
Yea limits important too as the more you get out the ‘cheaper’ it gets. Many parts of the world charge a %age but Spain is fixed fee regardless of amount.

I forgot to mention there’s an app - ATMFeeSaver - that tells you fees, limits, and proximity to your location. Used it in Colombia last month for first time, where fees and especially limits vary hugely. and saved a few quid. Probably as good as the users info it receives but seemed pretty accurate.

From a UK card standpoint DB was free for a long time for me but noticed a charge introduced summer 2023.
Yes DB was always a good one to aim for sad to hear this is changing. I think I will get some from an ATM in France.
Obviously do not wish to spend hours walking from ATM to ATM checking fees, but if I know in advance and spot a free one as I go I will get a top up, and the trick as always, is knowing what to look for.

I forgot to mention there’s an app - ATMFeeSaver - that tells you fees, limits, and proximity to your location. Used it in Colombia last month for first time, where fees and especially limits vary hugely. and saved a few quid. Probably as good as the users info it receives but seemed pretty accurate.
An App, there is always and App, I shall download it now, Mucho Gracias.

Yes DB was always a good one to aim for sad to hear this is changing. I think I will get some from an ATM in France.
Obviously do not wish to spend hours walking from ATM to ATM checking fees, but if I know in advance and spot a free one as I go I will get a top up, and the trick as always, is knowing what to look for.
Indeed. Double check DB - I did try a few with no joy but worth a relook. Can’t find it mentioned on there sight re introduction of fees.

Why is that on Forums, when someone asks a specific question, someone has to question their motives, when it is absolutely non of their business. Why not go and start your own thread. This thread could have been a good resource for people looking for low or no fee ATMs.
Use the report function as the mods can’t see everything. Sure they would have deleted as think a rule was introduced re sarcy comments!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Agreed, but nor do I expect my barber to charge €50 or the equivalent for giving me an all over number 1. €7 for an ATM withdrawal. I think that is excessive.

@Lindsay is making a good point that is often overlooked in these threads: What you are charged when you make a withdrawal in € at an ATM in Spain while your own bank account is in £ or $ depends on a number of factors, and it is not always obvious how the total fee is calculated and who earns it.

In general: The total fee for a withdrawal depends (or may depend) on your own bank in your country, on the ATM bank in Spain, on the transnational network that processes this cross border financial transaction (there are several different networks), on what the ATM bank in Spain charges Spanish customers who have a bank account with another bank in Spain, and even - and this is not widely known - whether your own bank's country belongs to SEPA (Single European Payment Area) or not. The UK's finance and banking system belongs to SEPA - even after Brexit.

So the fees that individual forum members quote for their ATM withdrawal in Spain is of somewhat limited comparability. Oh, and the ATM withdrawal fees also depend (or may depend) on whether one uses a credit card or a debit card.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Lindsay is making a good point that is often overlooked in these threads: What you are charged when you make a withdrawal in € at an ATM in Spain while your own bank account is in £ or $ depends on a number of factors, and it is not always obvious how the total fee is calculated and who earns it.

In general: The total fee for a withdrawal depends (or may depend) on your own bank in your country, on the ATM bank in Spain, on the transnational network that processes this cross border financial transaction (there are several different networks), on what the ATM bank in Spain charges Spanish customers who have a bank account with another bank in Spain, and even - and this is not widely known - whether your own bank's country belongs to SEPA (Single European Payment Area) or not. The UK's finance and banking system belongs to SEPA - even after Brexit.

So the fees that individual forum members quote for their ATM withdrawal in Spain is of somewhat limited comparability. Oh, and the ATM withdrawal fees also depend (or may depend) on whether one uses a credit card or a debit card.

Indeed. I guess for me, folks have more control over their own personal bank accounts, and if fees are important to them they can get the right cards in advance of travel as the OP has done in this case, and the USA folks do with Charles Schwab. Once you are away you have less ‘control’.

For £1000 of withdrawal one of my cards charges me 0 and one charges £30. Same numbers contactless. If I can save another £20 at the Spanish end that is £50 so I guess 2-3 nights in an albergue.

There is a Spanish website - Helpmycash.com - that lists the fees that a Spanish customer has to pay when withdrawing cash from an ATM in Spain. It may be helpful to identify and locate those banks that have no fees or low fees for withdrawals by foreign customers.

Below is a copy of the first lines of their table (last updated in February 2023):

Cuàl es tu banco - Your own bank
En qué cajero quieres sacar dinero - ATM bank

Withdrawal fees.jpg

There may also be a "foreign transaction fee" even if you withdraw your home currency. I once made the mistake of withdrawing Sterling from my UK bank account at Dublin airport!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There is a Spanish website - Helpmycash.com - that lists the fees that a Spanish customer has to pay when withdrawing cash from an ATM in Spain. It may be helpful to identify and locate those banks that have no fees or low fees for withdrawals by foreign customers.

Below is a copy of the first lines of their table (last updated in February 2023):

Cuàl es tu banco - Your own bank
En qué cajero quieres sacar dinero - ATM bank

View attachment 171109
Thanks for the chart. Most interesting

As an aside I never even thought that Spanish banks would charge customers of other Spanish banks a fee for withdrawal. I guess it’s not ‘a thing’ in the UK so I assumed too much. So a Lloyds customer wouldn’t be charged a fee at a Santander bank in the UK. Just as well as many of us bank digitally with banks that don’t have a physical presence.

Acknowledge you underscore and emphasise ‘may’ for foreign transitions. As a UK customer I recognise the Sabadell fee of 1.80 so parity there. Sadly BBVA, Caixa , Santander et al are definately up at the €6- €7 level.

Thanks for the chart. Most interesting

As an aside I never even thought that Spanish banks would charge customers of other Spanish banks a fee for withdrawal. I guess it’s not ‘a thing’ in the UK so I assumed too much. So a Lloyds customer wouldn’t be charged a fee at a Santander bank in the UK. Just as well as many of us bank digitally with banks that don’t have a physical presence.

Acknowledge you underscore and emphasise ‘may’ for foreign transitions. As a UK customer I recognise the Sabadell fee of 1.80 so parity there. Sadly BBVA, Caixa , Santander et al are definately up at the €6- €7 level.
It used to be the same in the UK until about 25 years ago or thereabouts (but charges were only about 20p. It is still the case in many European countries. Here in Greece I pay €1.50 to withdraw cash from a different bank's ATM.

It used to be the same in the UK until about 25 years ago or thereabouts (but charges were only about 20p. It is still the case in many European countries. Here in Greece I pay €1.50 to withdraw cash from a different bank's ATM.
Well I never knew that about European banks!! So those who bank digitally (N26), always pay a fee? I appreciate digital may be far bigger in UK, possibly, than other European countries!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Having to pay an ATM withdrawal fee is not unusual when you withdraw cash from the ATM of a bank where you are not a customer and it is not a 'partner bank' of your own bank. In addition to Spain and Greece (see @Molly Cassidy's post) this is also the case in Germany and presumably in other European countries, too.

@Ungawawa created and updated a Spanish ATM cash-machine fee cheat-sheet, see August 2023 update.

I seem to remember that @Dorpie (RIP) once started a list of ATM withdrawal fees in Spain but I can't find it.

It would be ideal if people always mentioned whether they used a credit card or a debit card for their ATM cash withdrawal, what the name of the bank is that issued the card (and in which country it was issued) and what the name of the ATM bank in Spain is. And whether this happened recently or some time ago.

Having to pay an ATM withdrawal fee is not unusual when you withdraw cash from the ATM of a bank where you are not a customer and it is not a 'partner bank' of your own bank. In addition to Spain and Greece (see @Molly Cassidy's post) this is also the case in Germany and presumably in other European countries, too.

@Ungawawa created and updated a Spanish ATM cash-machine fee cheat-sheet, see August 2023 update.

I seem to remember that @Dorpie (RIP) once started a list of ATM withdrawal fees in Spain but I can't find it.

It would be ideal if people always mentioned whether they used a credit card or a debit card for their ATM cash withdrawal, what the name of the bank is that issued the card (and in which country it was issued) and what the name of the ATM bank in Spain is. And whether this happened recently or some time ago.
Sure understood. I get it. Just assumed the UK system would be more widespread. I guess I generally don’t pay a fee in Germany as a UK customer so not sure how that tally’s with domestic consumer. @Molly Cassidy while you are here, wfsts the the deal in Greece for a UK cardholder with fees. Assume contactless is big?

No, in France, withdrawals are generally not invoiced.
Generally your bank allows several "foreign withdrawals" (ie withdrawals from another bank) without fees.
However a problem of equity is raised by digital banks without ATMs (N26, Revolut...): they rely upon their competitors to provide the service...

It is still the case in many European countries. Here in Greece I pay €1.50 to withdraw cash from a different bank's ATM.
Ditto in Germany if the bank’s don’t have an agreement to the contrary, although the fee’s seem to vary. Because I have accounts at two of the most common I can’t remember the last time I was in this situation though.

In NZ most banks no longer charge a fee for withdrawing cash at another banks ATM.

In both NZ and Germany it’s common to withdraw cash when making a purchase at the supermarket, with zero fees.

guess I generally don’t pay a fee in Germany as a UK customer

Many banks, such as Westpac (both AU and NZ), Barclays, Scotiabank, Bank of America, Deutschebank etc have formed an international alliance ( Global ATM Alliance) which charge each other’s clients no ATM access fees. This of course varies, and can be complicated- for example whilst I pay nothing at a Barclays branch in the UK, I may if I use a Barclays ATM in Germany. (It’s country specific)

Sure understood. I get it. Just assumed the UK system would be more widespread. I guess I generally don’t pay a fee in Germany as a UK customer so not sure how that tally’s with domestic consumer. @Molly Cassidy while you are here, wfsts the the deal in Greece for a UK cardholder with fees. Assume contactless is big?
You pay a fee of €1.50-2.50 (used to be more in some places but government recently made banks reduce fees).

Contactless is fine in the cities. In villages most businesses prefer cash. The law is if it's over €30 they have to take card, but in reality sometimes they will tell you the machine is "broken".

For many years following the banking crisis, you could only take a fixed amount per day (originally €50, then €60 when they started running out of €50 notes) eventually it changed to €420 a week. The restrictions led to people deciding not to deposit money into the banks and generally using cash more.

There are other reasons, too. The Greek government monitors Greek bank accounts, so there is no real privacy.

Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
international alliance which charge each other’s clients no ATM access fees. This of course varies, and can be complicated
Yes, the Global ATM Alliance partner for Barclays UK card holders in Spain is Deutsche Bank. Since the OP has a Barclays card, this would be a potential port of call. Or are there any Barclays UK card holders who were recently charged ATM fees at a DB ATM in Spain? Also, I guess that DB is not as ubiquitous in Spain as other banks are.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
As an aside I never even thought that Spanish banks would charge customers of other Spanish banks a fee for withdrawal.
That's the way that it is in the US. If I want to use my Wells Fargo debit card without a fee I need to do it at a Wells Fargo ATM. It's been the case for as long as I've had a debit card, which is many decades.

Thank you I did wonder re USA! Did find a (very) few free for UK customers recently but most at $3-4.

Thank you I did wonder re USA! Did find a few free for UK customers recently but most at $3-4.
Years ago I had a Bank of America account and was able to withdraw money at partner banks abroad such as DB, Santander, and Scotia Bank. But that ended around eight years ago. That's when I learned about Schwab.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Someone in the forum did this factsheet: August 2023. I used it on my Via de la Plata 2023.
But not all Banks accepted my Credit-Suisse Bank Card.

Years ago I had a Bank of America account and was able to withdraw money at partner banks abroad such as DB, Santander, and Scotia Bank. But that ended around eight years ago. That's when I learned about Schwab.
You have been fantastic on here advising folks about CS! You have saved alot of people money. I saw an advert about them earlier (think they re sponsoring a golf tournament somewhere), and thought of you! Can you get to work on Europe please!

Aware of global ATM alliance but never been a member. Got zero fees at DB but no longer!

So many variations as Peter says. My UK Santander account doesn’t seem to get me no fees in Spain. A Chase international UK issue card gets zero fees at Chase ATMs in USA!

Last edited:
It would indeed be helpful, but for me at least, life's just too short and it's all too confusing..

I'm very lucky.. I can drop everything, jump on a plane and go walking across Spain for a month at short notice. When I run out of cash, I can go to a hole in the wall, get another clump of notes and continue walking.

You pay a fee of €1.50-2.50 (used to be more in some places but government recently made banks reduce fees).

Contactless is fine in the cities. In villages most businesses prefer cash. The law is if it's over €30 they have to take card, but in reality sometimes they will tell you the machine is "broken".

For many years following the banking crisis, you could only take a fixed amount per day (originally €50, then €60 when they started running out of €50 notes) eventually it changed to €420 a week. The restrictions led to people deciding not to deposit money into the banks and generally using cash more.

There are other reasons, too. The Greek government monitors Greek bank accounts, so there is no real privacy.
Thanks Molly! I had forgotten about the banking crisis. Appreciate the info!

Hi Bedspring, sorry if my post offended. The problem with forums, in my opinion, is that people ask inappropriate questions and receive answers to all the questions they didn’t ask. In your circumstance the best place to address your question would be Chase, Clarity and Barclays. They know who their partner banks are and who they have reciprocal agreements with.

That information, posted on the forum, would then be useful to UK based users of any or all of those three banks.

Just my opinion of course. There is probably information useful to various forum members in this thread but it takes some serious excavation

Buen camino

5 Euros Bank Caja was the best price I found doing the VDLP. I didn’t find one bank that didn’t add a fee for transaction I would withdrawn 200 euros cash and used my Starling or Revolut account for card transactions. Bear in mind the Vdlp was very rural and a lot of places only dealt with cash

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for this perspective. Maintaining ATM machines, keeping them stocked with cash, dealing with crooks who put false readers on the machines, dealing with ATM software crooks, etc., this all equates to operational costs. Having said this, looking for reasonable ATM fees is fine.

The problem with forums, in my opinion, is that people ask inappropriate questions and receive answers to all the questions they didn’t ask. In your circumstance the best place to address your question would be Chase, Clarity and Barclays. They know who their partner banks are and who they have reciprocal agreements with.
One would think so ... but only if one has never tried to figure out just how much one pays in a foreign currency transaction, i.e. how much and what is added to the day's ECB exchange rate and what the various fee additions are called, and if it is percentages of the sum, or a flat rate, or a percentage with an upper limit for the total fee. ☺️

Since the OP listed the names of his bank cards I made of course an effort to find out more for at least one of these banks, in this case Barclays, before I made comments. For example here where Barclays UK explain about "withdrawing cash abroad". So first of all there is the exchange rate they use; then there is their non-sterling transaction fee; and finally there is their ATM fee of £1.50. They will not charge their ATM fee, they say, when you use their partner bank in the foreign country but they add - I guess to be on the safe side - that their partner bank may still charge an ATM withdrawal fee of their own ... However, this may not be the case for banks / countries belonging to the SEPA area but I can't find a reliable source.

Of course, one can argue, so what: €2 or €3, it is worth the convenience. €5 or €7 starts to be annoying ... at least for me. 😀

5 Euros Bank Caja was the best price I found doing the VDLP. I didn’t find one bank that didn’t add a fee for transaction I would withdrawn 200 euros cash and used my Starling or Revolut account for card transactions. Bear in mind the Vdlp was very rural and a lot of places only dealt with cash
Might be worth looking at ING! I don’t know if they have a presence in Spain (probably not outside the main cities). I’ve no idea what they charge but I used them in Istanbul the other day and they were zero fees. Turkeys tends to be at the very high end of ATM charges (even more than Spain) and I tried about 10 ATMs - they line them up side by side here in many cases like the dreaded ‘standalones’ but charge the same as ones attached to the bank premises. My logic is that if they don’t charge a UK cardholder in Turkey they may not charge them in Spain. All the usual caveats to that optimistic statement!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
One would think so ... but only if one has never tried to figure out just how much one pays in a foreign currency transaction, i.e. how much and what is added to the day's ECB exchange rate and what the various fee additions are called, and if it is percentages of the sum, or a flat rate, or a percentage with an upper limit for the total fee. ☺️

Since the OP listed the names of his bank cards I made of course an effort to find out more for at least one of these banks, in this case Barclays, before I made comments. For example here where Barclays UK explain about "withdrawing cash abroad". So first of all there is the exchange rate they use; then there is their non-sterling transaction fee; and finally there is their ATM fee of £1.50. They will not charge their ATM fee, they say, when you use their partner bank in the foreign country but they add - I guess to be on the safe side - that their partner bank may still charge an ATM withdrawal fee of their own ... However, this may not be the case for banks / countries belonging to the SEPA area but I can't find a reliable source.

Of course, one can argue, so what: €2 or €3, it is worth the convenience. €5 or €7 starts to be annoying ... at least for me. 😀
When using one of my cards, my Bank does not charge me.
However in Italy, Spain, Lao, Thailand, Morroco and Vietnam I have been charged, in the last 12 months, unless I have been wise in my choice of ATM.
But TBH all I am interested in is being able to easily spot free a ATM, so if my wallet is half empty and I am passing a free ATM, I could take the opportunity for a top up.

I have now downloaded on to my phone a ATM fee free finder app, which people who could use, obviously people who like chipping in to the €8.3milion salary of Hector Grisi, CEO of Santander (other banks are available) can carry on, and I am sure he will be suitably ungrateful.

You are right. But I can show you a sample from Palermo Italy from 2019. I ordered €250.- and by mistake used the “Accept Conversion” at the end I paid €313.- 🤬 to EURONET Worldwide

When using one of my cards, my Bank does not charge me.
However in Italy, Spain, Lao, Thailand, Morroco and Vietnam I have been charged, in the last 12 months, unless I have been wise in my choice of ATM.
But TBH all I am interested in is being able to easily spot free a ATM, so if my wallet is half empty and I am passing a free ATM, I could take the opportunity for a top up.

I have now downloaded on to my phone a ATM fee free finder app, which people who could use, obviously people who like chipping in to the €8.3milion salary of Hector Grisi, CEO of Santander (other banks are available) can carry on, and I am sure he will be suitably ungrateful.
You will do well to avoid ATM fees anywhere outside Europe. In many countries that have a high level of contactless you can mitigate this by having cards that don’t charge for contactless anywhere in world. . So for example in Australia a couple of years ago, I was there for 6 weeks and didn’t use cash once so avoided the ATM withdrawal fee.USA similarish!

But significant parts of Asia, esp, South and South East (as you have highlighted), Central America and South America are still cash economies, so you so need to get cash out quite a bit. Thankfully money goes along way on those regions! Many charge a percentage fee, rather than a flat fee, albeit with a minimum charge, so that is a consideration too.

Having the three cards you have, you are ahead of the curve and can’t really do anymore so rest easy!!

Last edited:
Prepare for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2

Last year May - June I used Clarity. Abanca did not charge fees on ATM withdrawals. There App was good and it was easy to top up funds to avoid paying interest on ATM withdrawals which start at the point of taking the money out. I was also told deutcher was also fee free. Santander had the most expensive fees.

Last year May - June I used Clarity. Abanca did not charge fees on ATM withdrawals. There App was good and it was easy to top up funds to avoid paying interest on ATM withdrawals which start at the point of taking the money out. I was also told deutcher was also fee free. Santander had the most expensive fees.
Yes, with Clarity, as soon as the cash withdrawal shows on your account, the best thing to do is pay it off.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Indeed. I guess for me, folks have more control over their own personal bank accounts, and if fees are important to them they can get the right cards in advance of travel as the OP has done in this case, and the USA folks do with Charles Schwab. Once you are away you have less ‘control’.

For £1000 of withdrawal one of my cards charges me 0 and one charges £30. Same numbers contactless. If I can save another £20 at the Spanish end that is £50 so I guess 2-3 nights in an albergue.
I have used a Schwab checking account (VISA debit card) for three Caminos (just returned a week ago to USA), and all transaction fees/user fees are covered by Schwabs. There are other cards which do the same thing. I use the Schwab account like a Camino savings account, saving up for the next one. I learned of the Schwab account from forums like this. I don’t care what the fees are at the ATM as they are covered by Schwab. I use this card only on the Camino for cash and charges. Works perfectly for me.

An aside: here in Italy on a ramble BNP, a partner bank with my home bank, elect to charge me €5 for any transaction (including a balance check, declined). None of the Italian banks I’ve used have charged any fees and, as I always decline the conversion, must presumably be offering a charitable service to itinerant Tinkers. If anyone is ever able to make any sense out of this I’ll be amazed. It’s no wonder that the Pilgrims of old sewed their coinage into their underwear…

Coming back to UK card holders and SEPA which consists of EU countries and the UK and a few more European countries:

This is a fact: Banks should charge you no more for a cross-border withdrawal in euros than they would of a national transaction of the same value in euros. This definitely applies to consumers living in the EU (in the whole EU and not just in the eurozone) and it means that some of them can be charged an ATM fee in Spain while others won't because it only depends on their own bank and on ATM withdrawal fees, if any, in their own country.

And this is a claim I saw on the Revolut Community online forum: In the SEPA area, only the card issuer is allowed to charge for ATM withdrawal abroad but not the bank or institution whose ATM is used for withdrawal. However, I can't find a more official source.

If this is true, then a UK card holder would have to only look at his or her own bank's ATM withdrawal fee structure for an ATM withdrawal in Spain.

Yes, I know it is trivial and it is not about big sums. But it would be useful to know. Schwab accounts won't work for us (whether we live in the EU or in the UK). It would also help to clarify some of the confusion in threads about this topic.

Last edited:
In the SEPA area, only the card issuer is allowed to charge for ATM withdrawal abroad but not the bank or institution whose ATM is used for withdrawal
I am surprised by this assertion (but not surprised that it is promoted by Revolut, which, if I remember, is not maintaining any ATM...).

Perhaps the sentence means that your card issuer can charge you, then resend the fee to the ATM bank ? Indeed the ATM bank cannot give you less notes you required keeping an amount as a fee.

"ATM usage fees are the fees that many banks and interbank networks charge for the use of their automated teller machines (ATMs). In some cases, these fees are assessed solely for non-members of the bank; in other cases, they apply to all users. There is usually a higher fee for use of White-label ATMs rather than bank owned ATMs.

Two types of consumer charges exist: the surcharge and the foreign fee. The surcharge fee may be imposed by the ATM owner (the bank or Independent ATM deployer) and will be charged to the consumer using the machine. The foreign fee or transaction fee is a fee charged by the card issuer (financial institution, stored value provider) to the consumer for conducting a transaction outside of their network of machines in the case of a financial institution."

As fare as I know, in the SEPA area, payments are not subject to fees, but the withdrawals can be.

Spain has become a nightmare re ATM fees for UK cardholders. Never pay a fee in France, Italy, or Germany, but most of the big players in Spain charge €6-7 per transaction. I used to use Deutsche Bank who didn’t charge a fee, but they are at €3-4 now. Sabadell was only a couple of Euro when I used them a few months back. Some of the smaller regional bank don’t charge a fee but I couldn’t name them.

That said you don’t need much and one transation should be enough. I recently spent 3 months in Spain and didn’t use cash once, but you do need some on a Camino as some places don’t take cash and some have minimum spend.
As a Canadian i avoided Santander as fees were 7 euros. I have not noted the name of banks i used. I tried several banks in the major cities

As a Canadian i avoided Santander as fees were 7 euros. I have not noted the name of banks i used. I tried several banks in the major cities
Santander was definately the highest (same charge UK card bolder) for a while but most of the other big players have now caught up.

I guess another point is that we can now pay for so much on contactless now, the ATM fee per euro is more expensive assuming you don’t pay fees for contactless. So back in say 2020 we may have taken out €1500 to do a camino, say with charges of €25-30, we probably only neeed €150 now at a change of €6-7. Some countries operate on a %age rather than a fixed fee (albeit with a minimum charge) but not Spain.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This Wikipedia article has a long list of European countries including the UK where the ATM fee systems within each country is explained. As obvious in this thread, numerous posters and presumably readers were not even aware of the fact that consumers can be charged ATM withdrawal fees in their own country.

Not all Wikipedia information is reliable, of course, and there is little in this article about if, how, when and on behalf of whom ATM withdrawal fees are due when the customer is in Spain as a foreign bank account holder.

We usually assume that the ATM fee goes to the ATM bank but that is not at all certain, from all I can tell, when the customer is not a national bank account holder.

Again, I am only referring to European consumers including UK consumers (the OP is a UK consumer), not to others - and only to ATM withdrawal fees and not to foreign currency transaction fees etc etc or whatever these obvious or hidden costs to the consumer are called in this context.

Last edited:
And this is a claim I saw on the Revolut Community online forum: In the SEPA area, only the card issuer is allowed to charge for ATM withdrawal abroad but not the bank or institution whose ATM is used for withdrawal. However, I can't find a more official source.
This seems entirely at odds with the reality on the ground. It is clearly the ATM provider that is making charges on my cash withdrawals here in Greece. It doesn't even show as a fee on my account. It simply shows an ATM withdrawal of e.g. €81.50.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Below is the list created and updated by @Ungawawa.

The note at the bottom says: Fees collected from European users' reports. Other countries may vary.
View attachment 171176
Thanks that looks pretty accurate as a summary with the exception of DB who now seem to charge from last summer.

The ATMFeesaver app seems reasonably accurate for Spain and includes a mapping feature so you know what is close to your location for anyone interested.

Last edited:
This seems entirely at odds with the reality on the ground. It is clearly the ATM provider that is making charges on my cash withdrawals here in Greece.
How is that at odds? The post you refer to is about SEPA and fees for ATM withdrawal abroad. Are you talking about such a situation or are you referring to a withdrawal within Greece, i.e. bank account is held in Greece and ATM is in Greece?

It is presumably best to abandon this discussion altogether and concentrate on the list that @Ungawawa created and see to which extent the ATM withdrawal fees in this list correspond to practical experience with cash withdrawal at ATMs in Spain in 2024.

My sentiments precisely, proceed to the route as my satnav keeps telling me! Advice is free criticism should be fined ;)

T
Caixa bank is also charging €7
Indeed. There were my ‘go to’ as recently as 2021 at €2 but seemed to shoot up almost overnight!

BBVA also €7.

So much variance by EU country (and bank I guess ). Fee was €1.80 in Greece this morning.

Last edited:

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi .. idly thinking and was wondering what sort of restrictions (personal lifestyle/ethics choices) you may drop when on Camino. Par ex: I rarely ever drink coffee - too much caffeine for me .. a...
Been binging on Rob's Camino YouTube page in prep for my own trek and he oftentimes says something along the lines of "For those who want to get their passport stamped..." which led me to wonder...
Please share your stories of Camino miracles that you experienced. I’ll be there this Fall and those stories get me motivated!❤️ Thank you Deenise
Just idle tboughts Wondering if in France and other surrounding countries that if there is an english barrier-s but not Spanish? Guessing the closer you get the better the outlook on that?
I belive to get the compostela one needs to have walked the last 100km and got two stamps per day. When was this rule introduced and was it controversial? Also, if someone has walked from St Jean...
Hello! My mom and I will be walking the Norte in September/October. I'd like to start a small blog to catalog our journey, and for our family back home to keep up with where we are/what we're...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.