• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Fresh bread tip from Portugal...

Friend from Barquinha

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)
This morning at about 8:30, I was out in our back garden (central Portugal) where I saw, down the hill, the first of the day's peregrinos come striding up from Golega. Just at the same time, I noticed one of our several bread vans come peeling around the corner just behind him and park, honking its horn. He marched on, but missed out on some very good bread!

These vans are quite common in the smaller towns--usually circulating between 8:30 and 9:30 or so. They're from the local bakers, and a lot of the locals queue up (line up) to pick up fresh rolls and other baking. The driver sells straight out of the van and stops at squares or crossroads. Often they'll hang a bag with 2 or 3 rolls on a nearby doorknob or two, for seniors or others who haven't yet emerged.

The rolls are excellent, and the vendors are happy to sell to non-locals. They make change from euro or 2-euro coiins or small bills. Rolls are about 30 euro-cents. Keep an eye out for these!

Bom caminho!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I remember reading sometime recently where some clueless pilgrim asked if the bread that was hanging from front doors along the Camino was left there as an offering to passing pilgrims. No, no, no! Let's hope that not too many pilgrims get that idea.

We know this one very well! Everytime we hear a horn honk, we RUN towards the sound and the van to get fresh bread. Absolutely delightful. And it happens in Spain too. I've also seen along the Caminos, vans that sell local cheese, olives and all sorts of baked goodies! We love it wehn we get lucky enough to encounter these ambitious folks!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum