• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preparing for a spiritual pilgrimage in Portugal: Tips for staying warm and dry on a budget

Gareth2024

In Need of Spiritual Reset
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues
January 14-31 Flights to Lisbon booked. Planning on taking train to Porto and starting on Jan.15. Then figuring out transportation back to Lisbon.

First-timer traveling from the US, know very little about the Camino specifically, mostly the lore, but this my best opportunity. I know it's not the ideal time of year, so I expect for there to be some issues. Any recommendations, fellow travelers, packing tips are welcome.

Will try to find clothing that is waterproof and enough layers if it gets cold. Will be packing light.
Main thing is that I'm on a budget, so I would like to stay at albergues.

I'm fluent in Spanish/Italian/French and grew up in Italy and France so pretty resourceful although new to hiking and Portugal.
Very excited and a little nervous but this is my time for a spiritual pilgrimage. Any recommendations, advice is much appreciated.

Muchas gracias,
Gareth

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Welcome to the forum!

You must be very excited since you soon will be on your way.

To help with your planning do check out this recent thread by fellow forum member Jungleboy. He discusses in detail the Camino Portugese from Lisbon to Porto and Santiago.

Portugal can be cold in winter. Be prepared with lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Here are a kit list and tips from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in late autumn/winter wearing layers.

Bom caminho!

Last edited:
Congratulations! I’m so excited for you! I was relatively inexperienced for my Porto to SdC this October and didn’t want to invest in a lot of expensive equipment. Are you equipped?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
January 14-31 Flights to Lisbon booked. Planning on taking train to Porto and starting on Jan.15.
Bom caminho!

Then figuring out transportation back to Lisbon.
There is a direct bus to Lisbon from Santiago, or a train via Vigo and Porto.

I'm fluent in Spanish/Italian/French and grew up in Italy and France so pretty resourceful although new to hiking and Portugal.
Some language tips for when you're in Portugal. Firstly, spoken Spanish and Portuguese are probably further apart than you would think. Portuguese people speak better English than Spanish (in general their English level is high, on par with Belgium and much higher than France/Spain/Italy), and they don't like to be spoken to in Spanish as if it were their language (Spain and its predecessors have basically invaded or thought about invading Portugal pretty much at least once a century for the last 1000 years, so it's understandable that the Portuguese don't love the Spanish or their language). So my recommendation is to try English first, and if that doesn't work, then ask if the person speaks Spanish or (for elderly people) French before launching into those languages.

You might already have everything you need. The main skill will be ensuring you don't overpack. Aim for maybe 5kg and see how that goes.

One way avid hikers spend a lot of money is they carry high-tech, lightweight everything. You could spend €1000 on a sleeping bag, for example.

Another way to keep the weight down is to not carry what you don't need.

You mentioned waterproof clothes and well, there are a thousand threads already here recommending everything from waterproof trousers to scuba diving gear including the snorkel. A raincoat or poncho is probably sufficient. Albergues have showers, washing machines and tumble driers that will make you feel better after a long, wet day. Avoid cotton as it's bulky, doesn't dry easily and creases.

Depending on your priorities, it can be nice to have some clothes that don't look like hiking gear (e.g. black polo rather than olive) to wear in the evening.

Try to bring a decent backpack, ideally a reputable brand. Same for hiking boots (low boots are best IMO). Just avoid bringing a pair of trainers that provide no protection against wet weather as your main walking shoes. Many people would recommend also bringing a second, light pair of footwear which you can wear in the evenings.

January 14-31 Flights to Lisbon booked. Planning on taking train to Porto and starting on Jan.15. Then figuring out transportation back to Lisbon.

First-timer traveling from the US, know very little about the Camino specifically, mostly the lore, but this my best opportunity. I know it's not the ideal time of year, so I expect for there to be some issues. Any recommendations, fellow travelers, packing tips are welcome.

Will try to find clothing that is waterproof and enough layers if it gets cold. Will be packing light.
Main thing is that I'm on a budget, so I would like to stay at albergues.

Very excited and a little nervous but this is my time for a spiritual pilgrimage. Any recommendations, advice is much appreciated.

Muchas gracias,
Gareth
I wish you you all the best. You could pm @jungleboy, with very specific questions, as he is a pro on all things Portugal, and is ultra responsive.
You have two main points - practical, and spiritual. The second one is your personal, interior journey. I will try to remember to keep a metaphorical candle lit for you. No real candles any more, I forget to blow them out! 👣

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Welcome to the forum!

You must be very excited since you soon will be on your way.

To help with your planning do check out this recent thread by fellow forum member Jungleboy. He discusses in detail the Camino Portugese from Lisbon to Porto and Santiago.

Portugal can be cold in winter. Be prepared with lightweight but warm layers which can easily be added or removed while walking. Here are a kit list and tips from the viewpoint of a woman who often walked in late autumn/winter wearing layers.

Bom caminho!

I would verify you have albergues OPEN during this time of year, along this Camino…1st and foremost

I highly recommend the Altus slicker (it's not really a poncho!), available here from Casa Ivar, or other places online. It's a little late for shipping, but you may be able to pick one up elsewhere. I wore one walking the Frances during the storms/flooding in Oct and Nov. For the 3 weeks I was walking, it rained every day but two! I was amazed how easy it was to get on and off while walking, and how flexible it was. Hope your camino goes well!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.
I’ll be finishing the Caminho Português next month. Last year I wore Hoka Challenger 6 ATR shoes. I did have some blisters and foot pain, but a lot could have been due to the 30+km days from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back