• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From Leon in August - insanity?

katja

Hi all
I'm a first timer and planning on starting my walk in Leon in mid-August. Is this a completely insane idea what with heat and crowds? I can only go in mid-August so can't change that but could start the camino at an earlier point on the Camino Frances if it makes more sense. Alternatively, I've been thinking of doing the Northern route but not sure if I'd feel comfortable doing it on my own. Any advice much appreciated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry, no serious response as I haven't done that stretch at that time but, here's a tip - one Christmas I bought a tree in town and had to walk home with it. The shopping crowds all got right out of the way and I had no problems at all, so I would suggest that, if it is really crowded, to carry a large Christmas tree - worked for me! (No decorations necessary, and no lights of course - unless you have a 150 km electric lead)

BR. David - I really like your comments...

But the "Christmas tree metapher" doesn't help poor katja.

Re "heat": We have been during the Ferragosto (this is early August) in Tuscany once. The heat was just unbelievable and I, who usually never fall ill, became very sick in deed: a veritable heat allergy with ugly red, itching, hurting pimples all over my body. Didn't even enjoy food and - more regrettable - wine neither. SO we got back in the airconditioned car and fled to the Alpes.

I have been in northern Spain in Summer on a motorbike several times. Well, katja - it's hot. It's VERY hot, matter of fact. I wouldn't even dream about to walk in this heat. That's why I will walk end of April to end of May (next year). And I'm already shit scared about the meseta...

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
katja, your plans are not insane at all.

Your Camino is yours alone to do where & as you wish.

Yes, it will be hot & crowded.

My question is, how many days are you shooting for?

Buen Camino :arrow:

xm

having doubts

Thanks for your comments. I'm beginning to think that perhaps I should reschedule for Easter next year when it's not so hot. As a teacher I'm limited to school holidays which is not ideal. I think I need to do a bit more research.

Other posters are correct in that it will be hot and crowded. However, for some folk, that is the only time possible. I would advise ensuring that you are well hydrated, and that you begin early each day, at first light, and stopping before noon. This may mean that you average fewer km/day, especially in the first few days.

I would suggest that you plan, as your first stop out of Leon, Villar de Mazarife (21.5km). A slightly better alternative would be to arrive in Leon, then proceed the 6km down the road to Virgen del Camino, then walk the 15km to Villar de Mazarife. A second 15km day takes you into Hospital de Orbigo.

A combination of an early start, a relaxed pace, and an early finish to the day would make August less difficult.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ditto to what u said, oursonpolaire, particularly to the part re: dehydration.

Drink drink drink as many liquids as you can, and am specifically refering to H20. I drink a lot of water as I walk during the summer.

After all, there are latrines ALL OVER the Camino :lol:

Buen Camino :arrow:

xm 8)

Thank you oursonpolaire and xm for very useful advice. I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can get a coach from Valladolid to Leon. Is that the case? I'm planning on flying Ryanair from London to Valladolid and then on to Leon to start the Camino. Is there a better way? Thanks.

...you can get a coach from Valladolid to Leon. Is that the case? ...flying Ryanair from London to Valladolid and then on to Leon to start the Camino. Is there a better way?

Katja, hi. I lack the info for suggestion(s). But, given ur research, seems that u've found the perfect connection. Buen Camino :arrow: xm 8)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
katja said:
I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can get a coach from Valladolid to Leon. Is that the case? I'm planning on flying Ryanair from London to Valladolid and then on to Leon to start the Camino. Thanks.

Yes you can get a coach from Valladolid Airport to Leon. The coaches leave the airport 30 minutes after they leave Valladolid itself.
Valladolid-Leon Euro
00:45 02:45 8,24€
02:45 04:45 8,24€
09:45 11:45 8,24€
11:45 13:45 8,24€
14:45 16:45 8,24€
16:45 18:45 8,24€
19:45 21:45 8,24€
21:45 23:45 8,24€

Buen Camino
William

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.