• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gernika to Bilbao

waytosantiago

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2004), Camino Del Norte (2013)
Hi Fellow Peregrinos,

This might be a silly question, but can Gernika to Bilbao be done comfortably in one day? Some sites such as gronze.com break this down to include a small 10km walk from Lezama to Bilbao. I wanted to complete Irun to Bilbao in 6 days, not 7.

Thanks

Chris

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not to equivocate, but a lot of it depends upon your conditioning and the state of your body at that moment. Those first few days on the Norte can take a toll--they're awesome, but they also have a lot of ups and downs. How are your knees? Have you walked 32-35km in one day before?

When I take students on the Norte this summer, we'll do what you're hoping for--Irun to Bilbao in six days. We'll also train pretty hard.

BTW, if you do this, I'd recommend against walking all the way to the pilgrim's albergue in Bilbao. It's out of the center all the way on the other side of town. There's a new hostel in the old town, the Ganbara Hostel (along with plenty of hostales), that will catch you as you first arrive, shortening the day to around 32km. That difference can really help you to enjoy Bilbao after the walk.

As was said by previous poster, it depends on the shape you're in. I had a long day walking, but made it in. I had a brief siesta after lunch in Lezama, and enjoyed a bench in the plaza. After that, I hoofed it into Bilbao, and stayed at a pension in the centre, not far from the Bellas Artes (which, as a gallery, I preferred to the Guggenheim, but YMMV).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks guys, Im preparing for 30km plus days and having a rest day in Bilbao will be sweet relief!

Chris
when I did it a couple of weeks ago at least four of us walked the whole way, but quite a few hopped on the bus around halfway.
A few of us stayed in Portugalete the next night so that Castro Urdiales was a manageable distance, as we knew the albergue in Pobena would be closed.
I pretty much had a rest day in Bilbao and then set out for Portugalete about 3pm. It took a bit more than a couple of hours to get there, following the right bank of the river. The Vizcaya bridge costs something like 35 cents to get across (and it's brilliant) and there's a board map of the town by the exit point. This was handy as it showed the street of the pension I was aiming for (which I'd found in the Cicerone guide). But if you're not wedded to walking every step of the way you can always catch the metro to Portugalete the morning after your full rest day.
cheers, tom

Most read last week in this forum

On the Norte...started Morgo headed to Santilanna del mer...today...wonderful walk.... 1st 7k and last 7k ...the middle industrail zone was meh. Just past polonca met loverly local spanish...
If anyone is in an albergues in or near Santillana del mar on the 1st of May and comes across Nadia from Ottawa would they kindly point her in the direction of this thread. Thanks all.....

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back