• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting from Germany to Santiago by . . . not walking

Kathy F.

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2013, CF from Lourdes 2015, CP Porto 2022
I'm volunteering in Santiago in June.
I'm going nuts trying to find an inexpensive way to get from where I am in the middle of Germany to SdC.
I don't want to fly, plus I'll be returning to Germany with my DH (Dear Hubby) the end of June so, $$$.
Always prefer trains, buses in Europe not so bad, would spring for a night train if one was available.
I've already walked the CF and CP a few times so don't get your panties in a bunch - I've earned this ride (planning my next Camino in 2024).
Anyone have any experience traveling this route recently?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How long is your volunteering period? If you can fit your travel both ways into a one month period then an Interrail pass might be worthwhile. One which gives a set number of travel days within one month. There are additional reservation costs but probably less overall than buying tickets individually.

Could you be a bit more specific about your problem? Where exactly is your starting point? Is there a specific start date when you must leave? What budget do you have financially? Does it matter how long it takes to arrive in SdC?

Unless you give more precise information, it won't be really possible to give you viable help.

I also live in Germany. The prices to travel to Spain have risen quite a bit in the last 3 years, but there are still some windows of time in which you can travel cheaply, if one searches and books early enough.

Last edited:
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Love me a google challenge. I put Frankfurt Santiago through google and came up with:

- Flixbus from Frankfurt to Santiago for 130 euros. With one change in Paris. Takes 36 hours though.

- train, faster but with more changes (no price though) but easily found at bahn.de. A combination of TGV's and AVE trains will get you there in 28 hours and 4 changes. Leaves at 8:56 from Frankfurt and you'll be in Santiago the next day at 13:08. This sounds more fun than the bus!

The cheapest way is flying!

Train, Bus is extremely time-consuming and way more expensive than to fly.
What exactly is your starting point? Can you get to Cologne?

How long is your volunteering period? If you can fit your travel both ways into a one month period then an Interrail pass might be worthwhile. One which gives a set number of travel days within one month. There are additional reservation costs but probably less overall than buying tickets individually.
Hi, Bradypus, thanks for the reply.
My volunteer time is 2 weeks.
BUT my Dear Hubby is meeting me in Madrid after my time in Santiago ends and we plan to go to Cadiz for a scouting trip (thinking of moving to Spain). I think DH might make it under 30 days of traveling but I might be over by a day or two.
Nevertheless, I will look into the Interrail Pass. Good advice! Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Could you be a bit more specific about your problem? Where exactly is your starting point? Is there a specific start date when you must leave? What budget do you have financially? Does it matter how long it takes to arrive in SdC?

Unless you give more precise information, it won't be really possible to give you viable help.

I also live in Germany. The prices to travel to Spain have risen quite a bit in the last 3 years, but there are still some windows of time in which you can travel cheaply, if one searches and books early enough.
Sure, great questions - I didn't want to go into too many details in the initial post.
I live near Grafenwohr, about 1 hour east of Nurnberg. I need to be in Santiago on 29 May. Return date is flexible (see my answer to Bradypus). My budget is cheap. Ideally, a combination of trains (preferred) and buses (doable) would be ok.
Thanks for asking those necessary questions. Any input you can offer is appreciated.

Love me a google challenge. I put Frankfurt Santiago through google and came up with:

- Flixbus from Frankfurt to Santiago for 130 euros. With one change in Paris. Takes 36 hours though.

- train, faster but with more changes (no price though) but easily found at bahn.de. A combination of TGV's and AVE trains will get you there in 28 hours and 4 changes. Leaves at 8:56 from Frankfurt and you'll be in Santiago the next day at 13:08. This sounds more fun than the bus!
My first experience on the long distance bus was from Santiago returning to Stuttgart, Germany. It was surprisingly comfortable and, of course, I slept most of the way. Although most of my fellow travelers were also pilgrims, their numbers dwindled as the ride wore on and stops were made. Regular people probably didn't pay attention to the smelly pilgrims. However, I'm sure many of them just shook their heads and kept their hats over their eyes at the one pilgrim who wore a tunic - only a tunic, and a pretty short one at that - with sandals, for his traveling attire. He would get off the bus at the short stops we made to stretch his legs. I wondered what his story was but, alas, I always went back to sleep.

If I can be on the train in Frankfurt at 0830, that might be an option although, ugh, 4 changes!!

The cheapest way is flying!

Train, Bus is extremely time-consuming and way more expensive than to fly.
What exactly is your starting point? Can you get to Cologne?
I thought flying would be cheaper but not from where I am (Nurnberg), The inexpensive flights, i.e. RyanAir, do not fly every day. I would have to add overnight stays and that, plus transportation to and from the airport, eats a chunk of change.
I could get to Cologne, although I think Munich or Frankfurt would be major airports closer to where I am.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I thought flying would be cheaper but not from where I am (Nurnberg), The inexpensive flights, i.e. RyanAir, do not fly every day. I would have to add overnight stays and that, plus transportation to and from the airport, eats a chunk of change.
I could get to Cologne, although I think Munich or Frankfurt would be major airports closer to where I am.
Think outside the box! Try Charleroi (Brüssel) as starting airport.
Cheap and constant connection to SdC.

S
Hi, Bradypus, thanks for the reply.
My volunteer time is 2 weeks.
BUT my Dear Hubby is meeting me in Madrid after my time in Santiago ends and we plan to go to Cadiz for a scouting trip (thinking of moving to Spain). I think DH might make it under 30 days of traveling but I might be over by a day or two.
Nevertheless, I will look into the Interrail Pass. Good advice! Thanks!
Small point but if you get an interail Pass there are no additional reservation costs in Germany, but there are in France and Spain for high speed services… approx. €10 per sector.

Think outside the box! Try Charleroi (Brüssel) as starting airport.
Cheap and constant connection to SdC.
Good point. I didn't realize Charleroi was a major hub for SdC. I flew into Charleroi when I finished my CP last October, guess I just forgot!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'll be looking into this today!
A quick search showed me a £25 direct flight on 10 June from Memmingen Santiago. Ryanair fly that route twice a week in June. That price won’t include luggage. You should be able to get to Memmingen airport for €20-25.

Memmingen tends to be best option for cheap flights from Bavaria.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back