• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting Nervous

Time of past OR future Camino
Want to walk 2wks in May 2016
I'm starting from Porto on 29th April and beginning to get a bit nervous.My rucksack is packed - exactly 6kg so spot on! Hopefully all my planning and preparation has been good enough. I managed to blag a scallop shell in Tesco from their fish display. Nerves and excitement keep swapping over. Hope I meet some fellow pilgrims.

Buen Camino fellow travellers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm starting from Porto on 29th April and beginning to get a bit nervous.My rucksack is packed - exactly 6kg so spot on! Hopefully all my planning and preparation has been good enough. I managed to blag a scallop shell in Tesco from their fish display. Nerves and excitement keep swapping over. Hope I meet some fellow pilgrims.

This forum has been so helpful. Thankyou everyone for your tips and advice.

Julie

Buen Camino! I am starting on 27th April - Our paths may cross x

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I really enjoyed walking from Porto to Santiago earlier this year. I hope you find the same. It was my first visit to Portugal - a country I would love to see more of. All the best!

This forum has been so helpful. Thankyou everyone for your tips and advice.

Julie

Hello Julie - Will arrive in Porto on April 28th and walking on the 29th. Walking with a Brit I met on the Camino Francis last year. Hope we cross paths along the way. Buen Camino!

Which camino are you doing ? Yesterday I saw over 50 pilgrims between Mougas and Baiona on the Coastal Route. This camino is going to get really popular...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Julie

6Kg !! Excellent weight. I walked from Porto last year and the reports of the Portuguese being friendly and helpful
were spot on. We had a great time.

There are drinking fountains everywhere so no need to carry great quantities of water. The food was excellent and
well priced. The accommodation was good. The route marking was actually better than the Frances route.

If you didn't feel slightly nervous it wouldn't be worth doing. In the words of an Irish Jesuit "Pay attention, Be astonished.
Tell about it"

Bom Caminho

Hi Julie

6Kg !! Excellent weight. I walked from Porto last year and the reports of the Portuguese being friendly and helpful
were spot on. We had a great time.

There are drinking fountains everywhere so no need to carry great quantities of water. The food was excellent and
well priced. The accommodation was good. The route marking was actually better than the Frances route.

If you didn't feel slightly nervous it wouldn't be worth doing. In the words of an Irish Jesuit "Pay attention, Be astonished.
Tell about it"

Bom Caminho
Julie i am walking from casa fernanda on the 4th and there is a fair chance you will be about this is 14k from ponte de lima buen camino

Hi Julie,
I walked the Frances a few years ago and I remember those nerves. Apparently they don't go away - am doing the Portugues in July - same butterflies!
Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello Julie - Will arrive in Porto on April 28th and walking on the 29th. Walking with a Brit I met on the Camino Francis last year. Hope we cross paths along the way. Buen Camino!

I think it's very likely our paths will cross. Looking forward to meeting you.

Buen Camino

Julie i am walking from casa fernanda on the 4th and there is a fair chance you will be about this is 14k from ponte de lima buen camino

Looks like there are a few people walking the coastal route the same time as I am. I was worried it was going to be too quiet! Hope to see you.

Which camino are you doing ? Yesterday I saw over 50 pilgrims between Mougas and Baiona on the Coastal Route. This camino is going to get really popular...
I arrived in Vila de Conde this afternoon and many places already booked. Don't think I can keep walking on all the uneven cobblestones! Brierley's "secondary roads" seem to translate as cobblestones! Will be disappointed if I have to change to central route:-(

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

HI Julie, I empathize with you! I was absolutely in a panic as the date for my Camino from Porto last September. I was afraid of not meeting pilgrims, afraid of long walks on my own. I don't know why I was so nervous as this was my 4th Camino.
I took a day to explore Porto before walking - that is the benefit of going solo - you can do your own thing. That relaxed me and I took the metro out of Porto next morning to avoid walking through suburbs. I met three people on my first afternoon and they were part of my journey. It was the happiest camino I've made. I met lovely people in great places. Like you I posted to the forum and got a great deal of encouragement. Bom Caminho. Anne

I walked from Porto to Santiago less than a month ago. You'll love it! Buen camino!

I arrived in Vila de Conde this afternoon and many places already booked. Don't think I can keep walking on all the uneven cobblestones! Brierley's "secondary roads" seem to translate as cobblestones! Will be disappointed if I have to change to central route:-(
It sounds like your walking the official coastal route. It's not all cobblestones the camino goes through forest paths as well as quiet, country lanes, tarmac,beaches etc. If you consult Luis's maps quoted in thread above you can see there is another camino which sticks closer to coast with few cobblestones. Both routes should be relatively quiet until Redondela. Bon Caminho

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I arrived in Porto yesterday - walked from Lisbon. Going to take a day off to see the city. I still am not decided which route to take - costal or interior. But the post here makes me nervous a litter because "many places already booked" in Vila do Conde. I did not expect that because so few pilgrims I have met so far from Lisbon.
I am staying in downtown area and see the arrow, but if I follow that , will it split into coastal and interior routes?
Also, there are several rainy days in forecast, and I wonder if interior route would be better in rain.

Hi Julie. I'm planning on walking the route in September. I'd love to hear more about your experiences once you completed the walk. Hope you've had/are having a great time. Cindy

Most read last week in this forum

Starting a journey for me starts with the planning. This year everything aligned so here I am about to leave Canada to begin my 2nd Camino - the Portuguese Coastal. With three weeks to get my...
Day 0? I’m here 😊and I start my slow coastal camino tomorrow! Feel blessed and recognize the privilege it is to be able to take this journey. Tomorrow a short walk to Matosinhos - just right...
Will be doing hopefully my first of many Camino journeys leaving out of Porto December 29. From what I can tell, highs in 50’s to 60’s F and possibly some but not a lot of moisture with no snow...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...
Another wonderful walking day! Definitely feeling it in my legs today- a few more stretch breaks needed! And lots of wonderful places to take them! Theme for the day boardwalks! Received a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back