• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Getting to know you all....

Maryimelda

Hi everyone, my name is Kate and I live in Brisbane Australia. I first visited Santiago de Compostela in September 2002, but that trip along the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port was done by car. I am now just starting to think about doing the real thing and walking the same route. Hopefully I will be looking at September 2009. Seems a long way off I know, but it's amazing how quickly the time passes when you are planning something like this. I have been back to Europe twice since that first trip but have not been back to Spain. I am an avid walker but when I do the trip I will be 60, however, I refuse to let that put me off. I am looking at my pilgrimage as a celebration of 60 years on the planet. I am also looking at it as a way of overcoming all my fears, because I figure that if I can successfully complete the Camino, then I can do ANYTHING! So bear with me please all you seasoned pilgrims, I'll be asking lots of questions and I only hope that my questions aren't too dumb.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello Kate from Brisbane,
I found a wonderful piece of verse (written by a senior woman) and would like to share it with all our 60+ peregrinas.
"All that I am I must endure
and bear the burden of my years.
Of good and evil, time and place,
before the story all is told.
All that is possible must be
before the concord can be full
of earth's great cry of joy and woe."

Hugs,

Hello Kate,
Welcome to the forum,I started my Camino 4 days after my 60th birthday.Roncesvalles to
Santiago,May/June 2006.
I bought a pair of hiking boots & backpack on sale at my local hardware storefor less than
$100.(cdn)....researched this great site for 3 months,then set off on one of the best experiences of my
life.
The Camino is a formidable challenge to a Pilgrim of any age but I belive it is easy to over-
plan and over-prepare for the journey.I know if I had 2 years of waiting,as you have,my head would be
spinning with "helpful info",that works for some,but not others!!
After a few days on the trail and getting into a routine the Camino seems to supply the
answers and the encouragement to push on and see what is waiting around the next bend.
I hope your waiting time passes quickly and your Camino time"lasts a life-time",
Best wishes,Les.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Maryimelda said:
I am also looking at it as a way of overcoming all my fears, because I figure that if I can successfully complete the Camino, then I can do ANYTHING! So bear with me please all you seasoned pilgrims, I'll be asking lots of questions and I only hope that my questions aren't too dumb.

Just ask away, because the only 'stupid' questions are those not asked!

If you are an avid walker, then even at 60 you shall likely discover that you are slower than some yet faster than others so, don't worry.

Buen Camino!

It is really good to meet so many "hopeful" pilgrims in this forum!! I feel like I have fellow walkers all over the world. My own Camino will start only on June 1st '08 but there is not one day that I don't come here and meet someone like me. In fact, chatting to people from everywhere shows everybody that John Lennon was write when he wrote "Imagine". No limits, no bounds no frontiers, no language issues. Everybody understands a "peregrino". Welcome my friend!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Kate,
I am a 58 yr old Scot now living in France.I walked the Camino from St.Jean this April/May in 24 days.I intentionally pushed on to prove to myself that I could do so following a serious illness(meningitis).
On the walk I met many people over 50.I walked for half a day with a German guy of 83 yrs of age.The oldest woman,again German, I met was 79yrs young.There were people with various disabilities and levels of fitness.On the Camino it is important that you set your own pace and achieve your own goals.
I was pleasantly surprised that there were as many women walking the Camino as men.What is more there were as many women walking alone as men.All the women I asked stated that they felt totally safe even if walking alone as there are always pilgrims due along soon.
I enjoyed the experience so much that I will be walking from Seville to Santiago starting on the 1st of April 2008.This time I will be keeping to a more leisurely pace.
Enjoy your Camino.
Harry

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.