• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Gluten Free Camino

scubajunky

Hi all,
I am walking the Camino on Saturday from Leon to Santiago. Can anyone tell me please what Spanish dishes / food is Gluten free ?
Are there any Tapas that are Gluten free ?
If people could post the dish name and it's translation that would be awesome.
Thanks in advance if you can take the time to help.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would very much worry if wine was gluten free! My son has this belief that blood type can determine the foods you eat.

I eat, I love Spanish foods, I love Spanish tapas, I love Spanish cheese, lamb, fish, eggs and peppers.

Are you really going to worry about this? My bets are you going to have to adapt or maybe...go to KFC.

I will be also walking the camino gluten free, but not until 2016. I believe there is a tortilla that is made in Spain which is made from egg and potato. I have also had "paella" which is also gluten free. (It is a rice dish that has vegetables and a type of meat cooked with it all in one pan) As with anything, ALWAYS check with the restaurant to be sure. The Spanish food I had was in Barcelona, so I don't know what is different along the camino. When I went to Europe a few summers ago I printed gluten free cards in each of the languages of the countries that I visited. I also laminated it - just in case it got wet etc. Here is the link: http://www.celiactravel.com/cards/spanish/
I hope that helps!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi all,
I am walking the Camino on Saturday from Leon to Santiago. Can anyone tell me please what Spanish dishes / food is Gluten free ?

spain is becoming more and more aware of gluten issues, the bar/restaurant may even have gluten free bread. as for tapas... the range is so wide and what happens in the kitchens so varied that i would always ask when ordering: 'ES SIN GLUTEN?' you may get an odd look at times but its worth the effort, even if you are ordering pigs' ears or blood sausage (aka morcilla). in any case, i am assuming that anything that is plain protein does not have gluten, that said, who knows what is mixed into the sausages etc.; liekwise, most deep-fried tapas are sunk into the same oil as everything else... not sure if that is an issue for gluten intolerance.

on that note, most reasonable sized supermarkets now offer a variety of gluten free products, which are clearly labelled as such, and i have even run into several panaderías (bakeries) on the camino that sold gluten free bread.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Don't count on Spanish awareness, their vegetable soup always has meat in it! Be prepared to do a lot, even most of your own cooking, the best solution. The Paella on the Camino is usually frozen and godawful, the omlette may have been made in the morning, sat covered on the shelf all day when you o in to enjoy it in the evening. Chorizos? Go for the more expensive ones, the rest may have a bread or bread crumb filler. Buen Camino

My niece who is gluten intolerant walked with us as far as Burgos last year, She had a terrible time trying to find gluten free food. But she did manage it and was never sick from accidentally eating gluten. She managed it to such a degree that she is going back next year to finish her Camino. So don't let it put you off walking the Camino, there are ways of getting around anything.

A friend of mine also walked gluten-free last year. I'm not sure what specific Spanish dishes she ate. I know she did carry a lot of her own snacks and would stock up when she could.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Here's the deal.
A lot of people who are "gluten intolerant" in the United States do fine with gluten in Spain.
That is because in the USA, we stupidly allow our grains to be sprayed with bromine as an anti-fungal and pesticide combo.
And what MOST (not all, but most) people are suffering from is the ripping up of their gut from the bromine, not from the gluten.

I cannot eat bread at all in the USA without adverse affects.
I eat all the bread I want on the Camino because Spain doesn't allow the spraying, apparently.

Anyway, I suggest you at least TRY a bit of bread on the Camino before you decide.
And if, in fact, you can't eat gluten, there are plenty of choices for food.
Meat, vegetables, fruit a plenty!
You'll eat like a king/queen.

As a mother of a coeliac sufferer in Europe, gluten-free is not a lifestyle or a choice. It is enforced on the person who's health will suffer (with unpleasant side effects) if they eat food with gluten in it. Whilst I could not comment on Stateside issues, in Europe it is a fact that my daughter is limited when eating out - and pasta, pizza, bread, beer, etc etc are all on the NO list.
I know in France & Italy (where we live) that gluten free food is gradually becoming more available, but I'm sorry that I don't know about Spain.
Suzanne :)

PS. I bet that KFC will have flour in their batter!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
While in Barcelona a few years back, I just showed them my celiac travel card and the restaurants were gracious enough to go out of their way to be sure I had something safe to eat. They usually gave me skewered meat and potatoes with a vegetable. They do not coat everything in flour like in the states, so it is a little easier to navigate for meals at the restaurants. For me, it isn't a choice either. The consequences are horrible and have a potential to be life threatening. Just be prepared for worst case scenerio - we may find that we have to prepare all our meals ourselves. I'm not too sure about Spain, but in Italy you can go to the pharmacy and find lots of gluten free food items.
Here is a link to more information on being GFree on the Camino : http://www.hikingthecamino.com/on-the-way/food-and-water/vegetarian-celiac-options, and http://www.glutenfreeglobe.com/Europe/Spain/ It doesn't seem like it is impossible to be Gfree on the Camino, it just takes more careful planning.

Buen Camino!

I walked the Camino last year from Pamplona and being gluten free was a challenge, but got easier as my comfort levels and experience with how manage my diet grew. My Celiac is so pronounced that even eating food that has touched bread can leave me in agony for a week or more. This is not a lifestyle choice, or something we can just choose to ignore.

As someone already mentioned, there is a growing awareness in Spain around Celiac disease and gluten issues in general. The best advice I can give you is always err on the side of caution and carry as much food with you during the day as possible. Learn the phrases 'Sin Gluten', 'Sin Pan', 'Soy alérgico'. My spanish is terrible, but I was able to get across what I meant.

Every evening my girlfriend and I would shop for the food we would carry with us to eat the next day. We were careful, but ate extremely well on the Camino.

Our typical daily diet included:
- fresh fruit, we carried 2 oranges, 2 bananas and usually either peaches or plums
- nuts
- yogurt
- a block of cheese. sometimes we would get the presliced cheese just for easy access while travelling
- ham, packages of ham (always look for the 'Sin Gluten' label). We alternated different kinds of ham to not burn out on any one
- cans of fish/seafood. tuna, mussels, pulpo
- rice cakes and jam
- chocolate

In the cafes we stopped at during each morning of walking we would look for the potato tortilla. Oh, and Magnum ice cream bars have a few varieties that are gluten free, and their poster ad in stores labels which ones are Sin Gluten. :)

Really though, shopping each night in a market and carrying the next days food with us was the best thing we did to keep me safe.

Remember that calories are precious commodities on the Camino and staying healthy is not really a choice. It took us a week or so to really get the rhythm down.

Even as well as we ate, there were welcome surprises along the way. One albergue/hostal outside of Palas de Rei had gluten free buns for hamburgers. I thought I was going to cry for joy. ;)

Anyway, please feel free to ping me for more details/specifics on what we ate, where we found things, etc. Finding Gluten Free food was probably my biggest fear before setting foot on the Way, but it all worked out. I'd be happy to share more of that knowledge with you, or anyone else.

I really appreciate this topic. I was diagnosed with Celiacs disease in December so I am still relatively new at practicing a gluten free diet. Like folks above, I have also read that the grains have less gluten in Europe, so I am hoping if I accidental eat some, it will not be huge problem.

Thanks everyone!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I really appreciate this topic. I was diagnosed with Celiacs disease in December so I am still relatively new at practicing a gluten free diet. .............Thanks everyone!
It does get easier, @nomadpeah. My daughter was diagnosed when she was only 21 (now 32) and after an initial struggle, it has become second nature -even when eating out. In line with Colin's posting above, if you stick to fresh non-processed food without sauces etc then you actually can eat well and maybe even more healthily! Beer is out (unless gluten-free and that's a bit like non-alcoholic beer!!! - Ugh), but happily wine is not! Fresh vegetables and meat, no pastry/ baking goods. Probably the most difficult is when one is in an environment where sandwiches of some sort are provided (airplane food can usually be rather tricky, although again most airlines now offer specialized dishes), and the famous boccadillo on the Camino is obviously not possible!.
Hope wish you a happy gluten-free Camino.
Suzanne :)

I believe there is a tortilla that is made in Spain which is made from egg and potato.

Yes, tortilla patata - they usually have it on a plate under a glass lid on the counter of the cafes. For some reason it's not as easy to find in Galicia, but before that it seemed to be available in most cafes. It became my staple breakfast (with a cup of coffee) on the Camino.

Hi all,
I have walked the Camino From Sarria I am celiac so cannot have anything with Gluten. It is possible you just have to be careful but then I do in uk too. I have an app that I show it's called Gluten Free cards or GF cards and it translates to different languages. I am walking again starting next Tuesday from Ferrol - good luck

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
... I believe there is a tortilla that is made in Spain which is made from egg and potato...
The tortillas in Spain are not at all like the tortillas in North America. The American tortillas are simple flatbreads made with flour or corn meal; Spanish tortillas are actually an egg and potato omelet, fixed quiche-like in a shallow round pan and served in wedges.

Hi Scuba. I am coeliac (aussie spelling) and about to walk my third long camino starting SJPDP (one also from Sarria). That so many people think being gf is a choice is frustrating. Violent diarrhoea and vomiting is not something one would choose.
I never, ever eat the bread on the camino. Those who are intolerant may be able to eat it, but not coeliacs.
Fortunately supermarkets along the way often have rice cakes and gf items and i found that I could navigate my way through the menu del dia in many places. The tortilla is often an option and eggs were a great standby. Worst was breakfast which was often bread/croissant based. I used my card with limited response so would be more likely just to say "sin gluten"
I am heading back in July and know that I'll be very careful but will stock up in major towns.
Good luck with your eating and Buen camino.

Last edited:
Here's the deal.
A lot of people who are "gluten intolerant" in the United States do fine with gluten in Spain.
That is because in the USA, we stupidly allow our grains to be sprayed with bromine as an anti-fungal and pesticide combo.
And what MOST (not all, but most) people are suffering from is the ripping up of their gut from the bromine, not from the gluten.

I cannot eat bread at all in the USA without adverse affects.
I eat all the bread I want on the Camino because Spain doesn't allow the spraying, apparently.

Anyway, I suggest you at least TRY a bit of bread on the Camino before you decide.
And if, in fact, you can't eat gluten, there are plenty of choices for food.
Meat, vegetables, fruit a plenty!
You'll eat like a king/queen.
If you you are a Celiac, this is not an option

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Like @Anniesantiago it is the chemical additives that make me ill (specifically E450/451 Disodium di- and tri- phosphate) used as preservative or raising agent. Different to coeliac but similar symptoms. I can eat the local bread and pastries in Spain but am very careful if shopping in a supermarket. Last year there was more provision of gluten free (rice cakes etc) - I still have to check for the additives but this will help others. Anyone with mild symptoms might want to try the Spanish bread/pastries as others too have said that they are OK in Spain.
Tarta Santiago is made with almond flour - so long as you don't get a pastry based type - so that is fine.

Unfortunately many people feel that going gluten free is a choice. It does seem to be a current fad. I am a blood tested, verified gluten allergy individual. My plan is to do what I can and deal with the rest. I may have uncomfortable days but then I'll forget about the pain in my feet. :). You can't stress about all of the unknowns....embrace the experience of discovery. My gluten allergy awareness came in 2013...then M.S. and Cancer in 2015. Enjoy life and each step because you never know what's around the corner. Relax your worries and experience the joy. Stress will just worsen symptoms.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I walked the Camino last year from Pamplona and being gluten free was a challenge, but got easier as my comfort levels and experience with how manage my diet grew. My Celiac is so pronounced that even eating food that has touched bread can leave me in agony for a week or more. This is not a lifestyle choice, or something we can just choose to ignore.

As someone already mentioned, there is a growing awareness in Spain around Celiac disease and gluten issues in general. The best advice I can give you is always err on the side of caution and carry as much food with you during the day as possible. Learn the phrases 'Sin Gluten', 'Sin Pan', 'Soy alérgico'. My spanish is terrible, but I was able to get across what I meant.

Every evening my girlfriend and I would shop for the food we would carry with us to eat the next day. We were careful, but ate extremely well on the Camino.

Our typical daily diet included:
- fresh fruit, we carried 2 oranges, 2 bananas and usually either peaches or plums
- nuts
- yogurt
- a block of cheese. sometimes we would get the presliced cheese just for easy access while travelling
- ham, packages of ham (always look for the 'Sin Gluten' label). We alternated different kinds of ham to not burn out on any one
- cans of fish/seafood. tuna, mussels, pulpo
- rice cakes and jam
- chocolate

In the cafes we stopped at during each morning of walking we would look for the potato tortilla. Oh, and Magnum ice cream bars have a few varieties that are gluten free, and their poster ad in stores labels which ones are Sin Gluten. :)

Really though, shopping each night in a market and carrying the next days food with us was the best thing we did to keep me safe.

Remember that calories are precious commodities on the Camino and staying healthy is not really a choice. It took us a week or so to really get the rhythm down.

Even as well as we ate, there were welcome surprises along the way. One albergue/hostal outside of Palas de Rei had gluten free buns for hamburgers. I thought I was going to cry for joy. ;)

Anyway, please feel free to ping me for more details/specifics on what we ate, where we found things, etc. Finding Gluten Free food was probably my biggest fear before setting foot on the Way, but it all worked out. I'd be happy to share more of that knowledge with you, or anyone else.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
ill be walking leon to Santiago in September and some of October. i'd appreciate some help with food choices as i am Celiac. Also if any of the hostels on this part of the trip do a gluten free meal it would be lovely to share in that part of the experience too. how do i send you my e-mail address.

It is not as easy in Spain, as in some other parts of Europe to be Gluten free, but not impossible. If your Spanish is not great, then an appropriate card is useful. This site provides them in many different languages. http://www.celiactravel.com/cards/. Some people will not recognise "Sin Gluten", but will recognise, "Celiaco". Supermarkets like "Frioth" have a small, but useful Gluten free section. Ambar beer is a bottled lager, but not too bad tasting and is Gluten free. I would suggest that if you don't drink wine, consider Cider, in Galicia Maeloc is very tasty and Gluten free. Meat and fish is generally grilled, so not a problem. With Tarta Santiago, is an almond tart but the cheaper ones have wheat in them. In Santiago the shops that sell them will know. My experience is that generally people are helpful and will try their best. Have fun.

John.

Attachments

• IMG_20160529_181044288.jpg
    IMG_20160529_181044288.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20170621_204211751.jpg
    IMG_20170621_204211751.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20170621_151509638.jpg
    IMG_20170621_151509638.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back