• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Good place to exchange money?

Schildawg

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Frances (2016)
I'm sitting here in the Chicago airport, finally on my way to the Camino! There is a place to exchange my dollars to euros here, but the exchange rate is .76 which seems pretty low.

Does anyone have recommendations on a place where I can do better than that?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have always found that just using my regular ATM card when overseas works fine. Those exchange booths always seem to offer bad rates....

Using an ATM to withdraw money in local currency is the way to go. If necessary exchange money at a real bank but never at a money exchange booth. Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I plan to use ATMs throughout but we brought $500 to get us started since we are arriving Sat night. And I heard warnings about using ATM on weekend.

Any chance of places taking US dollars?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I plan to use ATMs throughout but we brought $500 to get us started since we are arriving Sat night. And I heard warnings about using ATM on weekend.

The Euro is the currency so there will not be any places that accept US dollars.

Get 100 Euros at the exchange booth in Chicago ... so you have enough cash to get out of the airport should the ATMs not be functioning for whatever reason.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

No. Even banks don't want currency. Use your ATM card for the best rate. Notify your bank of your travel plans, or your transactions may be denied. I just had my always reliable Schwab card canceled mid trip because I used an ATM that had been compromised for other cards according to the Visa monitoring consortium. Have a backup plan!! I have another checking account until the new Schwab card arrives.

(Slightly different problem, but related) My father-in-law arrived in Merida with 200 euro bills! I was surprised that the banks would not change them to smaller ones. BBVA rescued him.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That's good to know. I also have a Schwab account that I use because of their policy of refunding ATM fees. I will also carry my other bank's debit card.

I usually use an ATM at the airport to get my first batch of cash, because I'll usually need it for the taxi driver!

My card worked once, then they locked it. They are sending a new card, and have given me $30 for ATM fees at other banks. Good service even if flawed.

Best perhaps to pop the dollars inside your passport or wallet to use on your return home. Then use an ATM to furnish yourself with Euros.
I do this on purpose every time I leave the country.
Regards
Gerard

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum