• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Place to stop in between Villar de Mazarife to Astorga?

SirRon

Time of past OR future Camino
May-July 2023
On my next Camino, I thought about splitting up this leg instead of trying to make it all the way to Astorga. Any suggestions on where to stay? Village/City doesn't matter :)

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hospital de Orbigo, Villares de Orbigo, and 2 more places if you want to walk the road route, which I do not recommend... Hospital is a town; Villares is a nice willage some 3 kms. after Hospital. Recommended. Short day to Astorga next morning.

Hospital de Orbigo, Villares de Orbigo, and 2 more places if you want to walk the road route, which I do not recommend... Hospital is a town; Villares is a nice willage some 3 kms. after Hospital. Recommended. Short day to Astorga next morning.
Thanks! So you recommend Villares more?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks! So you recommend Villares more?
It is a peaceful small village with 2 albergues, a cafe, and food atleast in one albergue. But Hospital is also nice. They are both not far from Astorga: Villar-Hospital: 14 kms. Villar-Villares: ca. 16 kms. Hospital-Astorga: ca. 16 kms. More or less.

It is a peaceful small village with 2 albergues, a cafe, and food atleast in one albergue. But Hospital is also nice. They are both not far from Astorga: Villar-Hospital: 14 kms. Villar-Villares: ca. 16 kms. Hospital-Astorga: ca. 16 kms. More or less.
Thanks!

Hi SirRon!
Not in a city but this place is in the top three of places i stayed out of 27 on my Camino!
I stayed at Casa Rural Molino Galochas just outside Villavante between Mazarife and Astorga it was a great place to stay eight pilgrims at the evening meal and the food was good. Location is great Mercedes the owner was wonderful. I arrived tired and she immediately asked if i was hungry and made me a salad and quiche and a drink!
It is cash only!
Hope you have a great walk
Buen Camino
Woody

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi SirRon!
Not in a city but this place is in the top three of places i stayed out of 27 on my Camino!
I stayed at Casa Rural Molino Galochas just outside Villavante between Mazarife and Astorga it was a great place to stay eight pilgrims at the evening meal and the food was good. Location is great Mercedes the owner was wonderful. I arrived tired and she immediately asked if i was hungry and made me a salad and quiche and a drink!
It is cash only!

Buen Camino
Woody
Thanks I edited my post because I didn't really mean it had to be a city. Village or other was fine. Thank you!

Hi SirRon!
It is cash only!

Buen Camino
Woody
Also I just looked at the place and it looks great!

I have stayed twice in Hospital and like it. The bridge is impressive and I think I saw and photographed the most stork nests I had ever seen in one place. Also recommend Albergue de los Hidalgos with its private cubicles, beautiful garden and sitting area and the very worthwhile buffet breakfast. There is also a DIA supermarket out on the main highway, maybe 15 minutes from the albergue area.IMG_0165.jpegIMG_0251.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpeg
    IMG_0184.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0196.jpeg
    IMG_0196.jpeg
    8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_0194.jpeg
    IMG_0194.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I always stopped at Restaurante Los Angeles for a very good meal when I arrived in Hospital de Orbigo. It's at the far end of the Bridge, first left. I hope it's still the same! Last time I was there was Fall 2021. It's a largish place with mostly locals, but the wait-staff are very nice and helpful with pilgrims...

Hospital de Orbido, Albergue de San Miguel (hopefully @arturo garcia is still running it ❤️) Restorante Los Angeles fir awesome dinner
You won't be sorry
Good luck and Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Another shout out for Casa Hidalgo. Have stayed there last year and this year. Wonderful host, garden, beds with curtains, and a fantastic breakfast.
If you get a chance, go into the church. It is lovely!
Have also eaten 4 times at Restaurant Los Angelas. Pretty good food.

I have stayed twice in Hospital and like it. The bridge is impressive and I think I saw and photographed the most stork nests I had ever seen in one place. Also recommend Albergue de los Hidalgos with its private cubicles, beautiful garden and sitting area and the very worthwhile buffet breakfast. There is also a DIA supermarket out on the main highway, maybe 15 minutes from the albergue area.View attachment 159269View attachment 159270
Hola Pilgrims,
I agree with you whole heartedly about Hospital de Orbigo and Albergue Casa de Los Hidalgo , I stayed there one night ( May23rd 2022) and one of the nicest owner I met on my walk.
Jaun was wonderful and very helpful.
I did not have any extra hole ( got skinny.. 😆) in my belt for the pants to keep it around my wais , needed extra holes and he did with his sharp knife to cut two more.. 😂 😆… that helps Rest of the way to Santiago.
Small things .. still memorable .
aaaahh. Small details and the memories on the Camino..
walked around that ancient beautiful bridge , but there is no water of any kind around it.
bridge on a dry land.. but Im sure there was need for it few moons ago.
My Fitbit was reading ( right or wrong ) 792 kms from SJPP , in Hospital de Orbigo. ( kept track of it.. )
oh well,..
wishing all the Pilgrims happy and safe walk.
Buen Camino and Peace to all. 🇨🇦

Hi SirRon!
It is cash only!
Buen Camino
Woody
I agree with Woody. Casa Rural Molino is a great place to stay.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...
From a friend on the ground in Pamplona https://www.noticiasdenavarra.com/fotos/general/sociedad/2024/04/23/nieve-primaveral-presente-navarra-8152386.html

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back