• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Green or brown in September?

DanaRuns

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (in 2013)
My virgin post here!

So, our first Camino will be a year from now, in September/October 2013. I'm curious about the landscape that time of year along the Camino Frances. We live in Southern California where we have a Mediterranean climate much like Spain's. Here, the hills and grasslands are very green in the spring, but very brown in September after a long, hot, dry summer. Is it the same along the Camino?

We are hoping for green, of course.

But somehow I suspect we will get brown.

What has been your experience in the fall? Would we do better in October?

Thank you. This is the first of what will probably be a gazillion dumb questions (though I will search for previous threads before asking).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Harvested fields and falling leaves; probably not a lot of green.

That's kind of what I thought. . Oh well, i am sure it will still be amazing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We are in Burgos on September 4; started in Pamplona on August 26, and took a bus through a couple of sections. There are fields of ferny green asparagus in a couple of places, truck gardens with pepper plants stuffed chock full of fruits, and huge tomatoes, pear, apple, fig and other fruit trees, forests that are still green. We've seen plenty of golden stubble in the fields, but the black raspberries are ripening along the paths (we eat a few daily). The vineyards in La Rioja are bright green, and the grapes hanging heavy on the vines.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I did the camino last year between 7 Sept and 7 Oct. Leaves were still green. And like "Tericarns" wrote: plenty of fruits and vegetables. The weed fields are still yellow. The first leaves started falling when I passed León.
For example you can see here how it is:
https://vimeo.com/user9824047/videos/so ... :thumbnail

I prefer walking in Fall. It's incredibly beautiful, but yes... different, having walked this Spring.
Either way, you'll have a wonderful time!
In Fall you'll run into Wine FESTIVALS!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
DanaRuns said:
We are hoping for green, of course.

Definitely a case of "be careful what you wish for". Remember that what makes those fields green is RAIN, which you would have to be walking through. Dry days are so much more comfortable walking.

Most read last week in this forum