• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Greetings from Cookeville Tennessee

Newson2

Time of past OR future Camino
"2013"
Well we have done it, everything booked. I am so excited to be doing the Camino with my 18yr old son Colm especially as it was his idea. We are going to Ireland first to visit my family and then plan to start the walk on May 30th. Any tips for a mother/son team would be much appreciated. Hope to meet up with some of you. Buen Camino, Adrienne

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Adrienne!

I'd just suggest being flexible and not expect to walk all the way together. You'll each make your own friends and shared friends too. Just take mobile phones and check in each evening if you're not together so you know where the other is. If one of you is getting too far ahead take a rest day or walk a short day to let the other catch up.

Buen Camino!

Hello, from Cottage Grove, TN! So when are you leaving? I, too, am booked and ready to go and my son is going with me the first week of trekking and I also have family in Ireland I will be visiting afterward and I once lived briefly in Cookeville, TN. Now is that coincidental or what! :) I am starting March 21 in Leon as trying to do more was not realistic for me. After my son leaves, I'll be trekking alone. It would be so cool if our dates mesh. Buen Camino. Linda

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Whoops. Obviously I didn't read your post carefully. So sorry out dates won't coincide as I hope to be finished by the end of May and headed to Ireland for some much needed respite I'm sure. Whatever, I do wish you and your son the absolute finest experience together. Be blessed. Linda

Hi, Newson2,

Oh, lucky you to be walking a camino with your son. I have never walked with my son, though at age 19 he walked the Camino by himself. Well, after the first day he wasn't really by himself and he found his camino family and had an amazing experience.

I agree with tyrrek that the best understanding to start off with is that each of you might "peel off" and find your own little camino bubble, but of course with the mother-son relationship being what it is, my bet is that the mother doesn't find her own own bubble unless the son has found his. If both of you have your own phones, you can keep in touch if it turns out that you want to walk with others some of the time. I think a lot will depend on what the "pilgrim traffic" is like when you are walking. If there are lots of young folk, your son will probably gravitate to them, if there aren't maybe you'll walk a lot of the way with him. In any event, I would think that the best idea is to go without any pre-conceived ideas, and a huge dose of flexibility, which is actually good advice for anyone starting the camino, but maybe even more important for people who are closely related who are starting the camino together.

Two years ago, I met a man who had started in Irun with his son, and by the time they got to Santiago, they were communicating daily by phone. They had a really emotional reunion in Santiago, I was there when the son walked into the square, so no matter how things go, and no matter how many kms you actually wind up walking together, it can be a wonderful experience for both of you.

Hope you will keep in touch and let us know how it goes. Buen camino, Laurie

I met the most wonderful mother / daughter team a day or two before O'cebreiro. The daughter told me her objective was to see her elderly mother have a safe and happy Camino. I met them again in Santiago and we celebrated our arrival at the tomb of the apostle.

Young people congregate and have unique positive energy on the Camino. You don't want to interfere in the opportunity for your son to experience it. At the same time, family members walking together come to know each other in new and wonderful way. I hope you are both blessed, regardless of separating, even if just for a couple hours, or staying together.

I think the cell phone advice is excellent. It can be helpful in finding each other, if you don't arrive in a village or city at the same time. The internet is available everywhere on the camino now. Email is another way to keep track of each other.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm so happy for you, and also to see someone from my area on the forum! Hope you will post and let us know how it all goes for you. Blessings to you.
Buen Camino!

What a wonderful experience! My advice will be to be patient and flexible! I also agree with another pilgrim on this thread -- you may keep different paces during the day's walk- this is fine. When I walked the Camino with friends we all kept different paces...and would meet up throughout the day. This allowed us to walk alone in a sense...but together.

This is awesome, I feel like I have just found a new family. Thank you to all of you for the sound advice. I am taking it all to heart and I promise I will stay in touch. Linda sorry our dates don't coincide, I do hope you have a safe and wonderful Camino. I am truly blessed.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 29 doing the Frances by myself starting in SJPdP next week. I didn’t realize this was a busiest time to do the Frances so I am really nervous about the bed race. I don’t mind socializing or...
Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back