• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Greetings to All

gabolga

I have just completed my first Camino Frances, starting at St Jean P du P on March 24th and reaching Santiago on May 6th and finishing at Fisterra on May 11th. I am a pretty slow hiker, but I think that that is the way to go if you have the luxury of the extra time.
If I had to give advice to any future pilgrims – from the lofty height of one single journey – I would suggest the following

1. Learn as much Spanish as you can before you go. I was able to get by with the basics, but realy missed being able to have a long conversation with the people- all of whom seem only too eager to talk to you.
2. You don’t need a sleeping pad.
3. You do need a sleeping bag - at least at this time of year.
4. Expect most of the churches in the small towns to be closed most of the time.
5. At this time of year it will be cold – bring warm gear, including a good pair of gloves – and expect snow.
6. It is going to rain a lot, expect rain and mud [with the consistency of glue] and select your footwear accordingly.
7. Spanish toilets are flushed by pressing – or lifting – a button on the top, or by pulling on a chain [or rope] from an overhead cistern. Don’t be surprised if there is no toilet pedestal to sit on.
8. Go slow – especially at the start. I was amazed at the number of people who had significant problems with blisters and tendonitis – bad enough to seriously interfere with, or end, their hike.
9. Live in the moment, focus on what is happening now, don’t worry too much about the future. Stop and smell the flowers. Don’t rush.
10. There is a great spiritual power in the pilgrimage if you are only willing to be open enough to feel it.
11. As someone on this forum said “Don’t forget to go!”

I would be interested in finding out what advice other members of this forum would give to a new pilgrim about to start out.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear Slow Walker,
Welcome home Pilgrim. Your life will not be the same.
Via en Dios.
Jerry

Gabolga, thanks for your first-hand advice, and for your reflections. They are helpful.

We are starting at Roncesvalles in late August, and have begun to increase our walking now to get in shape and to try to avoid the blisters and tendonitis. I am sure those ailments can happen at any time to anybody, but we hope that good preparation to "toughen up," and resisting the temptation to start too fast will improve our odds.

Kevin

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Kevin, I'll be about in Roncesvalles on 20th August. My advice to you would be to ensure you have a torch. It's much better walking for an hour in the dark/when the sun comes up, otherwise you'll start to cook! Doesn't mean you have to race though. :arrow:

Speaking of 'cooking', I just cant fathom why white skinned pilgrims love lounging under the sun at 4 PM in May, while I, the brown-skinned one, is hiding under a tree. Don't you guys get skin cancer at all? ;-)

Mark

Minkey, thanks for the advice on the torch.
I was thinking of picking up a headlamp.
Do you think one lamp is enough for the two of us, or should we each have one?
If we are to make an early start, is sunrise around 6 AM in late August?
Thanks!

Kevin

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi all,
I am a walker (belong to an athletics club) and it gets dark very early now in winter. We wear a headlamp around our waists. Not only does it light up the road but also makes us more visible to cyclists and motorists.
If the band won't stretch, just change it to an elastic that will.

Kevin, one way to avoid blisters is to tape your feet in areas you know you get blisters. Whenever I get a new pair of shoes, I always get blisters on the heels & around the ball of the foot. So, that is where I taped my feet everyday. Once I got my only blister (from wet shoes due to all the rain between Valcarlos & Roncesvalles), I started taping both feet in that area as well. Worked wonders for me & at the end, I was able to give away my moleskin & what was left of my tape to another pilgrim who really needed them.

dg

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for the advice.
Sil, we are starting at virtually the same time as you.
Since you are a veteran, Peggy and I wondered how many miles you walk now to prepare yourself for the Camino and, roughly, what your weekly schedule will be between now and August 23.
We have looked at the training schedule at this link for preparing to walk a marathon, but are wondering if it is appropriate.
http://www.marathonwalking.com/schedule_marathon.html

DG, your tape advice sounds good. Forgive my ignorance, but what type of tape do you use? I hear people mentioning duct tape, Compeed, athletic tape, moleskin, etc.
On the recommendation of a peregrina from Saskatchewan, we have picked up a tube of Gehwol foot cream to apply each day, which she swears by. It's a German-made product and we bought it on-line.

Peg is also interested in the "Freshette" urinary director mentioned by Sil. The concept is brilliant. Can anyone describe their experience with the Freshette? or the Whizaway?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin, I bought the biggest package of moleskin that I could find, but only used it on the one blister I got. Moleskin = gold on the Camino. :)

As for tape, I bought the regular bandage tape you can get at a drugstore or pharmacy, near the band aids. It holds up well, even when wet, so you don't have to replace it every day. Also on the plus side, it's lighter than duct tape.

dg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
You can look for "Fixomull" tape, which is magic for pre-walk taping and/or blister repair.
It's made in Germany, I believe, so should be available in Europe.
It's thin and has little holes in it, so it "breathes" and sticks like glue. Better than Compeed, IMHO, and more comfortable to wear.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.