• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Guitars on the Camino

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
Due to generosity of pilgrim-guitar builder Federico Sheppard, we now have Esperanza, a Paracho del Norte guitar, here at the Peaceable for pilgrims to use. (we don´t know how to play it ourselves!) It is gorgeous, built on classical Spanish lines with conch-shell details. It sounds really lovely, too -- its premier performance last night was a Bossa Nova concert played by a Thai pilgrim.

The guitar is here for pilgrims. So if you´re a pilgrim who plays guitar, you are welcome to come over and play.

In Holy Year 2010 Sheppard and his guitarrero friends are planning a series of guitar concerts in churches along the camino, so you might meet him then. Or stop in at his guitar-building workshop he´s setting up out here along the meseta... details on that come later.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Guess I'm stuck carrying my musical instrument...a Kazoo!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The nickname of our little Mac laptop is, ironically, "The Mighty Wurlitzer," so I think we are covered on that account. (When it comes to pipe organs I will hold out for a Buzard tracker. Although I can´t play an organ either. I can´t even sing so well. I settle for "joyful noise.")

I see at least three pilgrims per day in high season shlepping an instrument along, which should be a lesson to us all... Almost half the pilgrims who stop here say they´d love to play a guitar if there was one. And so Federico´s stepped into the gap. Spain has a long, long guitar tradition, and both players and luthiers will enjoy this particular instrument.

So put the word out there. Meantime, I shall look on YouTube for guitar instruction videos. Hopefully chords are easier to grasp than Spanish verbs, and I can learn to make a joyful noise on a guitar too.

FYI, there's a spare guitar at the private albergue Casa Nostra in Castrojeriz. The young woman who shared my room there used it to finish composing a song she "wrote" while walking that day. I told her later I heard her playing while I was taking a siesta & it was so relaxing & nice to listen to it.

But, if you do want to take a guitar to the Camino, stay off United. I hear they break guitars. (see YouTube, United Breaks Guitars)

Kelly

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum