Search 58,412 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Learn how to Get "Camino Ready " 2nd Edition. In English, Spanish, German and Korean
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Guitars on the Camino

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
Due to generosity of pilgrim-guitar builder Federico Sheppard, we now have Esperanza, a Paracho del Norte guitar, here at the Peaceable for pilgrims to use. (we don´t know how to play it ourselves!) It is gorgeous, built on classical Spanish lines with conch-shell details. It sounds really lovely, too -- its premier performance last night was a Bossa Nova concert played by a Thai pilgrim.

The guitar is here for pilgrims. So if you´re a pilgrim who plays guitar, you are welcome to come over and play.

In Holy Year 2010 Sheppard and his guitarrero friends are planning a series of guitar concerts in churches along the camino, so you might meet him then. Or stop in at his guitar-building workshop he´s setting up out here along the meseta... details on that come later.

2022 Camino Guides
The 2022 Camino guides will be coming out little by little, most of them by the end of 2021. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Create your own ad
€1,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

ksam

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
Portuguese '08, Frances '11, del Norte '14, Invierno '16, Ingles '17, Primitivo October 2018
Guess I'm stuck carrying my musical instrument...a Kazoo!! :)

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
The nickname of our little Mac laptop is, ironically, "The Mighty Wurlitzer," so I think we are covered on that account. (When it comes to pipe organs I will hold out for a Buzard tracker. Although I can´t play an organ either. I can´t even sing so well. I settle for "joyful noise.")

I see at least three pilgrims per day in high season shlepping an instrument along, which should be a lesson to us all... Almost half the pilgrims who stop here say they´d love to play a guitar if there was one. And so Federico´s stepped into the gap. Spain has a long, long guitar tradition, and both players and luthiers will enjoy this particular instrument.

So put the word out there. Meantime, I shall look on YouTube for guitar instruction videos. Hopefully chords are easier to grasp than Spanish verbs, and I can learn to make a joyful noise on a guitar too.

FYI, there's a spare guitar at the private albergue Casa Nostra in Castrojeriz. The young woman who shared my room there used it to finish composing a song she "wrote" while walking that day. I told her later I heard her playing while I was taking a siesta & it was so relaxing & nice to listen to it.

But, if you do want to take a guitar to the Camino, stay off United. I hear they break guitars. (see YouTube, United Breaks Guitars)

Kelly

Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.
Rent a house in Santiago (1 month minimum)
300m from the cathedral and around the corner from the fresh food market in Santiago. Perfect place to tele commute from (1GB symmetrical connection).

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads