• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Halloween in Galicia?

MryDave

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct 2014
We will be on the Camino closing in on Santiago on the CF over Halloween, All Saints Day, and All Souls Day. Does anyone know what the local customs are? Many thanks, and Buen Camino all.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
All Saints day is a holiday. That means everything is closed.

I was in Estella. The main square had a festival with fireworks for the children ... a community spirited party.

Unfortunately,, since the following day was a holiday, the streets were filled with loud drunken people most of the night until around 3 AM when someone started yelling for them to go home.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
November 1, All Saints' Day, is a holiday observed in both France (Toussaint) and Spain (DĂ­a de todos los Santos). Special masses are held. Many families travel during this time to pay homage to their dead relatives. Hence roads and transport may be extra busy. Most businesses and services, but not all, will be closed on this day; generally a few restaurants and bars stay open . Banks and postal services will be closed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well, I do not know about All Saints Days, but if it happens that you are in Galicia's countryside, and you see at midnight a person carrying a cross and a cauldron, leading a procesion of dead souls, beware! because it is the Santa Compaña. You must immediately draw a circle on the ground and stay in the middle. Otherwise, you can be damned for all time to carry cross and cauldron, forever. Just imagine your blisters...

Last edited:
Mrydave-leave your Spiderman mask at home, you won't be needing it. This time is known as El Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead or All Souls Day), "Halloween" in Spain is a thee-day celebration that kicks off on October 31st with Dia de las Brujas (Day of the Witches), continues with Dia de Todos los Santos (All Saints Day) on November 1st, and culminates with Dia de los Muertos on November 2nd. On All Saints Day, Dia de Todos los Santos, which is a public holiday, many families are known to gather at the grave of their deceased relatives with holly water, flowers, food and drink in order to rejoice and socialize. Should you be in Galicia, this will give you the opportunity to sample queimada – a strong alcoholic drink usually made from aguardiente (Orujo Gallego), unground coffee, sugar and lemon rind or orange peels. Aguardiente? Spanish firewater, something like marc aqua vitae or grappa but with a Spanish kick. Quiemada is often served with a bit of flaming aguardiente floating on top. Properly made, it is not for the weak at heart.

I have often wondered if the town buses are re-routed to all pass the cemetery? They were in S America, when we were there, to enable families to visit family graves easily. A bit disconcerting the first year when my bus went 'off route' on its way to the bus station.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have often wondered if the town buses are re-routed to all pass the cemetery? They were in S America, when we were there, to enable families to visit family graves easily. A bit disconcerting the first year when my bus went 'off route' on its way to the bus station.
Shalom Tia - true but the Camino almost always takes us right past the cemetary of just about every village and town both in France and in Spain. A lesson in humility perhaps.

I was kind of shocked last Halloween, when I was in Madrid for a conference. Jack-o-lanterns in all the shops, people in costumes all through the city, and trick or treating at night! This is a relatively recent development, but it just goes to show you the power of US marketing. I would be surprised if it has spread to Galicia, though. Laurie

If truth were told:
It matters not the time of year I walk the Way...I have been mentioned, by young and old alike, that at times I look like Michelin Man, the Scarecrow, the Mad Scientist, a Vagabond, a Merc, Nutty Professor, Priest and...a pilgrim.
Happily, I've received more treats than tricks.
Buen "Boo, Boo, Boohoo...I've lost my Way" Camino,
Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was kind of shocked last Halloween, when I was in Madrid for a conference. Jack-o-lanterns in all the shops, people in costumes all through the city, and trick or treating at night! This is a relatively recent development, but it just goes to show you the power of US marketing. I would be surprised if it has spread to Galicia, though. Laurie

Actually, there are some scholars in Galicia who swear that Halloween is just a too commercialized copy of the old celtic festivity of Samhain. It is called nowadays Magosto. So, what goes away, comes back around. Not sure if this is really true, but it is an entertaining idea.

Last edited:
Shalom Tia - true but the Camino almost always takes us right past the cemetary of just about every village and town both in France and in Spain. A lesson in humility perhaps.
So true. I should have made it clear that the buses only did this on the one day of the year. :)

On the
We will be on the Camino closing in on Santiago on the CF over Halloween, All Saints Day, and All Souls Day. Does anyone know what the local customs are? Many thanks, and Buen Camino all.
On the 1st november (all saints day), you go to mass and then to the cemetery. If you have a relative there, you clean the grave and gossip with your neighbours. Sorry, no parties, no halloween on the 31st unless you are 18 and going clubbing.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Our kids' school here in Santiago does a pumpkin-carving contest at Halloween, but so far trick-or-treating hasn't taken off (bummer! I wish I could get gobs of cheap after-Halloween candy on sale!). I think as long as the majority of people live in apartments, trick-or-treating will be difficult here. How did they do it in Madrid, though, Laurie? House to house, apartment to apartment?

They do also have costumes for sale now at Halloween, not just at Carnaval time. People revel on October 31 (and the week leading up to Oct 31) and then things are quiet and closed on November 1. Oh! And during this time, chestnuts (castañas) are in season and vendors roast them in the streets to sell! Delicious.
Faith

For me, I definitely don't like this development! Anne

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Samhain, marks the end of harvest and the beginning of the dark months. Cattle are homed, surplus beasts slaughtered and cured /preserved. The dead are welcomed and also propitiated. This is a time to hunker down and be prepared for the cold and the dark. Earth and fire should be offered to the gods in gratitude and in service.

Or you could try just bunging them some candy...

Our kids' school here in Santiago does a pumpkin-carving contest at Halloween, but so far trick-or-treating hasn't taken off (bummer! I wish I could get gobs of cheap after-Halloween candy on sale!). I think as long as the majority of people live in apartments, trick-or-treating will be difficult here. How did they do it in Madrid, though, Laurie? House to house, apartment to apartment?

They do also have costumes for sale now at Halloween, not just at Carnaval time. People revel on October 31 (and the week leading up to Oct 31) and then things are quiet and closed on November 1. Oh! And during this time, chestnuts (castañas) are in season and vendors roast them in the streets to sell! Delicious.
Faith

Hi,Faith,
Based on what I saw, the kids were going into public places (stores, cafes, etc), but I don't know if they also go house to house or apt to apt. My daughter and her family lived for years in an apt. in the Atlanta area, and you can bet they found a way to trick or treat. So I don't think that the fact that the majority lives in apts will stand in the way of the spread of trick or treat if it really catches on in Spain. This is really no different than the gradual increase in importance for Dec. 25th, maybe not yet at the expense of Jan. 6 and the Día de los Reyes, but in 1972, when I first lived in Spain, you would be very hard pressed to find a Christmas tree. Now they are everywhere. Sorry, I know that´s off topic, but I think we can expect to see continued growth in the Halloween celebrations. Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back