• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Happy Christmas

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2006, CP 2013, Salvador2017,
Inglés 2019
Please, moderators, move to appropriate place or delete.
This is the week before Christmas. When all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The Camino has Christian roots.
In that spirit, I offer this innocent piece from the online version of the paper I read.
I wish each and every pilgrim member of the forum a moment of silent breathing that makes you say - yes! To whatever your yes relates!

An Irishwoman’s Diary​

Isn’t it sad to see the old Christmas customs going out of fashion? I remember a time when all the cows knelt down at midnight on Christmas Eve to honour the birth of baby Jesus. Well, at least that’s what we were told, as children. And because we were always at midnight Mass, we were never able to engage in a spot of festive fact-checking.
I did venture out to the cow house around 11pm one frosty Christmas Eve to see if the cows were limbering up to assume the kneeling position. To my great disappointment, they were just standing there, observing me balefully while chewing the cud and swishing their tails. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and imagined they were waiting for us to leave for Mass before falling to their knees.
Nowadays you never hear about animals kneeling for Mary’s boy child, so we are forced to conclude that even the cattle of Ireland are now a shower of heathens.
I had presumed the kneeling animals was a story concocted by my father, a man who was excellent at embellishing stories and occasionally inventing them if necessary. But then I discovered Thomas Hardy’s writings and found him referring to the kneeling cattle in Tess of the d’Urbervilles, and in his poem, The Oxen. Like us, the protagonist in his poem was told about the kneeling cattle from an elder and it never occurred to him to doubt it. Thomas Hardy later wrote to a friend explaining that he had learned of the custom from his mother when he was a child.
Embellishment
But like all good customs, it has been embellished over time and it now seems that our cows are very halfhearted indeed when it comes to dramatic gestures on Christmas Eve.
According to folklore records, some animals faced to the east before kneeling while others acquired the power of speech at midnight.
Accounts of the kneeling cattle can be found in the ever-reliable School’s Collection, a fascinating assembly of handwritten folklore gathered by thousands of Irish schoolchildren from their elders in the late 1930s, and available to peruse on duchas.ie.
One account from Kilmeedy, Co Limerick in 1939 stated that animals bowed down their heads to honour our Lord at midnight. It also added, with great authority, that water changed into wine at the same time. Perhaps that helps to explain the smell of alcohol that wafted up the aisle from the men who arrived late for midnight Mass and stood at the back of the church, arms folded across their chests? The poor innocent men were only trying to slake their thirst with water when they were duped into drinking alcohol.
Another young folklore collector in Limerick recorded a local tale of two curious men who wanted to investigate if the water actually changed into wine at midnight. When they put their fingers into the water to taste it, “their fingers fell off”. I don’t recall seeing swathes of fingerless men in the northwest of Ireland so perhaps that miracle might have been confined to the Limerick region.
But while the kneeling animals might have fallen out of favour, we can always find room to adopt some new Christmas customs. If you are an enthusiastic mince pie aficionado, you might already be embracing the custom of eating a mince pie every day for the 12 days of Christmas to guarantee happiness over the following 12 months.
A website (traditionalcustomsandceremonies.wordpress.com) which investigates old customs to see if they have survived or died, happily found that the mince pie custom is still very much alive. It found a reference to the custom as far back as 1853.
Variations
But it also found many variations on the custom. One maintained that the 12 mince pies must be eaten in different houses. Another declared that the year of happiness would be assured only if you did not speak while eating the 12 mince pies. But if you follow the rule that the pies had to be eaten in different houses, then this could be problematic. What sort of person calls to their neighbours and proceeds to eat their mince pies in stony silence?
While confirming the survival of the mince pie custom, the website sounded the death knell for the kneeling cattle, as I feared. But I’m with Thomas Hardy’s protagonist in The Oxen, when he said that if someone asked him to go and look at the kneeling animals, he would still go “hoping it might be so”.
And if it wasn’t so, he could console himself with a mince pie, thus ensuring the survival of another Christmas custom.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks, @Kirkie, and Merry Christmas to you, too.
So, after reading your post I've decided that henceforth I will solemnly follow the mince pie tradition. Clearly, the following approach should be taken just to ensure that I've covered as many bases as possible:
I will eat a mince pie every day for the 12 days before Christmas, each pie to be eaten in a different house, and said pie to be eaten without speaking during consumption.
No cows ( kneeling or otherwise) will be affected in this process as I eat fruit mince ( mince and cheese pies are for lunch throughout the year, not Christmas).

I was momentarily stumped with which 12 houses I should visit because I currently live in Germany and mince pies are not a tradition here. But I have a solution!
I shall make 12 jars of fruit mince and gift them for Christmas, with the strict instructions that they must be aged for a year. I shall also give them my recipe for mince pies and advise that, as part of the gift I will conduct a taste test next year to ensure they've got things right before they serve to their guests.
My neighbours around here already think I'm odd anyway...... .

Love this story @Kirkie Thank you for sharing. Like many Australians, I have Irish heritage - my maternal ancestors are from Tralee in County Kerry - and Irish accents are not uncommon in my home country.

Ireland has given us so many wonderful story tellers - both in word and song. I love the generous dabs of humour and irreverence, and respect for history told with a fine balance of pride and self deprecation. And you've given us another example.

And what's not to love about a 'tradition' that compels one to eat more mince pies. 🍀❤️🎄❤️🙏

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Those darned cows!
When I was a girl I'd go to the top of the haystack and SING... loudly!
All the cows would come in from the fields and watch me and I was certain it was my lovely voice.
Then somebody told me they simply thought I was going to feed them.
Sad day...the truth sometimes hurts.

At any rate, Kirkie, this post made me laugh.
Thanks!

Those darned cows!
All the cows would come in from the fields and watch me and I was certain it was my lovely voice.

Thanks!
@Anniesantiago, your personal story is lovely, as well, and quite funny! Cows are interesting creatures. I always wonder what they are thinking when I walk by on the Camino as many love to stare at me. I always thought maybe they are just bored, but now you have me wondering if they are hoping for a handout of better grass on my side of the fence.

Please, moderators, move to appropriate place or delete.
This is the week before Christmas. When all through the house, not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The Camino has Christian roots.
In that spirit, I offer this innocent piece from the online version of the paper I read.
I wish each and every pilgrim member of the forum a moment of silent breathing that makes you say - yes! To whatever your yes relates!

An Irishwoman’s Diary​

@Kirkie, I love your story and have learned something new today; another thing that points to the babe in the manger.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Those darned cows!

Thanks!
I learn something new nearly every day on this forum.
I've heard of horse handlers, bull riders, lion tamers, and animal whisperers - even animal therapist's.
First time I've heard of a cow singer though....

Thanks, @Kirkie, and Merry Christmas to you, too.
So, after reading your post I've decided that henceforth I will solemnly follow the mince pie tradition. Clearly, the following approach should be taken just to ensure that I've covered as many bases as possible:
I will eat a mince pie every day for the 12 days before Christmas, each pie to be eaten in a different house, and said pie to be eaten without speaking during consumption.
No cows ( kneeling or otherwise) will be affected in this process as I eat fruit mince ( mince and cheese pies are for lunch throughout the year, not Christmas).

I was momentarily stumped with which 12 houses I should visit because I currently live in Germany and mince pies are not a tradition here. But I have a solution!
I shall make 12 jars of fruit mince and gift them for Christmas, with the strict instructions that they must be aged for a year. I shall also give them my recipe for mince pies and advise that, as part of the gift I will conduct a taste test next year to ensure they've got things right before they serve to their guests.
My neighbours around here already think I'm odd anyway...... .
Just to note the 12 days of Christmas run from 25th December to 6th January (epiphany), just to make sure the tradition works!

I've definitely heard the cows bowing at Christmas story - though not the water into wine one. But there are so many regional variations in Ireland!

One was on Christmas Eve to light a candle on in the window and leaving the front door unlocked- to welcome weary travellers in need of shelter like Mary and Joseph arriving in Bethlehem. I still remember this happening as a child - I know no-one who does it these days.

Also another Irish tradition - was "Women's Christmas " or "Little Christmas" on the 6th January- the last day of Christmas/Epiphany. When in days gone by, women took the "day off" and had some festivities of their own with the 'last' of the Christmas fare. It had kind of disappeared but it's made a bit of a comeback more recently!

And Happy Christmas!

Just to note the 12 days of Christmas run from 25th December to 6th January (epiphany), just to make sure the tradition works!

I've definitely heard the cows bowing at Christmas story - though not the water into wine one. But there are so many regional variations in Ireland!

One was on Christmas Eve to light a candle on in the window and leaving the front door unlocked- to welcome weary travellers in need of shelter like Mary and Joseph arriving in Bethlehem. I still remember this happening as a child - I know no-one who does it these days.

Also another Irish tradition - was "Women's Christmas " or "Little Christmas" on the 6th January- the last day of Christmas/Epiphany. When in days gone by, women took the "day off" and had some festivities of their own with the 'last' of the Christmas fare. It had kind of disappeared but it's made a bit of a comeback more recently!

And Happy Christmas!
Indeed, the twelve days of Christmas cradle the days till January 6th. Little Christmas. Feliz Navidad. Happy Christmas. Even, Merry Christmas, although it sticks in my craw to say it! People, rest, breathe, be alive. Walk, hike, tramp and all the rest of the wonderful wandering words that tell a story of looking for the star!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Kirkie, thanks for this thread for the opportunity to wish you and all Pilgrims on this wonderful Camino Forum (thank you, Ivar) the best to all the best and that the God Child grant your wishes during this Christmas.

A27F4BAC-49D9-4229-950B-9230D3F73B80.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Kirkie, thanks for this thread for the opportunity to wish you and all Pilgrims on this wonderful Camino Forum (thank you, Ivar) the best to all the best and that the God Child grant your wishes during this Christmas.

View attachment 161182
Thank you, Ivan. Your photo choice is wonderful. It speaks volumes to me and it warms my heart.😊

And Happy Christmas!
For a second, without my specs, I thought you had heard the cows lowing! 😇

Nollaig shona duit...​

1703144555132.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, can I get second hand poles from Casa Ivar? Happy to make donation. Walking from Santiago to Muxia, then the Primitivo. Will return them when done.....thanks
New user here. Hello to you all. New to the forum but not to the Camino. I was told about this Forum whilst I walking the lovely scenic 'Camino Norte'. I'm planning walking another in June.
Hi, A couple years ago I flew into Geneva and took a train to Laussane to begin my Francigena. Next year I would like to fly into Geneva and walk the south side - France into Aigle, Switzerland...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.