• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Has anyone attempted this Camino walk (2744 km)?

crad80

Time of past OR future Camino
Completed Camino Frances (2010 & 2013); Camino Portugues (2011)
Hi Everyone,

I found this picture on the Internet this morning while waiting for the train to arrive. Does anyone know where this picture is from? If I had a couple (or several) months free, I wouldn't mind trying this Camino walk. But I was wondering if it's even possible? Has anyone attempted this walk (2744 km is pretty far)? My guess is that the starting point is somewhere in Germany? Any advice, insight or assistance is greatly appreciated.

Que tengas un buen dia!

(Muy) Buen Camino,

Crad

Attachments

• 578085_10200280373109690_2000116428_n.jpg
    578085_10200280373109690_2000116428_n.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 981
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are towns in Germany and Holland that go by the name of Markt. Last year I walked with an Argentine lady in her 70's who had walked from Germany over 3 successive summer. We parted company in Santiago and I am sure she logged over 2000k. I never thought to ask her. I also spent time with a Dutch couple who were on their 3rd Camino, they had walked from Holland their first time. It's not unusual to see cyclist from Holland who are doing the trek from their own front door to Santiago.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know a couple who started their Camino from Holland a few weeks ago. They took 4 months off and are walking all the way from home to Santiago. Google Maps says it's about 1.950 km.

Plaza = in Holland, Germany and Belgium it just means Plaza Mayor or central marktplace.

Talked to a man in my neighbour village yesterday who is going to start walking from his frontdoor. Will take him more or les 2.200 kilometres through Belgium, France and Spain. He is a retired teacher and now has lots of time. Lots of belgian ( and other nationalities ) pilgrims walk these distances.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
This picture is in a German-speaking area. There are many pilgrimage routes (Jakobsweg) in the German-speaking areas. Last year I walked from Prague to Nuremberg (4 weeks), and this year will walk from Nuremberg to Einsiedeln in Switzerland (4 weeks). It would be another 3 weeks to Geneva and then 3 more weeks to Le Puy.

But there is a second route out of Prague, heading for Regensberg and then thru Munich and across the southern end of Lake Constance along the Apenzeller variant to Einsiedeln. There is a second route out of Nuremberg also, heading west through Rothenberg, then for Trier and the Mosel valley and connects with the Vezelay route. There are routes out of Berlin. There is a route out of Bratislava through Vienna, across Austria through Salzberg and Innsbruck, connecting with a route in Germany. You get the idea.

It certainly helps to speak a bit of German, especially in the small towns. There are guidebooks for every route (http://www.conrad-stein-verlag.de/p/verlag/programm_jakob.html?t=1366897193335) in German. The ways are well-marked and well-maintained, and not crowded. In fact, unless you are walking in July and August, you will likely find plenty of solitude. Prices are slightly more expensive than in France, but always include a huge breakfast with meat and cheese, from which you can make lunch as well.

There are resources and travel descriptions in my blog. See the link in my signature block.

The photo was taken at Brauweiler, near Cologne Germany on the jabobsweg

Probably from the book
http://www.amazon.de/Pilgerwegen-Brauweiler-Köln-Santiago-Compostela/dp/3928100823

The author describes highly exciting, how he mastered the 2744 miles from Brauweiler near Cologne with his wife until after Santiago de Compostela with the bike. The one or other obstacle clean both with the necessary sporting ambition out of the way and hold out until the finish iron. After a few pages, you have the feeling as if you would be even with the pedals, at any time, the tour stays exciting. A must for any Jakobswegpilgerer or Radtourbegeisterten

We have gone from Prague to Santiago on our mountain bikes, 3200 km. Great trip if you have the time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
jirit said:
The photo was taken at Brauweiler, near Cologne Germany on the jabobsweg

Speaking of coincidence, a few days ago I actually was in Cologne (or Köln as it's called there (or Keulen as it's called in the Netherlands)), enjoying Woodkid's concert. :D

Hola

One one of my Caminos I meet a man from Belgium who had started in Bruxelles, and two from Germany who had started outside Paris, so yes, it is possible.
Their experiences in France was that it was possible to find reasonable hostals and lodgings as well as Gites, although it was not easy to plan ahead and many places were closed as it was in the winter.
Also their walk in France was mostly done in solitude and they were glad for the company they found after Saint Jean Pied de Port.
Personally I have walked 2000 km in 10 weeks with a week rest in the middle.
I didn't plan to do it, but that is how my camino unfolded and it felt right for me to continue.
Last week of the walk was the first time I felt exhausted and drained of energy.

If you are interested in long walks and hikes then you can look into The Great Himalayan Trail (4500km) and The Pacific Crest Trail in the US (4300km).

http://thegreathimalayatrail.org/
http://www.pcta.org/

Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back