• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi from Toronto

IHM

Time of past OR future Camino
May (2013)
Hi folks, I'm starting my 1st camino mid-May 2013 from Leon (3-wks). I've been getting your advice and got started with my training at the end of the Dec. I've been looking for a pack & I'm hoping to pick one up within the next month or so. Just got my new runners for the camino (Nike Lunaron). I do have a question however, about booking the churches/convents for accommodation. I was thinking of staying overnight more at churches than albergues because I like to pray a bit. I guess I also have to book those ahead of time? Or should I just wing it? I have to admit I was somewhat inspired by the thread "just wing it" and see what churches/convents will accommodate me once I get there? What do you think :?: . Thanks!
IHM

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi IHM

The parochial/convent/monastery accommodations can't be booked in advance, the 3 that seem to find the highest regards from those more experienced than myself are Granon, Tosantos and Samos and if full, alternative private albergues are normally nearby.

Buen camino

Seamus

Hi IHM!
I'm not sure there are that many churches offering accommodation. Seamus says they can't be booked in advance - and, surely, that's a good thing. If you book in advance, you're committed to reaching that destination by dusk.
Don't miss albergue sleeping - it sure is an experience in many ways!!! :)
Personally, I'd try to get a list of churches offering that facility en route, then just wing it!

Buen camino!
Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, Tosantos was my favourite. However it is small, doesn't have beds (sleep mats on the floor) and does involve joining in cooking the communal meal and taking part in Night Prayer (it's run by Franciscans) which wouldn't suit everyone. Santo Domingo de la Calzada was sent from heaven for me because of the man under the stairs who strapped up my feet!

I was thinking of staying overnight more at churches
It is very hard to find open churches. The villages often share a priest and have a mass only once every four weeks as the priest rotates between them. If you cannot get inside just to look around, it is unlikely that you will be able to stay the night. Be sure to stop in the parochial albergues that are available. They may not be around too much longer. Commercial enterprise is luring even the low end pilgrim, so the parochial are left with the donativo pilgrims, who often do not donate, and those looking for the old time religiosity of the camino. There is a parochial in Foncebadon that has been renovated, and is holding its own against the other three albergues in this former ghost town. You will like it.

Buen camino.

Thank you1

Thank you Falcon269, Sue, Stephen & Supersullivan for your replies! Your comments do open up some insight about the possibility of sleeping at churches/convents. I'll do the research of the parochial list and I guess I'll wing it from there, knocking @ churches' doors first or finding me a spot @ an albergue nearby. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are several convents along the Francese which have guest accommodation and where visitors are welcome at the monastic services-- two come to mind (Santo Domingo de las Calzadas, and the Benedictines in Leon) but I believe that there are others.

Tks Oursonpoilare for the info. Prayer with the monks sounds like it'd be an awesome experience. I'd like to check that out. I guess I'll be placed where I need to be, eh? :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.