• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi. I am from South Africa. I would like to walk the Camino in September.

Dooze

Do I need to go through a tour operator (they are all fully booked ) I would like to walk alone, but I have no clue where to start. I want to walk for about 9 days.I am 44 with moderate fitness. I do love walking. Please can I have some advice on which route to take, where to start, Where do I fly to etc etc. Thanks you, I look forward to any advice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is lots of information in the Forum to help you, so start reading!

You do not need a tour operator. You can do it on your own for a fraction of the tour price. In nine days you can get from Ponferrada to Santiago; easier would be to start in Sarria or O Cebreiro.

Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
There is lots of information in the Forum to help you, so start reading!

You do not need a tour operator. You can do it on your own for a fraction of the tour price. In nine days you can get from Ponferrada to Santiago; easier would be to start in Sarria or O Cebreiro.

Buen camino!
Thankyou. I think I will do it without a tour operator. Do I need to worry about accomodation from here? Or Do I just go day by day when Im there? I will fly into Madrid. then What is the best way to get to Ponfferadda or wherever it is you suggest I start? Debbie

Do I need to go through a tour operator (they are all fully booked ) I would like to walk alone, but I have no clue where to start. I want to walk for about 9 days.I am 44 with moderate fitness. I do love walking. Please can I have some advice on which route to take, where to start, Where do I fly to etc etc. Thanks you, I look forward to any advice.

Hi there, I'm also from South Africa!~ Live in East London. Where do you live? I'm leaving on 2 Sept to start the Le Puy routein France, alone. No need to go through a tour operator, that will cost you a lot more money! Find out about the different routes by speaking to people who have done it and do research on the internet.

Book your flight and get to your starting point and walk :). I've done all my own planning, hopefully all will go according to plan. Contact the Confraternity of St James South Africa, you can get their contact numbers on the internet. They will organise your pilgrims passport. On their website they have a lot of information.

You can contact me on my cell: [edited by @ivar , might be good to send this info in a Private Conversation]

Regards
Elsabe

Last edited by a moderator:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Do I need to worry about accommodation from here? I will fly into Madrid. What is the best way to get to Ponferrada or wherever it is you suggest I start?
In September it is easy to find accommodations on a daily basis. Don't worry about them; it will be unnecessary worry.

There are seven buses a day from the Madrid airport to Ponferrada. Go to www.alsa.es to check schedules.

Hi there, I'm also from South Africa!~ Live in East London. Where do you live? I'm leaving on 2 Sept to start the Le Puy routein France, alone. No need to go through a tour operator, that will cost you a lot more money! Find out about the different routes by speaking to people who have done it and do research on the internet.

Book your flight and get to your starting point and walk :). I've done all my own planning, hopefully all will go according to plan. Contact the Confraternity of St James South Africa, you can get their contact numbers on the internet. They will organise your pilgrims passport. On their website they have a lot of information.

You can contact me on my cell: 082 8575843

Regards
Elsabe
Hi Elsabe. Thanks for the response. I am from Johannesburg. I am looking to go around the 10th September. I think the firts thing is to book my flight. I need to do lot of research. why are you starting in France?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Friends convinced me to start in Le Puy. The are french, originally from Belgium, but have been in SA for over 30 years. They've done it, said is a beautiful route, nature beautiful, food good. I have enough time to do the whole route and also part in Spain. I know a bit of french, so hopefully I will be able to comminicate.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Welcome to the Forum Dooze. I would agree with the boss, O'Cebriero or Sarria, walk at your leisure and have a day or two to explore Santiago and maybe even meet the real boss (Ivar). :)
Buen Camino

Friends convinced me to start in Le Puy. The are french, originally from Belgium, but have been in SA for over 30 years. They've done it, said is a beautiful route, nature beautiful, food good. I have enough time to do the whole route and also part in Spain. I know a bit of french, so hopefully I will be able to communicate.
Welcome to the forum Esable, basic French and Spanish phrases will suffice and you should be in France for only a day or so. Even if you have neither you will manage just fine but is courteous to at least make an effort.
Buen Camino.

Thankyou. I think I will do it without a tour operator. Do I need to worry about accomodation from here? Or Do I just go day by day when Im there? I will fly into Madrid. then What is the best way to get to Ponfferadda or wherever it is you suggest I start? Debbie

Renfe train
http://www.renfe.com/

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Dooze,
While preparation, planning, and fitness are encouraged by all of us and will readily be found here willingly, it's my experience that the less you "prepare" for the Camino in the realm of accommodations, etc., the more "open" you may make yourself to the Camino experience. Those who use "tour operators" do so to avoid the unexpected. The Camino by definition IS the "unexpected"!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Esable, basic French and Spanish phrases will suffice and you should be in France for only a day or so. Even if you have neither you will manage just fine but is courteous to at least make an effort.
Buen Camino.

I'll be in France for about 35 days! Walking from Le Puy to Pamplona, then from O Cebreiro to Santiago (or from a place that's about 8 days from Santiago). Will use french most and hopefully I will have a few phrases in spanish.

Hi, and welcome. I am from Cape Town :) I will be leaving for my Camino on 31 August :) I would suggest that you join the Confraternity of St James in South Africa first....then book your flights and get your visa (need to get quite a bit of information /documentation together for the visa) Being a member of the Confraternity really is important in getting your visa. And at the same time chat to the amazing people on this forum and get all the advice you need. The forum members have a wealth of information and no question is ever ignored. They are amazing :) :) This is such an exciting journey...and as one of the ladies from the Confraternity told me....this is the start of your Camino. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi I am also from Jhb. I am starting from Le Puy 24 th Aug. Send me a private message with your phone number and I can try help you with info. I walked the Camino Frances in 2010. Great experience. Your camino starts with your first thought....
Looks like there will be a few South Africans on the Way.
Bon Camino is wished to all...

Hi all. Some more South Africans starting in September. My husband and I will be starting in Irun on 10 September. Also our first Camino. Thanks to all on this forum for the invaluable advise you have all so freely given.
Buen Camino

Hallo Dooze,please email me and i will give you lots of info on the camino - we stay near East London and walked it in Sept 2012 for 14 days - my email adress: kogga@webmail.co.za - Johann Pretorius

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, and welcome. I am from Cape Town :) I will be leaving for my Camino on 31 August :) I would suggest that you join the Confraternity of St James in South Africa first....then book your flights and get your visa (need to get quite a bit of information /documentation together for the visa) Being a member of the Confraternity really is important in getting your visa. And at the same time chat to the amazing people on this forum and get all the advice you need. The forum members have a wealth of information and no question is ever ignored. They are amazing :) :) This is such an exciting journey...and as one of the ladies from the Confraternity told me....this is the start of your Camino. Buen Camino
Hi Jane. thankyou, Yes i will join the confraternity for sure!

Welcome to the Forum Dooze. I would agree with the boss, O'Cebriero or Sarria, walk at your leisure and have a day or two to explore Santiago and maybe even meet the real boss (Ivar). :)
Buen Camino
If i wanted to walk 20 days, where would I start. Leon?

I m
Hi I am also from Jhb. I am starting from Le Puy 24 th Aug. Send me a private message with your phone number and I can try help you with info. I walked the Camino Frances in 2010. Great experience. Your camino starts with your first thought....
Looks like there will be a few South Africans on the Way.
Bon Camino is wished to all...
I am confused now, to do the Camino Frances, or Portugese? Or to start in Ponfarredo or Leon? I ahvr about 21 days available to walk. I figure Im going all tht way, its a once in a lifetime..I should do it properly. Any advice is welcome please.:)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I m

I am confused now, to do the Camino Frances, or Portugese? Or to start in Ponfarredo or Leon? I ahvr about 21 days available to walk. I figure Im going all tht way, its a once in a lifetime..I should do it properly. Any advice is welcome please.:)

Dooze, welcome to the confused world of those of us concocting plans!

I too wonder which route to take but I'm not worried, I've read about the various routes and am satisfied that the right one will become apparent as the time gets closer.

Buen Camino

Twenty-one days is too little or too much! From Burgos it is not enough unless you are a powerful walker; it takes 23-25 days normally. From Leon it is too much; Leon to Santiago takes about 14-15 days. If you started in Leon, you would have time to walk to Fisterra (3-4 days) after reaching Santiago, or take a bus to the border with Portugal and walk back to Santiago in about 5-6 days. You could walk a fairly leisurely pace from Leon, walk or bus to Fisterra, and spend several days wandering Santiago. It all depends on how intense you want the physical part to be.

Twenty-one days is too little or too much! From Burgos it is not enough unless you are a powerful walker; it takes 23-25 days normally. From Leon it is too much; Leon to Santiago takes about 14-15 days. If you started in Leon, you would have time to walk to Fisterra (3-4 days) after reaching Santiago, or take a bus to the border with Portugal and walk back to Santiago in about 5-6 days. You could walk a fairly leisurely pace from Leon, walk or bus to Fisterra, and spend several days wandering Santiago. It all depends on how intense you want the physical part to be.
I think Leon it is! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hi forum friends, I've been reading lots of posts on here to prepare for my first Camino: May 11th to 16th, central Portuguese way starting from the portuguese border to Tui Spain As a solo female...
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back