• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi, my name is Melinda...

msuze

... I'm planning on starting from SJPP mid April 2008. I'm currently living in Ottawa Canada, very excited to be doing the Camino, but a bit perplexed about how to pack for April/May weather. I really do not want to over-pack as would like to bring my pinhole camera, so need to make allowances for that. I have questions about what type of sleeping blanket and clothes I should bring. I'm planning on sleeping indoors mainly, but not adverse to outdoors (without tent) if refugios are full. Any advice?

with warmest wishes and great appreciation,

Melinda

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
msuze said:
but a bit perplexed about how to pack for April/May weather.

Check out Arn's postings - he's walking in April of 2008, and there has been a lot of discussion about that sort of thing in his Class of 08 thread.

Also, you may want to read the book Santiago de Compostela: Journal of Our Camino, by Roger and Nancy Rhoades. They walked in April of 2008, beginning in Roncesvalles, and devote some of their book to discussing the weather around that time on the Camino and how they dealt with it. :arrow:

Thank you Vinotinto!

Will definitely look for the book you have mentioned. At what time of the year have you gone?

Warmest,
M

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Melinda, welcome to the class of 2008 I am also from canada the Niagara region and plan to do the Camino at begining of May. I am glad you had good guidance at Mountain Equipment Coop thats where I plan to go for my gear. Again have a great Camino. Oh before I forget it's great to have the forum back and running thanks Ivar you are the greatest.
peace,
niel

Ditto on the Site being back up Ivar. and, now that we're back up:

Welcome Melinda to the Class of 2008!

Gosh, before we know it the numbers of peregrinos on the Camino will be increasing and we will be a part of an experience over a thousand years in progress.

I will be on the Camino beginning in mid April and hope to reach SDC on May 23rd a feast day. May I humble suggest you check out the Class of 2008 thread. You'll get a good idea of who else may be on the Milky Way at the same time. Also, take a look at the other threads, there's so much good info here.

Buen Camino,
Arn

Hi Melinda,
I'm beginning my camino at the end of March from Roncesvalles. As far as sleeping bags go, I bought a Snugpak from Story Creek Inc. It is light weight, .75 kg. and packs up very small. It's supposed to keep you warm to a low of 2 degrees C. I'm thinking of buying a silk liner as well. Based on what others in the forum have said, the combination should be fine. I'm also bringing thermals (a lot of people here recommend silk) and plan on layering.
Buen camino.
Arlene

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Melinda, welcome to the Forum :)
I think there are plenty more expert than I on equipment on the forum so I'll leave that area to others. However in April/May the weather can be anything from cold and wet with driving, persistent rain (temp about 6C) to very hot days with temperatures heading towards 30 C. It can get hot enough to sleep outside at times.
Buen Camino :arrow:
Brendan

Hi Melinda,
I have walked 3 times early to mid April and into May. (I'm also from Canada incidentally). The ONLY downside about walking at this time is that as mentioned above by Brendan you have to be prepared for any type of weather. In 2007 those of us walking experienced rain, lots of puddles and deep mud, scorching hot sun and snow(west of Leon in May) with freezing temperatures. Think of light layers of clothes. I take silk longjohns and silk long sleeved t-shirt, a light merino wool long sleeved sweater (all available at MEC), a fleecy vest, and I do wear waterproofed leather boots. (and pants too of course!) And yes - do take a light sleeping bag(MEC not good with bags) and a silk liner. Albergues are not heated and are cold at night in the early spring. Days can be really hot though and the change can happen overnight so be prepared. There were lots of badly sunburned noses this past year because people didn't adapt to the change quickly enough.
Having said all that - I LOVE walking in April and May. The flowers are fabulous and the locals are fresh and eager for the new season. Mornings are cool and wonderful. Be prepared to take layers off during the day.
Buen camino
Cecelia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Cecilia,
If you passed through refugio Gaucelmo at Rabanal in 2nd half of May 2007 then we met, I was hospitalero. Certainly the weather you describe matches up.
Regards,
Brendan

Thanks everyone for your sound advice and warm welcome. :D

Sounds like layered clothing and willingness to surrender to the elements are the order of the day - this will be wonderful, I'm counting the days now... looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you on the way (Arn, I was aiming for May 18 in Santiago, but will change to 23rd now - thanks for info)

Peace and love,
melinda

Hi, Just in case there's a question on St James Feast Days and non Holy Years, Sil wrote:

The plenary indulgence is given, not only in Holy Years, but also in ordinary years on Easter Sunday; 21st April - the anniversary of the consecration of the cathedral; and on St James's three feast days. (25th July, 30 December and 23 May).

Hope that clears up a question that may be lingering out there.

I need every plenary indulgence I can receive.

Buen Camino,

Arn

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Would someone please describe what you would put on to walk on a 6 degree Centigrade day with freezing wind and rain....or would you just not leave the refugio you slept in? I don't think I have ever walkedin heavy rain: run to shelter yes, but not walked. Is it really possible?! Brrr! I decided to walk in May to avoid the crowds ......brrr!, heat, well I know that better....
Clarisa

Clarisa,

You've hit the magic number...at least for me! Over the entire AT where the temp and conditions (in March) could go from -degrees C to + 20 C in a few hours, I found that at 6 C/42 F I would comfortably hike in nothing more than my long sleeve poly-pro shirt and shorts. When I stopped for a break I'd put on my fleece jacket...then take it off again as I continued.

With the exception of one day, following a blizzard where the snow was driven sideways and the drifts were 4-5 feet deep where I wore my long legged poly-pros, I walked the remainder in shorts and gaiters.

The real key in winter weather is layering yes...but, more important is keeping your central core, head, hands and feet dry and warm. Your central core will retain its warmth and will quickly begin to heat up as you walk along.

In the Smokey Mts, we were in a caged shelter, outside temp about - 5 C/20F and a sleet falling hard...a young man came to the shelter about 2200 at night (10 pm for some folks), he was exhausted, wet and in trouble. I noticed he didn't have a pack and asked him where it was. He indicated he'd dropped it back on the trail. Then he mentioned there were two others out there!

As there were 10 folks in the shelter...we zipped two bags together and put him in with another hiker who was wearing shirts and a t-shirt. Then three of us set out to find the other two. We found the first of the missing about a mile away curled up and covered with about 1 foot of snow. That probably saved his life. Two of my fellows went back with him and I pushed on. In about 10 minutes, two others from the shelter caught up with me and we pressed on. We found the last a mile higher on the mt.,he was already dead. The other two survived.

Here's my point, they didn't check the weather report, or they would have seen that the temp was going to fall rapidly and sleet and snow move in. They were dressed in levi's, cotton flannel shirts, sweat shirts and light wind breakers. Once they got soaked thru...it was a losing battle...especially at 5,000 feet/1500 m.

So, NO Cotton...your body heat can't dry it once it's wet.

If it's raining and you put on a poncho, make sure that you can ventilate and circulate air underneath.

If you feel yourself start sweating under your clothes ...you're wearing too much. Reduce something. Just taking your hat off will allow up to 30 % of your body heat to escape. When you begin to feel a bit of a chill...put the hat back on.

Wear good wicking layers close to your body, to keep your core warm, also your hands and head. Unless it's freezing rain...you really don't need to cover your legs. Yes you'll be wet, but wet and warm isn't a bad thing. Wet and cold is a bad, bad thing.

Buen dry and warm Camino,
Arn

cbarua said:
Would someone please describe what you would put on to walk on a 6 degree Centigrade day with freezing wind and rain

The coldest, rainiest, windiest day I walked was the stage up to O'Cebreiro and down the other side (entering Galicia). The morning started out OK, but then degenerated into fog as I got higher up the mountains. Then a light rain began, followed by heavier rain with fog and wind. Of course, I had my pack on, along with the following:

1) REI Cotton Hat (probably the only cotton item you should have in your inventory, if even that).
2) REI synthetic T-shirt.
3) North Face synthetic polo-type outer shirt.
4) ExOfficio travel underwear.
5) North Face synthetic travel pants (zipped off the legs and wore as shorts - your legs will dry faster than cloth will).
6) Two pairs of socks, and my boots.
7) Bicycling gloves.
8. ExOffico Neckerchief.
9) Zip-up poncho with hood and sleeves (went over the pack).

On the whole, I kept warm enough as long as I kept moving. That was a hilly stage, so I generated quite a bit of heat by my exertion. To help keep warm, I'd stop at bars to soak up the heat, and I also drank hot coffee spiked with cognac. I had a bit of trouble with my poncho on the trails that cut along the sides of hills - the wind sometimes blew up and blew my poncho off my pack, until a pilgrim tied the poncho's tail into a knot to keep it in place. On the way down, I stopped at a restaurant and had a hot meal of beef, fries, and a great potato soup (and vino). That meal really kick-started me, and I was good to go until I made the albergue.

If you encounter those kinds of conditions, you may want to join a group of pilgrims and walk with them. I mainly walked alone, although I encountered folks along the way and we would walk together for a time (and by that stage, you will probably have made some friends, or at least be known to other pilgrims). It's certainly a morale booster to walk with a friend in conditions like that...indeed, at the restaurant one of my Spanish friends helped me order, and that was a godsend, since I was so tired I could barely remember my Spanish. :arrow:

EDIT: Please note that it was August when I walked this stage, and the conditions in the Galician mountains was as I described. If you walk during other seasons, then adjust your clothing accordingly... :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Arn and Vinotinto have provided useful and interesting advice but those of us (like Melinda and myself) who are from Ottawa, all one need do is point to the fact that walking to work this morning could only be done at -22°C (wind chill included). Indeed, this morning I experienced an agreeable 9.5km stroll to my ophthalmologist appointment at 7.00 am (double-layered as Arn counsels).

Clarissa wrote...or would you just not leave the refugio you slept in?

Please note that this is generally not an option. If you are staying in an albergue, you are only allowed to stay one night...you must leave in the morning regardless of conditions. There are times when one is ill and/or injured when a generous hospitalero may allow a pilgrim to remain (as in the case of the Dutch man who fell and injured his ankle and could not carry the baby) but that is more the exception than the rule. That occurred at Grañon and I think we can all agree that the albergue at Grañon is unique. I also heard of a peregrina who was quite ill - stomach virus - and even went to a doctor, but the hospitalero made her leave and go on. She ended up in hospital. So you cannot count on the hospitalero to take pity on you just because of weather conditions - and generally you should NOT plan on spending an extra day at a refugio.
Buen Camino,

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Clarisa,

Just a thought...your avatar is of a beautiful woman with a smile that many would die for. Over the past few months I've observed you grow into Your Camino. You will have a fantastic and rewarding trek to look forward to along the Milky Way. An inspiration to yourself and one and all.

Buen Camino,

Arn

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone tell me where I can purchase a Vodafone sim card in SJPD or any other town . I start in SJPD I prefer to have a sim rather then a esim
Hace dos días falleció a los 78 años Pepe Puertas "el peregrino de La Rioja" Todos los años en Julio hacía el camino francés completo para llegar a Compostela el 25 de Julio. Año tras año durante...
Hello my name is Brenda and I am establishing a daily AA meeting 6-7 pm at Casa Anglican WhatsApp 416-8018176 for daily updates Thankyou. Buen Camino
Hi we are walking from Puebla De Sanabria to Terroso tomorrow and given the downpours we have had today, I wondered if anyone had any updates???
Hello. I’m Steph from USA Arriving in pamplona May 27 2024 Is anyone arriving that destination & date so we can coordinate transportation to SJPP. TIA
Hello fellow peregrines, I’m Davide , a 30,yrs old Italian guy from Barcelona ! I was always fascinated by the Camino de Santiago and my eyes got lucent when a day to the pueblo español I saw...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back