• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hi this is Cathy planning to walk 5 days

Cathycrick

Time of past OR future Camino
September/October 2014
We are flying into Asturias and plan to bus to a reasonable start point for 5 days walking into Santiago. Really like the look of the mountainous section after Astorga but realise that's too far so we were wondering about walking and taking a bus some of the way. Any suggestions from you veterans out there as this is my first time?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Can you walk that section and come back later for the last bit into Santiago, or would you prefer to get to Santiago in those five days? (Please keep in mind it is highly addictive.) How far are you willing or able to walk each day? Not a lot to miss in Galicia ... :D

Can you walk that section and come back later for the last bit into Santiago, or would you prefer to get to Santiago in those five days? (Please keep in mind it is highly addictive.) How far are you willing or able to walk each day? Not a lot to miss in Galicia ... :D
Hi! Want to get to Santiago on the 5th or 6th day as flying out from there day 7. Don't mind about the certificate so just wanting to get a feel for the walk and the experience and love mountains! Advice on best bits to walk and which to bus would be great thanks

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi! Want to get to Santiago on the 5th or 6th day as flying out from there day 7. Don't mind about the certificate so just wanting to get a feel for the walk and the experience and love mountains! Advice on best bits to walk and which to bus would be great thanks
Forgot to say willing to walk up to 5 hours max each day - fairly fit but not sure how far that would get us

Welcome Cathy, with five days walking I would start from Sarria. You will have time to enjoy the walk and may even have some time to explore Santiago. This is a beautiful section and you will have a great choice in accommodation.
Buen Camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi Cathy!
I'd be tempted just to pick up the Camino del Norte to the west of Oviedo/Gijon (maybe at Aviles?) and aim for somewhere like Ribadeo, which has reasonable links to Santiago for your flight home. Otherwise getting to the start could really eat into your time. If you were flying into Santiago you would have many more choices. I've never walked the Northern route, but by all accounts it's beautiful. Others will advise better on the specifics.
Buen Camino!

Welcome Cathy, with five days walking I would start from Sarria. You will have time to enjoy the walk and may even have some time to explore Santiago. This is a beautiful section and you will have a great choice in accommodation.
Buen Camino.
Hi Thanks for the advice. Do you think we need to book overnight accommodation in advance or will it be easy to find somewhere each night without booking?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Some people prefer to book private accommodation from Sarria in, especially the ones who have been on the road for many weeks already, while others enjoy the unpredictability and go with the flow, stopping when you feel like it and finding somewhere or moving on to the next place. The bed race is not as bad as this forum sometimes makes out, at least not outside June and July. If you can't find somewhere and you are really tired, get a taxi back or forth a few kms and then go back and start again from the same point the next day. No one has ever been forced to sleep under the stars (though some prefer it).

Some people prefer to book private accommodation from Sarria in, especially the ones who have been on the road for many weeks already, while others enjoy the unpredictability and go with the flow, stopping when you feel like it and finding somewhere or moving on to the next place. The bed race is not as bad as this forum sometimes makes out, at least not outside June and July. If you can't find somewhere and you are really tired, get a taxi back or forth a few kms and then go back and start again from the same point the next day. No one has ever been forced to sleep under the stars (though some prefer it).
Thanks your advice has been very helpful, and we will most likely go with the flow!

We are flying into Asturias and plan to bus to a reasonable start point for 5 days walking into Santiago. Really like the look of the mountainous section after Astorga but realise that's too far so we were wondering about walking and taking a bus some of the way. Any suggestions from you veterans out there as this is my first time?
Sarria

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hello Nidarosa, I agree with you when you say "it's highly addictive"... So, I was wondering, have you thought what makes it so exhilirating....? Why is it that one wants to go back and walk more and more despite the muscular ache, the constant efforts....

- The freedom.
- The flexibility - I always carry my own pack and would advise those who can, to do the same, rather than be tied into a rigid plan, set stages and pre-booked accommodation, just make your own decisions depending on how you feel there and then.
- The simplicity - less is more; an important life lesson in my opinion. How much do you really need to be safe, warm, happy?
- The routine - get up, walk, shower, do laundry, eat, drink, sleep, repeat, a soothing predictability in all the unknown
- The fellowship of all the people from all over the world and all walks of life, all heading towards the same goal
- Not knowing what the day will bring, who you will meet, what you will learn, what thoughts will pop up
- The joy of feeling your body working, being outside with the sun, the wind, the rain, the views, the fellow pilgrims
- Knowing it is there, even when you are not ... waiting.

Am I getting close?

Wonderful answer, thank you!

Yes, I can relate to everything you state, although I have not yet begun my "proper" walk... That's why I intend to do the 800 Kms in two or three months, hopefully in 2015. However, last month I did 4 stages of the 5 I had planned, that's why I looked into this thread, seeking to look back and relate to others in their beginning stages. Hence, I can say that now I can talk about how NOT to do the walk, although all experiences are gaining moments...

I hope to experience all you have described, even if I am struggling with the idea of carrying my stuff, and at the monent I think I will begin with the newly service offered by CORREOS (the Spanish post office) of trasporting my bag from one place to another for few Euros, which will demand more planning I imagine.

From my personal angle, I would only add to your list the spiritual dimension and the full enjoyment offered by the Catholic reality so evident in the Spanish culture.

So, when will be your next Camino ?

- The freedom.
- The flexibility - I always carry my own pack and would advise those who can, to do the same, rather than be tied into a rigid plan, set stages and pre-booked accommodation, just make your own decisions depending on how you feel there and then.
- The simplicity - less is more; an important life lesson in my opinion. How much do you really need to be safe, warm, happy?
- The routine - get up, walk, shower, do laundry, eat, drink, sleep, repeat, a soothing predictability in all the unknown
- The fellowship of all the people from all over the world and all walks of life, all heading towards the same goal
- Not knowing what the day will bring, who you will meet, what you will learn, what thoughts will pop up
- The joy of feeling your body working, being outside with the sun, the wind, the rain, the views, the fellow pilgrims
- Knowing it is there, even when you are not ... waiting.

Am I getting close?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Why are you struggling with the idea of carrying your stuff? Is there perhaps too much of it? I have spent a great deal of time and miles of trial and error minimising my packing list* exactly so I can carry my pack with no problems and be ready for anything at any time. I am struggling with the idea of having my medical kit, my spare T-shirt or my spare shoes in a pack in the back of a taxi if I should need it. You don't need much, so don't take much. A heavy pack will add to your troubles, a light pack will add to your adventure!

If you are physically able to carry 5-6 kgs on your back, start now practising carrying it, and start practising packing light. If you get used to it, it won't seem or feel so scary anymore and you might change your mind about transporting your pack. Too many people are chasing material things in their everyday life, why would you want to chase your belongings on the Camino?

*search Un-packinglist on this forum and my latest list is somewhere towards the end of the thread

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
June 22 -@Amachant (SJPP)
Hi I'm Keith 60 years young from Newcastle upon Tyne UK.arriving on the 1635 Edinburgh ryanair flight on 9th September 2024 anyone like to share my express bourricot
I loved my 2022 Camino Frances!! Leaving Los Angeles on May 26 for Lisbon. Will walk the Portuguese Costal route and the spiritual variant. Starts from Porto on June 4 and arrive in Santiago on...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back