• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Hiking poles (please bear with me) need honest advice.

And it was my post that received ZERO responses. But I continue searching because the inventor/retailer of these very effective poles is a small concern based in the Lake District, UK. The poles are now manufactured in Taiwan, and as a result of the post-Covid supply chain interruptions & materials shortage, her business is regarded as a 'minnow' and falls to the bottom of the manufacturer's list of customers! I know Heather Rhodes is still committed to retailing her invention but she needs help here on this issue. This is not my area of expertise but if there's anybody within the Camino network who could help Heather, and ultimately the rest of us , then here's an opportunity for some altruistic community action.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I hiked the Appalachian Trail and poles were a must have. I’ve brought mine along for the El Camino.

I bought Pacer Poles many years ago. I'd certainly recommend them particularly if you've not used poles before because you automatically and easily use them properly. I only bought a different pair when I walked a Camino and wanted something that would pack smaller. I do hope they can continue producing them.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am a recent convert to trekking poles. I decided to get them for the Del Norte as it’s known for the tougher terrain. After one training hike with them I became a convert. Much easier to go up and downhills. And faster on the flats.

There are a number of instructional videos on proper technique which you should watch if you decide to get some. Technique matters. Walking with them engages your whole body.

I got Z poles instead of telescopic poles as I felt they would be more compact for traveling. I also bought several pairs of rubber tips which not only make walking quieter but they also remove some vibration on hard surfaces such as roads.

And yes, my hands did not swell.

I bought two poles in Pamplona and gave them away three days later. They just got in the way

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Walk with walking poles to avoid the swelling of the hands and fingers. Find light ones.

Most read last week in this forum