• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking the Camino Frances with Rheumatoid Arthritis - Need Advice on Poles

DeeH

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024
I will be walking the Camino Frances in Sept/Oct 2024 and have recently had a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis, which is bothering my hands. Does anyone have experience with either the Pacer poles or the Activator pole, specifically in the hand part? I’ve already tried the regular Trail Buddy poles but it impacts the palm and thumb joint area, at the base of my thumb and they were a problem immediately. The Pacer Poles are nearly $300 and are ordered from the UK, so I’m unable to try them or even see them properly, until I purchase them. Thanks for any info you have!

Anyone else walking with RA?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have pacer poles and love them. I don't take them because I notoriously leave my poles at bars and hostals - but they're worth the price. I don't recall paying THAT much for them. And yes, I have RA

It looks to me that the Pacer Poles Carbon 3 twist are only 117 pounds which is about $150.
Not sure wher eyou live that they're $300?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have pacer poles and love them. I don't take them because I notoriously leave my poles at bars and hostals - but they're worth the price. I don't recall paying THAT much for them. And yes, I have RA

It looks to me that the Pacer Poles Carbon 3 twist are only 117 pounds which is about $150.
Not sure wher eyou live that they're $300?
I am in northern Canada. I looked again at them today, only available from UK. At £127 + shipping and then taxes and duty, they will be closer to $275. Cdn. A significant purchase for me, especially if they won’t work for me. Do you have any problem holding your pacer poles? Can you tell me how it sits in your hand? Does your thumb have to do anything? Thanks so much!

I am in northern Canada. I looked again at them today, only available from UK. At £127 + shipping and then taxes and duty, they will be closer to $275. Cdn. A significant purchase for me, especially if they won’t work for me. Do you have any problem holding your pacer poles? Can you tell me how it sits in your hand? Does your thumb have to do anything? Thanks so much!
Here is a quick video. The weight (if any) is not on the thumb, it is on the heel of the hand.
Sorry about my dirty shirt. I'm making sourdough today. lol!
Also, they're 2 different lengths because we had a snowstorm here and my granddaughter and son were using one each for walking.
Hope this helps.
View attachment IMG_3972.MOV

If you use hiking poles correctly then any pressure on your hand will be in the area of your little finger palm via the strap(s).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will be walking the Camino Frances in Sept/Oct 2024 and have recently had a diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis, which is bothering my hands. Does anyone have experience with either the Pacer poles or the Activator pole, specifically in the hand part? I’ve already tried the regular Trail Buddy poles but it impacts the palm and thumb joint area, at the base of my thumb and they were a problem immediately. The Pacer Poles are nearly $300 and are ordered from the UK, so I’m unable to try them or even see them properly, until I purchase them. Thanks for any info you have!

I have used the pacer poles for two caminos. If you have arthritis in your hands or wrists they are well worth the investment! I used padded bike gloves because I would often use them almost like crutches when knees bothering me.

I used Pacer Poles on the French Camino (and many far more difficult hikes) and can report that they are fabulous. I have the carbon fiber cam lock ones (not the twist lock As I find the cam lick easier). I suggest you send the Pacer Pole people an email. The designer is a physiotherapist and I found very helpful.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have osteoarthritis, worse in one hand than the other. I have been able to use conventional trekking poles for many years without difficulty for the past couple of decades. I now use poles with lever lock mechanisms. I started doing this some time ago when I still had sufficient grip strength to manage twist locks. Even though my grip strength hasn't declined too much, I don't think I would return to a twist lock pole. I certainly don't feel the need to move away from conventional poles because of my arthritis, but I can see that others might.

Last edited:
I have rhizarthrosis and am very happy with my Pacer Poles. Thanks to the design of the handles, you can hold the poles very lightly (without any straps); no need to firmly grip them at all. The "heel" and outer edge of your hand are cradled into the handle, and that's where the weight or pressure is put on to give you propulsion. I find them very comfortable and well worth the money and use them every step of my caminos.
As my hands tend to get sweaty when hiking in the warmer months, I put a pair of old cotton socks over the handles so that they don't get slippery. The socks are washed with the rest of my laundry at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there, Pacer Poles all the way, simply fantastic bit of kit, I have walked multiple caminos and wouldn't use anything else. I have met the very kind lady who developed them, as we live close to each other. she is a physiotherapist and knew what she was doing. Can’t praise the poles enough. Buen camino

I have over 3K miles with Pacer Poles on various Caminos. For those that ask my opinion about how to walk a Camino, they are a must-have if you are going to walk with poles. (I can't imagine walking the Camino without poles.) They have saved me from tumbles/twisted ankles on several occasions. Worth $300? If that is what it takes to get a pair, yes. What is a more comfortable walk/security on hard passages/saves from injuries worth? Knowing what I have experienced, I would eagerly pay that for a pair--Lucy and Ricky, as I call them since they are marked L/R, are my constant companions when walking. I have carried them on the plane--checking in as carry-ons on multiple occasions over the last 8 years at DFW/JFK/PDX/LGA/SEA in the US and CDG/MAD/LHR/ORY/BIQ/LYS/TLS over the pond. I have them in a (from Amazon) camera tripod case, packed head to toe (the case is soft so it stretches at the end to get it zipped) strapped to the side of my backpack tucked in a net spot for a water bottle. I went through TSA with two sets last summer (DFW) to meet my daughter in JFK and only had one pair in the bag, the other I just had the tips wrapped in a plastic bag (ground dirt from wear) and strapped in the other beverage holder spot on my backpack. Never an issue through TSA. The tripod case is my safety measure should I ever be stopped and have to check them as luggage, they are ready to go. No, not on commission/don't own stock.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
With Pacer Poles you don‘t use the straps at all for walking - just for hanging them up! The design of the grips means that your hands are supported.
When walking I do keep the straps over my hands loosely. I was told to do so in the event I fell, the poles wouldn’t be out of reach. The thing about the straps is to have them loose—and Pacer Poles’ straps are elastic— which is even better for safety. They are elastic and to be kept loose so that if you do fall, the strap won’t break your wrist.

When walking I do keep the straps over my hands loosely. I was told to do so in the event I fell, the poles wouldn’t be out of reach. The thing about the straps is to have them loose—and Pacer Poles’ straps are elastic— which is even better for safety. They are elastic and to be kept loose so that if you do fall, the strap won’t break your wrist.
I keep the elastic straps looped loosely over my wrists. Then when I stop to take a photo I can just let them dangle instead of setting them down.

Here's another one to support Pacer Poles, and I have Osteoarthritis in both wrists and hands.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.