• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking Poles

Bruster

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2016 - Portuguese 2018
Hi, I'm going to do the Portuguese Camino Spiritual Variant from Porto to Santiago. Are there places on this pilgrimage you would recommend hiking poles? I am not in the habit of using them. I have walked the Frances a couple of times and there are places there that they were greatly appreciated. Your suggestions will be appreciated.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would recommend them from Porto to Santiago ;), but then, I use my poles all the time when I am walking. Clearly that isn't your practice, so it really depends on where you think you got the most benefit. There are both steeper and rougher tracks in several places. The climb after Labruja and descent after that come to mind, as do one or two descents north of Tui. From a balance perspective, some of the tracks in the last day into Santiago are pretty rough in short stretches earlier in the day, but never for very far.

YES! I love a hiking pole thread.

I heard this before and I don't know where from: "they reduce wear on joints by 30% and increase caloric burn by 20%." I have no idea if this is accurate... but anecdotally, my upper body is stronger after walking with poles, and going downhill, well they saved me sometimes. Also, good when crossing streams or even puddles.

I can't speak for your specific route, as they all get mixed up in my head.

But, my suggestion to anyone, is always use poles. I frankly don't understand why some people don't.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
After many years of not using poles I now use them regardless of terrain and find them most helpful in easing strain particularly on my knees.

After many years of not using poles I now use them regardless of terrain and find them most helpful in easing strain particularly on my knees.
Ditto. The only times I carry my poles is going in or out of a shop or an Albergue. The rest of the time, they carry me.

I first used them in training last February. I was astonished to find that I was walking two to three kilometers more per day (10%) in the same time frame after just a few days training. I've used them on 2 Caminos since.

The key is learning to use them properly.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have used poles routinely for many years so agree with the statements above in support of poles. Trying to think where they might be particularly useful on the Spiritual Variant; yes the long and beautiful uphill after Combarro they would be helpful. The stage after Armenteira where you follow the stunning Ruta da Pedra e da Agua starts as a quite steep woodland path, over and around rocks and tree roots. I love my poles on terrain like this as they really help my balance.

YES! I love a hiking pole thread.

I heard this before and I don't know where from: "they reduce wear on joints by 30% and increase caloric burn by 20%." I have no idea if this is accurate... but anecdotally, my upper body is stronger after walking with poles, and going downhill, well they saved me sometimes. Also, good when crossing streams or even puddles.

I can't speak for your specific route, as they all get mixed up in my head.

But, my suggestion to anyone, is always use poles. I frankly don't understand why some people don't.
Thank you for your suggestions. It does make sense and I need to start to use them on regular basis. My friend that I have done 3 Camino’s with has used hiking poles, I guess I just haven’t made the effort. Time to change.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ditto. The only times I carry my poles is going in or out of a shop or an Albergue. The rest of the time, they carry me.

I first used them in training last February. I was astonished to find that I was walking two to three kilometers more per day (10%) in the same time frame after just a few days training. I've used them on 2 Caminos since.

The key is learning to use them properly.
So how do I learn to use them properly? And what tips to use? Sorry if this is repetitive, should probably check YouTube

using the poles keeps my hands from swelling, although once I’m in town sometimes carry them. Rubber tips helps reduce the click-click-click.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So how do I learn to use them properly? And what tips to use? Sorry if this is repetitive, should probably check YouTube

My go- to video. Older, but still one of the best/ most relevant I’ve seen. Ignore the tips element here, he’s in the mountains

Rubber tips that fit your poles. If they fit, the cheap Decathlon ones are excellent

For me poles to walk a camino are as important as having a good backpak. Not only are they so good, when properly used, for the propulsion, even on flat ground, but going uphill or downhill they release a lot of strain or stress of your knees. Many times they also did save me from slipping or falling badly.
The main question is how to properly use them, many things can be found on the web. Nordic walking has many different steps and ways to use the poles. I do a lot of cross country skiing where you must use your poles so I transfert these technics to the walk. By example I use the double push most of the time in synchro. with my breathing
breathing in (pole) 3 steps / breathing out (pole) 3 steps etc I feel that it is a very relaxing and effective way to walk, a more mindful way.
find by yourself what work best for you experiment consciously a lot.
The rubber tips are also important to respect the people of the village and the city, the clic clic clic noise heard hundreds of time and hundred of days might become really annoying, the rubber also give you a better traction on the hard. I found that the best rubber tips are the one sold at Decathlon, they are real rubber. In the wood we take them off. The poles are also an effective way to protect if a dog become aggressive.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
So do I buy these when I get there or can I take them as a carry-on on the plane? I thought I read here that some people have had theirs confiscated by security.
My wife and I each bought poles in SJPP for our first Camino, and took them home with us. We checked baggage going home, and they fit just fine in my backpack. I personally wouldn't try to put them as carry-on if that is how you plan to bring your backpack. I know some have successfully done so, but some haven't as well, and I wouldn't want to take the risk.

Many people buy poles in SJPdP and they have a good selection at different price points. The downside to this is not practising ahead of your Camino unless you also buy some at home. Poles come in womens' sizes too.

I have good quality Leki micro carbon poles that fold so fit inside my pack for travel. Therefore I always check my pack. I like these poles because they are lightweight with handles that are still comfortable when my hands sweat. I have now bought some Outdoor Research ActiveIce fingerless sun gloves because your hands get a lot of sun exposure when you use poles!

What I don't understand is bring poles, but carrying them on your pack where they add extra weight instead of using them!

Besides the obvious reasons to use them, I find that they help my posture while wearing a backpack. I use my poles all the time except when I'm in busy places, then I stow them on my pack, which is what I did when I got to Valença on the Camino Portugués. I didn't want to bother stopping to take them off my pack for the short walk from there to Tui. But an hour later after walking without my poles my upper back was sore!

I also like how they keep my arms toned up.😊

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you're 22 years old with perfect knees, then it might not be necessary.
If you have any kind of knee issues, trekking poles will always take off some of the pressure.
Poles help tremendously going up or down any hill with significant steepness. Usually going DOWN a steep hill has a much higher likelihood of SLIPPING/FALLING, without the use of trekking poles.
If you're on flat ground, using poles helps to maintain your rhythm.
But, usually if I'm walking on a flat paved road, I'll just store them in my pack.
If you're tired, you tend to start to slow down. Poles help to maintain an steady pace.

Hi, I'm going to do the Portuguese Camino Spiritual Variant from Porto to Santiago. Are there places on this pilgrimage you would recommend hiking poles? I am not in the habit of using them. I have walked the Frances a couple of times and there are places there that they were greatly appreciated. Your suggestions will be appreciated.
Bruster
Great question….
You will NEED trekking poles for the climb up and slide down along the Armenteira. Don’t miss it!!

I habitually use my trekking poles. I go faster and save my legs from over use. My husband and I did this trek last May. He was carrying a trekking pole and had to pull it out for the descent on this route.
Buen Camino
👣🎒💖

So do I buy these when I get there or can I take them as a carry-on on the plane? I thought I read here that some people have had theirs confiscated by security.
Yes! Poles on the plane! This thread is getting even better!

I sometimes bring them. I sometimes buy them there. But I never carry them on. Not to say it's impossible, sometimes they are looked at as "medical aids"... and allowed. (My guess is that people who are actually walking with their poles in the airport get away with carrying them on... but this is totally just a guess. Also I've heard "Z type" poles that fit inside your pack may get through.) YMMV.

When I bring them I check them in but in a bag specifically meant for poles. It's handy then because I can bring my knife too. These are the only things I check in though. My pack with all other gear is carried on.

If I buy them there it sort of depends on the route I'm taking but generally, except in SJPdP, I prefer mass market stores because they tend to be less expensive there. I'm SJPdP there's a store across from the pilgrims' office that sells very reasonably priced poles. They also carry the "good" rubber pole tips... more on that later!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Now... about the pole tips. I can only speak for myself and it also depends on the route, but the "little" rubber tips that come with the poles only tend to last me like 4 days before they get a hole in them. I like these...

They tend to last me from say SJPdP to Leon or so on the Frances... hence the multi pack.

I know you can find similar tips in SJPdP at the before mentioned store, and I've also found them at the "big backpack" store in Astorga.

You’re correct- some people get through with their poles in their carry on luggage, some don’t. There are so many variables at play that it’s not really worth risking it. You DEFINITELY will not be able to fly out of SCQ with them in your carry on.

Either check your poles, or, my preference, have a cheap pair at home to train with, and buy a pair in SJPdP. Or, if you’re overnighting in a larger city beforehand (eg Madrid) seek out the local Decathlon. Buy with the appropriate rubber tips (normally sold separately).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you're leaving the USA or transiting through a US airport, getting poles through security in your carry on is highly dependent upon the particular TSA (Transport Security Administration) official that is screening your backpack that day.

I've never gotten them through security at Denver, but easily got them through security in Dallas several times.

Officially the TSA prohibits hiking poles in carry on; https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/sporting-and-camping?page=3

Now... about the pole tips. I can only speak for myself and it also depends on the route, but the "little" rubber tips that come with the poles only tend to last me like 4 days before they get a hole in them. I like these...

They tend to last me from say SJPdP to Leon or so on the Frances... hence the multi pack.

I know you can find similar tips in SJPdP at the before mentioned store, and I've also found them at the "big backpack" store in Astorga.
Or by the pole tips sold by decathlon (the red ones) They last more than one camino, and I use my poles every kilometer

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
increase caloric burn by 20%
A little approximate physics: the burn rate may increase from faster walking because of the poles, but during a shorter time so the overall burn for the day about the same.

And some of the burn is in the upper body (helping faster walking if desired) thus less burn (for the day) in the legs. This keeps the upper body active for the many days on a Camino when otherwise they might be having lower duties. Upper body atrophy is not desirable.

A good outcome and one of the reasons I also use poles most of the time.

A little approximate physics: the burn rate may increase from faster walking because of the poles, but during a shorter time so the overall burn for the day about the same.
Or you go further in the same amount of time.

Also: you burn a heck of lot more calories running a 10K vs. walking one. So unless I am dense I don't understand what you are saying, from a physics point of view.

Last edited:
Or you go further in the same amount of time.
Yes but the assumption I made was you had a fixed distance to walk for the Camino you intend to walk. Say point X to Santiago Cathedral and you had a notional plan of so many days.

Of course you could plan a longer Camino BECAUSE you had poles, and burn about the same energy and be in better condition :D
you burn a heck of lot more calories running a 10K vs. walking one.
I don't tend to see people running caminos because they have walking poles. Merely increasing their speed by perhaps ½ km / hour give or take a whole lot of human variables. To keep the physics simple the energy burn doesn't change much because of that modest speed change, certainly not a heck of a lot more.

Although it is possible that the poles can (with training) improve the posture and ergonomics with consequent muscular efficiency resulting in lower burn - perhaps.

I was trying to keep it approximately simple as a retort to the 20% throw-away above, so as not to start another pole or not conversation. I guess I failed.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
To keep the physics simple the energy burn doesn't change much because of that modest speed change, certainly not a heck of a lot more.
I suspect that, all other things being equal, there will be a difference as one's upper body does more of the work of propelling the body forward. When all the work is done by the lower body, you are using muscles that are better optimised for walking (and running). Doing some of this with the muscles of the upper body that are less optimised for continuous propulsion will result in some increased energy use.

I use them mostly going downhill, crossing water, navigating muddy tracks, etc. I just buy a pair at a Decathlon store and donate thme at the end.

We had a disassembled pole in cabin luggage. It looked like we would get to keep it as an assembled stick had just passed through the scanner in the line next to us all by itself in plain sight. Ours though was confiscated. We could have gone back to the airline counter to check the pole separately but the meant using time to retrieve it before boarding our connecting flight and possibly missing the flight (we had no checked in luggage, only cabin bags). Later we saw a guy at the gates double poling it.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. I think we lost because our inspector was new (my feeling anyway) and she didn't want to chance breaking any rules while on probation.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I like to use poles. Maybe not necessary on some flat areas without stones, rocks or roots but I'll say this...they sure help keep the swelling down in my hands while hiking. Not to mention helpful to relieve stress on knees on the downhill. Useful on uphill too. I'm a fan!

Hi, like many others who have responded, I use my poles (rubber tips) on all my walks for all the reasons stated. I remember one particular day on the Portuguese where we came across a very flat, yet very muddy and slippery section. I'm not sure how we would have traversed it without our poles. A man arrived at the albergue soon after us covered in mud from head to toe. He had fallen multiple times on that FLAT section of trail. Luckily, he didn't hurt himself.

Takeaway for me: always walk with poles. You never know when you'll really need them.

Thank you for all the information and positive suggestions for the use of hiking poles. I just started to use mine on several short hikes and they do make a difference. Definitely looking forward to my adventure in April on the Portuguese Coastal Camino.

Buen Camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
So true. I have had both experiences. Sometimes they have been allowed, but mostly not. Recently, we tried disassembling our Decathlon telescoping poles in three completely separate parts for the first time, making them shorter and they fit nicely inside our packs on the way home. They were still removed by a TSA worker, and I asked why, so he picked one section up and mimicked banging it over someone's head like a weapon to show me.

So true. I have had both experiences. Sometimes they have been allowed, but mostly not. Recently, we tried disassembling our Decathlon telescoping poles in three completely separate parts for the first time, making them shorter and they fit nicely inside our packs on the way home. They were still removed by a TSA worker, and I asked why, so he picked one section up and mimicked banging it over someone's head like a weapon to show me.
I think many people are successful in bringing them out of their country of origin. Has anyone successfully gotten them out through Spain?
There have been so many threads on this in the last two/ three years.
From everything I've heard and read it's automatic confiscation in Santiago!

Did he show you the pencil to the throat trick too?
I had one guy shortly after nine eleven that wanted to confiscate my nail clippers because of the nail file. I broke it off and handed it to him. He gave me a nasty look and gave me both pieces back..... .
I suppose I'm lucky he didn't have me escorted away for a strip search 😂

PS: pencil to the eye is scarier. .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Where were you stopped by a TSA worker on the way home? It must have been frustrating to have gotten so close and then to have the poles confiscated.
It was on the way home from Madrid, and yes it was disappointing. I thought I'd be fine because all pieces were disassembled.
I'd not flown out of Santiago, so they were not taken away at Lavacolla airport.
I once had a clear plastic knife confiscated from McDonald's, too.🙄

I think many people are successful in bringing them out of their country of origin. Has anyone successfully gotten them out through Spain?
Yes I have, I think twice, but not out of Lavacolla. I usually just leave them behind after my Caminos instead of giving them to "security personnel"...(Edited)
The walkers who use Black Diamond Z-poles have indicated they always get their poles through security in their backpacks.

Last edited:
It was on the way home from Madrid, and yes it was dissappointing. I thought I'd be fine because all pieces were disassembled.
I am now really confused. I thought that you said that they were confiscated by a TSA worker. I didn't realise that the TSA provided security at airports outside the US. Am I getting this completely wrong?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I am now really confused. I thought that you said that they were confiscated by a TSA worker. I didn't realise that the TSA provided security at airports outside the US. Am I getting this completely wrong?
Don't be confused, Doug; the problem is me. I'm not sure what Spain calls their airport security personnel as our bags pass through the x-ray machine.🤔
I have edited my above post to help avoid confusion.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.