• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles vs. walking stick

NoraF

Time of past OR future Camino
August/September 2013
Can anyone offer an opinion on using hiking poles or a walking stick ?
I recently spoke to a woman who walked the Camino last Fall and she spoke strongly in favour of a walking stick (which she purchased at SJPP) but I have noticed in photos many pilgrims using hiking poles. I am walking the Camino in August/September 2013. Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It depends mostly on how healthy your knees are. The purpose for the poles (a pair) is to alleviate the impact on your lower body -taking the load off your knees, legs and feet, they offer you extra support, and stability -especially when going down steep slopes. They also provide you with balance when you find yourself in uneven terrain or crossing running water. Another plus is that they can increase your speed when you are going down, down, down! The staff serves a more limited purpose, and works better for someone who has healthy knees and just needs it for balance mostly.
Hope this helps!

Buen Camino,

I walked with hiking poles last fall and really glad I did. I used the everyday. On flats on hills and on mountains. I was in good shape and walked from SJPP to SCC in 29 days, but thought they were a knee saver and also steadied me when tired. I talk about this on my blog as well as their equipment.

Dan
http://Www.danscaminotravels.wordpress.com

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The best advice I can think of is to try them both before you go, then stick with whichever one feels the best. I'm not really sure there's a "right" answer to your question--if it works, it's good!

I used one trekking pole, but my knees are generally strong and don't cause me trouble, so I don't really find two poles necessary. Some people say they feel "lopsided" without the symmetry of a pole in both hands. And if you have knee problems, the added support of two poles might help.

When I hiked the AT, I started with two poles thinking that's what "everyone" used and it was necessary. When it started raining, I put one away and started using an umbrella which is when I decided that I liked having the one hand free for other uses. Eventually, I just gave away my second pole. So if you aren't sure which fits your style better, you can always start with two and go down to one if that suits you better. It's a lot harder to find a good mate for one pole if you later decide you're a two-pole person, though. =)

-- Ryan

We both use a single wooden stick. Bought over-long and cut down to the correct length for us; ie arm at right angles to stick when holding it for walking. This gives a stick that is great for walking and long enough to reach forward/sideways for support on steep downhill sections or bank sides around mud. Spare rubbers are easier to buy in Spain than at home :)

Attachments

• stick length.jpg
    stick length.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 2,040
  • sticks.jpg
    sticks.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 2,020
MANY THANKS to all of you for the information, including photos, on hiking poles and walking sticks...much appreciated! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I've done a walking stick, regular trekking poles, and pacer poles.

In the end, I've decided to just pick up a stick on the Camino next time.
It really didn't make that much difference to me, except in perhaps two places, to have the trekking poles. And the hastle getting them onto flights makes it an item I can do without. Joe actually had his confiscated on one flight. It's just too much trouble for me.

The sticks are awesome and pilgrims have used them for centuries.
In the end, it's a matter of personal choice.
You can, by the way, pick up trekking poles in St. Jean Pied de Port quite cheaply.

For me, the 2-3% of the time when I would have like to have a pole was not worth carrying and keeping track of it for the rest of the time. I think that for many it more of a fashion accessory - "everyone has one"- than something that is really needed.

Just ordered an anti shock trekking pole online from EBay. It is a single pole, telescopic with a spring built in to cushion the impact. Cost was $10.28 incl shipping from Hong Kong. I thought it was worth trying it out before walking the camino

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1364313867.290976.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1364313867.290976.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 1,773
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am used to using anti-shock poles and will bring them with me. However, my wife will not use any pole at all. In the end, I think it is a personal choice and depends what you are comfortable with when you walk. But definitely trying them out before the coming can help make the decision.

I carried a pair of poles for most of the Camino Frances last year - I deployed them out of need for about an hour on each of 2 days out of a 45 day trip. They were useful for hanging my underwear and socks from when strapped to my pack as my laundry didn't drag in the mud when I swung the pack off at a rest-break. However, at nearly 750g they were a rather weighty washing line. That said, the beloved borrowed them when we walked Santiago - Muxia - Fisterra and thought them very beneficial.

As others have posted, you need to try these things out and find what suits you personally. I found poles cumbersome. I always seemed to need a hand for something else - a tissue, a water-bottle, a guidebook - and spent an absurd amount of time juggling, dropping, retrieving poles. And please remember I only played with the damn things for a couple of hours all-in.

I use trekking poles. I got a bad knee since many years and I'm not allowed to gain weight. If I do, my knee hurts. And when I put on my backpack it's almost + 6 kg at once. Ouch. But thanks to the trekking poles it's ok, as they take some of the weight off my knees. I can also walk much faster with the poles.
And, I remember when I came home after walking vdlp, my shoulders and arms looked fantastic. Big muscles, thanks to the poles. That's not bad. :wink:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi to all.
I am in early preparation stages for my camino May/June 2014. After much reading I have recently purchased a pair of Frizan poles- combined weight 316g- which I love. I had heard that poles can decrease the impact on your knees by up to 30% and after my first use I did notice a difference in lack of pain as well as a quicker recovery post walk. Now I am just up to 20Km in my training walks but I feel that anything that saves my knees even at 5% will be a valuable tool. I also found the rhythm of the poles oddly comforting.
I really enjoy all the comments on the forum and as each person is uniquely and beautifully different, equipment selection will always come down to personal choice.
Cheers!

Anniesantiago said:
And the hastle getting them onto flights makes it an item I can do without. Joe actually had his confiscated on one flight.

The TSA has recently relaxed rules about carrying things like golf clubs, small bats, billiard cues, ski poles, hockey sticks, and lacrosse sticks. It doesn't explicitly mention walking sticks or trekking poles--I've flown with them before and never had any issues with getting them through security, but I always considered it something of a grey area and just crossed my fingers hoping they wouldn't challenge it. (I was prepared to check the bag if I had to, though!)

But with these relaxed rules, I kind of doubt walking sticks and trekking poles will cause any problems at the security checkpoints now.

-- Ryan

Louise and I are using Nordic walking poles and using those little plastic feet on the hard surfaces to reduce any noise. We can take them off on softer ground especially downhill. We hadn't realised before joining the forum that the clicking would upset some people.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
the clicking would upset some people
Some people are upset by everything they do not do themselves...

A thin skin is not an asset on the Camino. :D

Hi, Ryan/Green Tortuga
You should check the other threads on this new TSA rule.

Here's one, and there are a few others: el-camino-frances/topic17089.html

In fact, I have carried my poles on the plane for many years through many airports in the US and have never had a problem when they were collapsed and with rubber tips on them.

The problem is if you make a transfer anyplace out of the US. If you transfer planes in London, for instance, you are vey likely to lose your poles. If you fly direct from US to Spain, you don't have to worry about it. But as others have pointed out, the Santiago airport is one that flat out doesn't let pilgrims carry on their poles when leaving.

I will fly US to Madrid in May. I will be transferring in Madrid to a flight to Valencia this year, and have decided I'm going to go back to my former practice of packing poles in a light duffel bag, and then mailing the duffel up to my Santiago hotel. I really hate to check the poles, because the airlines once lost them and it was a pain to have to rush to buy a new pair in Madrid, but I think there's a high chance that when I land in Madrid and transfer to a domestic flight, I will not be able to bring on the poles.

The never ending hiking pole saga....

falcon269 said:
the clicking would upset some people
Some people are upset by everything they do not do themselves...

A thin skin is not an asset on the Camino. :D

Well said! :lol:

Someone sniffed on an earlier post about the 'noise' poles make - I use walking poles for a variety of reasons, mostly to do with a bockety knee and a none too youthful set of hips. Being a solo traveller it also affords me a sense of security should any of the packs of wild dogs I first read about years ago, come after me. (Four times on the camino and no such encounter....yet!). They help me balance out the weight of my rucksack, and I find that a great help. However, I am also possessed of a modicum of common sense or basic manners, call it what you will, and when leaving a village / built up area early in the morning, do not use my poles until I am a bit out of earshot of those still blissfully sleeping. For added stealth, you can actually buy little rubber shoes for the pole tips, which takes the metallic click (so abhorrent to some people) down a couple of notches. Wishing all Camino walkers (with or without poles) perfect balance, soft tumbles if you fall, speedy recoveries for everything from bruised egos to bulbous blisters, plenty of laughter on your way, and a cold drink at the end of each day. Buen Camino,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
PeregrinaIR said:
However, I am also possessed of a modicum of common sense or basic manners, call it what you will, and when leaving a village / built up area early in the morning, do not use my poles until I am a bit out of earshot of those still blissfully sleeping.

I find it difficult to imagine that the sound would actually carry far enough to disturb anyone sleeping inside a building, unless they were sleeping next to an open window right on the street. Mind you, I never started walking so early that I thought there was anyone left sleeping following the other noises of the early risers.

Most read last week in this forum

**Update** I reached out to the developer and a fix is in! unistalled the app again, and reinstalled the new updated version, and it works like a charm again! Hi! I am 15 days out from my...
Greetings Fellow Pilgrims! I have more than a month to go until I leave on my first Camino, but couldn't resist getting my pack together already this weekend. My full backpack (Deuter 30 L) is...
Hi Guys This is just for info really; but if mods want to they can delete! For this May's Camino i have gone back to my Talon 33 (so much less stuff this time; in fact everything is in the top...
I am new on the forum, though I have followed it for years in anticipation of walking. Twice planned, twice cancelled. Once again, I have bought tickets and my daughter and I hope to walk del...
Hi, I start my Camino from Oviedo on Sunday the 23rd of June. I was hoping to buy some hiking poles from the Decathlon store, but it doesn’t seem to open on a Sunday, nor do the other hiking...
Hello beautiful community; I’m starting my camino in exactly 7 days (May 8 - June 21 = 45 days) I’ll be doing FRANCES + SALVADOR + PRIMITIVO . Here’s my final packing list (excluding basic...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.