Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hooked

larrycu

Jun 23, 2009
Alberta, Canada
Hello, I have just joined site. I walked Camino Portuguese this spring in May and want more. I am planning on the Via de la Plata for spring of 09. I am working on timing, thinking mid march for start. I need to find a current guide book for route.
I never started walking until I was 56 and now realize that it is never too late to start walking.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

peregrina nicole

RIP 2016
Jun 17, 2009
Scotland
Hello,

I too am hooked. I did the Frances last August. I am doing the Portugues this August (starting in Porto and hopefully, this time, ending up in Finesterre and Muxia). Interesting, I did the first four days of the Via de la Plata earlier on this month when I happened to be in Seville for a work thing. If you can understand written Spanish, an excellent guide book is La Via de La Plata a Pie y en Bicicleta: Monumentos, Paisajes, Albergues, Etapas. It is published by El Pais/Aguilar. It was published in 2008 and has a form of ring binding that will allow you (with a bit of effort) to detach the pages you need for the day so that the guide can stay in your pack and the pages you need in a pocket. It has good route maps and very useful info about where to stay.

A top tip for food on the Plata is, if you like pork, the secreto de cerdo iberico. This is a special cut of meat from the patanegra pigs you will see running around from day 3 on. The cut is from the shoulder and it is a marbled meat, so it has fat, but isn't fatty. Since the meat is from the patanegras, it has an amazing taste (i.e. it actually has flavour as opposed to the factory fed pork I can buy in my local supermarket in the UK). Normally is it cooked over a flame, so what you get is a thin cut of meat that is nicely seared on the outside but very juicy on in the inside and very tender. I have never ever heard of this cut of pork before the Via de la Plata. However, once we knew about it, we kept a look out for it in other parts of Spain (like Malaga).

I am glad that you liked the Portugues enough to come back for more. This bodes well for our trip along the Portugues. On the Via de la Plata, of the other 6 peregrinos I met, 5 had done the Frances (one 17 times). They all preferred the Frances as they said that there was more of a Camino spirit. If you haven't done the Frances, it might be a good idea to take the variant that goes to Astorga, where it joins onto the Frances (rather than the Ourense route). This way, you get a bit of both worlds. The guide book I mention above goes via Astorga and suggests 38 days for the entire trip (28 days to Astorga and 10 after). Looking at the stages to Astorga, I think that 28 days is about right. The days are long and there are not that many places where you can put two stages together without feeling very sorry for yourself on arrival. Once in Astorga, the towns are closer together, so it is much easier to nibble away at the 10 days they suggest. It took us 7 days to get from Astorga to Santiago (and we started the last day in Monte Gozo, just to have a nice wee walk to finish things off and arrive in Santiago in plenty of time to get the compostella, make the noon mass and find a place to stay).

Most read last week in this forum

Hello everyone, I’m about to embark on my first Camino this month in a week or so. I had plans to go with a friend but it fell through so now I’m visiting a friend in France until I work up the...
Apologies if this topic has been covered before. I’m interested in the earliest/recommended date someone can reserve the following services: 1) flights 2) inter-city buses 3) train (e.g...
I have a bad knee and have to be very careful about walking both up and down hills, mostly down, would the Central route be much different than the Litoral route? Where is the last place to change...
Hello all fellow pilgrims! To celebrate my 70th birthday I'll be following the Frances path from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela. Really excited abut the journey for me starting...
Good evening all! We began our yearly route to Santiago, today! We 4 Peregrinos resumed our Camino at Rabanal del Camino and walked to Acebo. We encountered Snow, Hail Stones and rain. We loved...
Hi Camino Family, I am travelling from Australia to start the Le Puy Camino May 27th 2024. If there is anyone else planning on walking around this time, it would be great to connect. I speak...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides