• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How far do you have to travel for a Compostela if starting in Porto?

mvanert

Time of past OR future Camino
2014, 2016, 2018, 2024
Due to an injured knee, I'm thinking of cycling from Porto to Santiago this coming June, what is the qualifying distance to get a Compostela?

Thanks in advance!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The same distance rules apply on any route - minimum of 200km for cyclists and 100km for walkers. With at least two sellos per day on your credencial as evidence.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Due to an injured knee, I'm thinking of cycling from Porto to Santiago this coming June, what is the qualifying distance to get a Compostela?

Thanks in advance!
You must EITHER walk the FINAL 100 km into Santiago if walking. Or, the FINAL 200 km into Santiago, if bicycling.

Porto is 250 - 260 km from Santiago, using the central route.

If cycling, start from the northern edge of Porto to be safer on the bicycle. If walking, your last starting place is either Valencia in Portugal, or Tui in Spain.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Perfect! Thanks for the quick reply.
mvanert please be aware the 100k walking rule is literally 100k out of Santiago de Compostela. 100k from Porto does not qualify. You could walk from Vigo or Valenca/Tui to qualify.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I rode from Porto last year and had no issue getting my credential. If you start at the old cathedral in Porto, which is beautiful, you can walk part of the camino path through the warren of little alleys or ride the sometimes sketchy roadway out of town. I rode the streetcar tracks out of town and then along the coast. As @t2andreo mentioned, it is safer and more enjoyable once you get to the north part of town.
There are a couple of knee challenging spots, which is to be expected, but nothing too long or difficult and there are alternate routes that you can take which might be more gentle.
I had no problem with lodging, by the way, other than when a festival came to town. And one of the benefits of cycling is that when all albergues or hotels are full, that additional 5K to the next spot is possible, even if difficult and unwelcome.
The downside of cycling it is that the experience is over too soon. Next time I'll start in Lisbon or Barcelona. More solitude and contemplation, please!
Do equip your bike with a bell and slow down and enjoy the journey. I didn't have any issues with walking pilgrims, but occasionally felt it best to ride a parallel road on the bike lane, especially after Tui.
Oh, and I recommend enjoying a pastel de Nata as often as possible. You leave Portugal far too quickly.
It is a beautiful route and may your pilgrimage be exactly what you need. Bom Caminho!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back