• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Unconventional route in Picos de Europa - Sellos possible?

JifMoose

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo
I plan to cycle a bit of an unconventional route, from Santander but cutting south through the Picos de Europa mountains (I'm a glutton for punishment), and only partially overlapping with the Camino Primitivo/Norte. I'll be camping most of the time and will carry all my stuff with me unsupported - I'll end up in Santiago as my final destination (will probably come in around the coast from A Cronuna visiting Finisterre first).

I have a Credencial, but arguably it's questionable whether this is truly a Camino (I'm in two minds whether I'll collect the Compostella at the end). My question is - I'll often be in pretty remote areas away from the standard routes, and will sometimes be away from civilization for a couple of days if e.g. I need to wild camp. Would small towns, bar, campsites in the Picos de Europa have Sellos to stamp? I'm thinking places like Potes or Sortres?

I would like to stay in an albergues or two later on, and I suspect I won't even have one stamp a day (to stop the bike, secure it, get off, go into a bar and order a drink with the possibility they won't have a stamp might be onorous and I suspect I'll get out the habit, specially if I need to get a move on). How strict are albergues on having a trail of stamps for every day? It should hopefully be obvious I'm travelling under my own effort, I will look very tired and bedraggled I'm sure 😀

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
JifMoose,
Welcome to the forum.

Almose everyplace in Spain has a stamp. See more in this earlier thread.

Have you biked and camped before?
Would not all that gear make a very heavy load?

Wherevrr/however you do go stay safe and Carpe diem.

Last edited:
places like Potes
Potes is actually on a camino - the Lebaniego/Vadiniense, so you can definitely get a stamp there. You might want to check out that route and see if it is close to where you are going. Watch out for motorbikes, by the way, big ones. A lot of the UK biking fraternity regard the Picos as a kind of playground. You can get a stamp in your credencial from anywhere, it doesn´t have to be ´official´ (whatever that means): the pilgrim office just want to know you were in a particular place, i.e. town, at a particular time.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Potes is actually on a camino - the Lebaniego/Vadiniense, so you can definitely get a stamp there. You might want to check out that route and see if it is close to where you are going. Watch out for motorbikes, by the way, big ones. A lot of the UK biking fraternity regard the Picos as a kind of playground. You can get a stamp in your credencial from anywhere, it doesn´t have to be ´official´ (whatever that means): the pilgrim office just want to know you were in a particular place, i.e. town, at a particular time.
More on that route here:

Walking on less travelled routes in France if a stamp isn't available it is common enough to get someone in a 'business' to write in the name, address and sign it. Some even added a small doodle. And being off route isn't generally an issue until the last 100km.
But I have stamps from lots of random places - town halls, libraries, bars, fruit shop, ferry, hairdresser, bakeries, school, garage, campsites. In fact in my current credential from walking through France most stamps are from business and mairies (town hall) and very few "official" compostelle ones- I got an apology in the tourist office in Seignosse that they didn't have a proper stamp for the compostelle route just a business stamp.
So don't worry too much!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Brilliant, thanks for all the replies - I had no idea Potes was on the Lebaniego/Vadiniense camino, that's very useful information. Looks like it's worth a try getting at least one a day.

Ah, I'm a bit of a veteran camping bike tourer - have crossed Austria, the Czech republic and Sweden like this in recent years. Many folks these days will call it "bikepacking", and the kit has got very light and transportable over the years, but I still use a pannier setup. I like the self-sufficiency and backup of having a tent - but will doubtless crave more solid shelter at some point in the tour!

Thanks for the tip on motorcyclists. There are several 4x4 tracks crossing the picos which - according to the local mountain biking fraternity - are quite rideable, so being being off-road should get me away from the traffic. I'm always conscious there only being limited roads in mountains valleys, funneling all the traffic onto one route though.

If you are heading out of Santander to the North East, Fromista is also a major crossing point that is on the Camino Frances.

It could be possible to use the Camino Vadiniense y Lebaniego as part of your journey, if you are also heading near Ponferrada then you could take the spur onto the Camino Invierno which has a challenging ascent/descent road route and is far more photogenic than the last section of the Camino Frances.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks - yep, makes sense. Bit of an aside, but for curiosity's sake - presumably that starts within 200km radius of Santiago (rather than the last 200km of your journey)? This could apply to me as (for not very interesting logistic reasons) I'll probably bypass Santiago to the north, ride down to Fisterra, and then finish in Santiago approaching from the west!

This means I'll ride rather further than 200km around A Coruna, but I guess I need to start counting from 200km from Santiago as the crow flies?

We cannot guarantee how your journey will be viewed at the Pilgrims Office. The wording on their website does not cover every situation, and some discretion is exercised at the office. I can't find the wording, but there has been talk on the forum about having to follow a "recognized route", which may rule yours out.

To maximum your chances of qualifying for a compostela and being admitted to certain albergues, try to get 2 stamps/day. If you can't, well, you can still present your case, but don't be surprised if the answer isn't what you hoped for. Good luck!

Thanks - yep, makes sense. Bit of an aside, but for curiosity's sake - presumably that starts within 200km radius of Santiago (rather than the last 200km of your journey)? This could apply to me as (for not very interesting logistic reasons) I'll probably bypass Santiago to the north, ride down to Fisterra, and then finish in Santiago approaching from the west!

This means I'll ride rather further than 200km around A Coruna, but I guess I need to start counting from 200km from Santiago as the crow flies?
Not as the crow flies. As the bike rolls. I wouldn't be surprised if the bike pilgrim folks have nailed down the 200km towns in the same way the walkers have all figured out the 100km towns.
BC
edited to clarify.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, We are a bit concerned about being able to get accomodation as we are cycling the CDN this May/June. I read that pilgrims on foot get priority up to 8pm. We are aiming to arrive each day...
Hi all I am considering cycling the coastal route but wondered if any / many albergues have minimum cycling distances. Eg do I have to ride a minimum amount per day to be able to stay in an...
Hello! I just finished my first walk on El Camino, from Sarria to Santiago, and had a great time watching all of the bikepackers zoom by on the trail. So much so that I've had a sudden interest...
To CF bicigrinos who cycled from SJPP to Roncesvales, via the Napoleon route (over the Pyrenees): 1) how long did it take you? 2) approximate % of time you pushed bike up the Pyrenees? 3) what...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back