• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hurricane Harvey - Prayers for members from SE Texas

Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
For all Forum members from SE Texas right now, whether you're home and in harm's way, or walking the Camino somewhere and worried sick about home...please know you are in our hearts and prayers now and in the next days.
We may be from different countries, and maybe we have different political views, or different ideas about religion, trekking poles, pilgrimage, or boots...but when the chips are down, it doesn't matter one iota.
We are camino family.
May you (and everyone) in the path of the hurricane be safe and protected from harm.
Please take care of each other, and stay safe.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For all Forum members from SE Texas right now, whether you're home and in harm's way, or walking the Camino somewhere and worried sick about home...please know you are in our hearts and prayers now and in the next days.
We may be from different countries, and maybe we have different political views, or different ideas about religion, trekking poles, pilgrimage, or boots...but when the chips are down, it doesn't matter one iota.
We are camino family.
May you (and everyone) in the path of the hurricane be safe and protected from harm.
Please take care of each other, and stay safe.
Landfall was overnight 25/26 August at Rockport, Texas, just northeast of Corpus Christi. The strength at landfall was Category 4 (130 mph/210 kph). Heavy inland rainfall of up to 40 inches/100 cm is expected over the next few days, with severe flooding. Our prayers are with family and friends in the area, and for those now on the Camino who are from the Texas coast.

Jim (expat Texan now in Colorado)

All is well in Dallas - the rain has just started. We appreciate the prayers and good thoughts - lots of people (my friends and family included) will be dealing flooding and heavy rains over the next 3 days.
Hang in there Gulf Shores Peregrinos!

We dodged a huge bullet as the storm moved north 40 miles or so to landfall in Port Aransas and Rockport.
Very high winds scoured the cities as well as disrupting utilities.
We got apprx..well it depends who you ask..winds.
Not the rain at all..

Our fellow Pilgrims in the Houston area are being pulled over the rack right now with 500 year rainfall. Ex? 13.5" in 3 hrs...and more to come as the storm,has stalled.
NE Texas is being slow wrecked an we can only watch.

I have friends and family there

Some estimates were over a meter of water to fall.

This will go on until weds at some point.
This is a force of nature that flexed its muscles.

Be safe out there Pilgrims.
If there are any Prayers for this...

Our hearts are strong
Our backs stout
And our spirits uncrushed

But a hard time has come and a person trembles sometimes .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is heartbreaking watching my second city being inundated
Here un Corpus Christi we are wind blown right now at 23:36 local time but no rain.
I know there are pilgrims in the area and Texas and some are under the gun right now.beside wind, rain and tornados..looting is sporadic and breaking out..the dark side of human nature is showing.

The storm passed north and devastated 2 larger community's...

But were not helpless..Louisiana is sending her good sons and daughters to aid as we speak...
The world has not broken down
People are looking on and nodding...
We got this..is the word

The very best along side the worst
Millions of prayers are on flights of angels heading this way

Pilgrim on the way
Call home and let your beliveds hear your voice
Walk in strength knowing Santiago is watching over you
Over there..and here
Through the scudding clouds its dark enough to see the river of stars
Some where..east over the horizon from here,someone is looking west at that same river..and behind them,further east is another
Until its back to here in this world wide confronternity of man
And so i have hope

You guys up north in this still happening situation be assured...we are thinking of you here,praying for your safety and will kneel before Santiagos feet in thanks someday at his house

Be ever so blessed in these times of trouble Pilgrim

I know we usually focus on Camino issues but please say prayer for the folks from Texas and Louisiana as they endure more than one meter of rainfall and epic flooding.

North Texan checking in again. I am sure you can read some of this in the news, but this is what we know from our proximity to all the boots on the ground. I live in Dallas which is 220 miles from Houston and about 410 from Corpus, where the hurricane made landfall.

Parts of the Texas coast are beginning to dry out and people are returning to their homes. We have friends in shelters, those that had to be rescued with helicopters, boats, or large trucks. Some friends are returning to severally damaged homes, some friends are still sheltering in northern cities like Dallas. We are thankful for their safety, but I think the weight of the losses they have suffered are just now setting in. It's going to be a long road.

Inversely, new areas began to flood yesterday and the recuse efforts shifted to the north east. I have friends in those areas (a group of 20 current and former law enforcement from my old department) running boat recuses and coordinating with the local Emergency Operations command. They are wet and exhausted - sleeping on the floor of a plumbing business last night - but they are still going strong. The stories they are telling and posting through Facebook Live are terrifying but bring hope. We see lots of private citizens and business owners stepping up to help in creative and amazing ways. In one video we saw a private construction company driving around in their dump trucks with ladders attached. These trucks can drive into severely flooded areas and people are swimming/wadding over and climbing up the ladders to safety. They are finding people who have been stranded with little or no food and water since Saturday or Sunday. I am encouraged so many people have made it out alive.

Texas can feel very politically and culturally divided. One of the reasons I love the Camino community is because I feel like people lead with compassion, and generosity is second nature. In these times, I have seen the same, with great urgency and selflessness. I read this morning that the city is having turn away volunteers and reallocate donations to smaller cities because the response has been overwhelming - they have too much help in some places. Amazing. People can be amazing. If there is one upside to this disaster, it is the sense of community and kindness.

We'll take it.

Thoughts, prayers, and good vibes of any kind are welcome.

Leah

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...
Hi! I just want to know if anyone had any success (or trouble conversely on that matter) using your Visa Debit Card with 6-digit PIN when withdrawing Euros in ATMs in France and Spain? Just want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.