• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I made a towel!

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I saw a post on here about using muslin for a travel towel.

I had some lightweight muslin laying around, so yesterday I cut it to the size of a bath towel and hemmed it. I embroidered my name on the edge. I made one for Joe also.

Last night Joe used his after his shower.
He said it absorbed the water brilliantly.
He hung it outside and it dried within about 20 minutes.

This was a great idea! It's not only VERY lightweight, but it is large enough to wrap around like a sarong.

You can see photos on my blog.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Annie,

I have some single bed sheets that I bought for some project or other and now are just laying around because I don't have a bed to fit them. I was thinking of cutting one of them up and making my own 'towel'. Do you think this would work?

Well, I don't know. The muslin is really absorbent and very lightweight. It is a little heavier than the kitchen sized terry towels I usually take, but I like it because it's larger. I'm not sure about sheeting fabric. It can be heavy. Maybe if it's old and threadbare? I'd say try drying after a shower with it and if it works, then use it?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Interesting. I was just wondering what to do about a towel because I thought my current one was too heavy and the lightweight ones are ridiculously expensive.

Where do you acquire 'muslin'? Not entirely sure what it is. A fabric I can buy at Hobby Lobby or Micheal's? Did you sew two pieces together? It said you 'hemmed' it but I'm not entirely sure what that means lol.

you can buy muslin at a fabric store. hemming is sewing the cut edge so it doesn't fray. If you're sewing-needle-impaired, you can buy hem tape at said fabric store that you can use with an iron to hem it so it won't fray. :) If you are unable to use either a sewing needle or an iron, I don't know what to tell ya! :)

vagabondette said:
you can buy muslin at a fabric store. hemming is sewing the cut edge so it doesn't fray. If you're sewing-needle-impaired, you can buy hem tape at said fabric store that you can use with an iron to hem it so it won't fray. :) If you are unable to use either a sewing needle or an iron, I don't know what to tell ya! :)

Get someone else to do it for you....... :D :lol:

My huge bit of muslin was fantastic, dried so quickly never go a chance to smell :mrgreen:

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I know they used to make muslin sheets but they were heavier than the percale that most sheets are made of now. I will have to go to JoAnn's and see what they have to compare.

Hmm, I wonder if it is anything like the material that they make these thin bar towels from? I got the towels at Walmart and decorated them for Christmas presents last year.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-dBOG ... G_7741.JPG

Went and had a look today. Is Muslin supposed to be a very thin material? If I put my hand under it (and thus my body would do the same), you could see right through it.

I just made a muslin towel which I´m going to use as a sun cover up , scarf or pillowcase if needed. It's very lightweight and airy, ideal for my summer camino .To reduce transparency, dye it in dark blue, or some other dark color :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is quite thin and after the first machine washing to get the stabilizer out it is very absorbent. Mine is working great!

Most read last week in this forum

I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
So I have heard common wisdom is to bring a silk liner for your Camino (+/- a sleeping bag depending on your preference and season). Specifically regarding silk liners, all of the ones I've...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Hi! I am 15 days out from my Camino, and suddenly my Buen Camino app is crashing every time I try to look at my stages! I have rebooted my phone, done the "restore app" within the app, rebooted...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.