• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In Ponte De Lima stay away from this place!!

• Thread starter Deleted member 43780
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 43780

Recently when walking the Portuguese, I pulled my calf muscle. So decided to take a two or three day break. Walked into Ponte De Lima limping.

Saw in Camino book place called Pizzaria Barie Beria, Passeio 25 April, in Ponte De Lima. They rent rooms above the pizza place. At first seemed to be ok. Place is on the river front.

No hot water ALL day long. Complained to the owner. She acted like did not care. Had a shared bathroom in hall way. No T-paper! Never! Again complained.

Room was on second floor. The TV in the pizza place was turned up full blast for hours after the place closed. Went down stairs to complain. They were cleaning the kitchen and making sauce etc. Again, fell on deft ears. They did nothing!

I asked for the complaint book. Was told "there is none. You don't like it here, leave."
I know this was a lie. Every establishment that rents a room in Spain and Portugal must have such a complaint book. She did not want me to make a official complaint.

Having grown up in Spain and now living in Seville, I am aware that some places may cut the hot water heater off during certain hours of the day. But always turn it back on for night/morning shower.
A good place will have written notice posted to this policy. Or tell you when you sign in.

This place was 30 euro per night. Room was also dirty.

Third morning I left. Knowing management, the owner, is such a witch I took photos of the room, bath room, hall way etc. To show I did nothing wrong.

No matter what...DO NOT STAY IN THIS PLACE. You will be sorry. Be it tourist, walker or others, DO NOT stay here.

I am sending a written letter of complaint to the City. Sure it will be trashed.

On a positive note, I stayed in some very nice Alburges. Especially noted was Casa Laura.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Recently when walking the Portuguese, I pulled my calf muscle. So decided to take a two or three day break. Walked into Ponte De Lima limping.

Saw in Camino book place called Pizzaria Barie Beria, Passeio 25 April, in Ponte De Lima. They rent rooms above the pizza place. At first seemed to be ok. Place is on the river front.

No hot water ALL day long. Complained to the owner. She acted like did not care. Had a shared bathroom in hall way. No T-paper! Never! Again complained.

Room was on second floor. The TV in the pizza place was turned up full blast for hours after the place closed. Went down stairs to complain. They were cleaning the kitchen and making sauce etc. Again, fell on deft ears. They did nothing!

I asked for the complaint book. Was told "there is none. You don't like it here, leave."
I know this was a lie. Every establishment that rents a room in Spain and Portugal must have such a complaint book. She did not want me to make a official complaint.

Having grown up in Spain and now living in Seville, I am aware that some places may cut the hot water heater off during certain hours of the day. But always turn it back on for night/morning shower.
A good place will have written notice posted to this policy. Or tell you when you sign in.

This place was 30 euro per night. Room was also dirty.

Third morning I left. Knowing management, the owner, is such a witch I took photos of the room, bath room, hall way etc. To show I did nothing wrong.

No matter what...DO NOT STAY IN THIS PLACE. You will be sorry. Be it tourist, walker or others, DO NOT stay here.

I am sending a written letter of complaint to the City. Sure it will be trashed.

On a positive note, I stayed in some very nice Alburges. Especially noted was Casa Laura.

Wow, stayed at the Pizzaria Baria Beria just three weeks ago and we had just the opposite experience. Our room was on the third floor with a private bath for 30€. The room and bath were both clean with plenty of toilet paper and hot water. The view from our room of the bridge was tremendous. Further, the service from the reception was attentive and the staff was very friendly. We arrived in time for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed sitting on the terrace enjoying excellent pizza. Even with our window open, there was no extraordinary noise from the pizzaria.

I don't dispute your experience, but it sounds night and day different from the one we had there. I'd recommend staying there and would look forward to a return visit were I to overnight again in Ponte de Lima. We had no complaints about the place, the staff, or the service we received. Sorry you didn't have a similar experience.

With much surprise I read comments by Willy51. My experience was nothing like that.

I was the only person staying there. Possibly they just let things go. But never the less, still paid 30Euro / night and there are expectations of what should be provided and expected.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am glad Willy51 had a good experience.

I feel fully justified in issuing a warning to other walkers about that place.

Only reason I stayed there was I needed a few days of rest. To help heal my leg.

By the way, the ladies in the pharmacy and the TI office were great. Very helpful. Actually Ponte De Lima is a nice city to visit.

I stayed there on March 29. My experience was the same as Willy's. Everyone was kind and attentive. We had our choice of rooms and chose a riverview room with bath across the hall, plenty of hot water in the afternoon when we needed it. We were the only guests. I would recommend it.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back