• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any recommendations of places to stay in Rubiaes?

Time of past OR future Camino
September, 2023; walking 13 days total.
Hi,

I've been looking for quite some time today and can't find a good option to stay in Rubiaes. There is a place called Quinta das Leiras but it's booked for our date in September. There are villas/houses in the distance but it may be quite a ways away from town.

I see from a previous post a mention of a place called Quinta de S. Roque, but no recent posts so I don't know if they are open; has anyone stayed there recently?

So just looking for suggestions of any places that are open. I try to book private rooms if an albergue or guesthouses as I'm a very light sleeper. Also, how do most of you find lodgings in general? I use Google and often booking.com but some smaller towns are very hard to google anything. Gronze comes up in Spanish for me and there isn't much info available. I'm using guide books but hard to find the names of lodgings in Brierley, at least for me!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I've stayed in Rubiāes a couple of times.
Both times in Albergue Ninho with Marlene, she's a good host.
Quirky, rustic, cosy place.. I'm not sure if she has a private room or two but last time was during covid and I managed to get a room to myself..

I've stayed in Rubiāes a couple of times.
Both times in Albergue Ninho with Marlene, she's a good host.
Quirky, rustic, cosy place.. I'm not sure if she has a private room or two but last time was during covid and I managed to get a room to myself..
Ok, thank you; I will check that out!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Gronze comes up in Spanish for me and there isn't much info available.
Gronze comes up in Spanish for everyone. Nonetheless it’s probably the most comprehensive source of accommodation information on most Camino routes. Google Chrome, and most browsers, will translate for you. Beware of literal translation of place-names.
Gronze shows three possibilities https://www.gronze.com/etapa/ponte-lima/rubiaes

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Gronze comes up in Spanish for everyone. Nonetheless it’s probably the most comprehensive source of accommodation information on most Camino routes. Google Chrome, and most browsers, will translate for you. Beware of literal translation of place-names.
Gronze shows three possibilities https://www.gronze.com/etapa/ponte-lima/rubiaes
Awesome, thank you so much! I'm going to start using Gronze; much better than Google!

Oh cool!! I thought I had their FB page but must have been on the wrong one! I will call in the morning, thank you!
Ninho is also called Pilgrims Nest and it is open. I stayed there in April. They do a really nice communal dinner for 10 euro which is great because there is only one restaurant 1/2 mile down the road. I loved the communal dinner at Ninho!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There really isn’t a “town” in Rubiães, so don’t worry about being “too far” from it! 😂.

Also look at places in São Roque. I stayed in a private room at Residencial Repouso do Peregrino. They will shuttle you to a restaurant for dinner, and breakfast was included.

Last edited:
Hi,

I've been looking for quite some time today and can't find a good option to stay in Rubiaes. There is a place called Quinta das Leiras but it's booked for our date in September. There are villas/houses in the distance but it may be quite a ways away from town.

I see from a previous post a mention of a place called Quinta de S. Roque, but no recent posts so I don't know if they are open; has anyone stayed there recently?

So just looking for suggestions of any places that are open. I try to book private rooms if an albergue or guesthouses as I'm a very light sleeper. Also, how do most of you find lodgings in general? I use Google and often booking.com but some smaller towns are very hard to google anything. Gronze comes up in Spanish for me and there isn't much info available. I'm using guide books but hard to find the names of lodgings in Brierley, at least for me!
In case it hasn't been mentioned, if you use one of the Chrome based browsers, you can use google translate to translate the page...Comilla got translated as Semicolon, IIRC, but it does help folks that have no, zero, none Spanish vocabulary.
We stayed in the albergue at Rubiaes, there were regular beds instead of bunks, and the only wifi (in 2015) was in the restaurant.
BC

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I definitely recommend O Ninho
One of my favourite stops, full of character and quirky historical artifacts. Great garden. You can pay for a community dinner which is a great way to meet other pilgrims. Do stay there if you can.

Hi,

Hiya. Yes if you try Ninho hostel it's fabulous. Worth giving Marlene a call as she does indeed have private rooms. We were a family of four last time and she gave us a private family room in her house with a separate kitchen. Also she has a self contained one bedroom apartment with patio which was very reasonable the time before that. A wonderful host, so much so that my daughter is going there next week to volunteer for a month. Regards Daniel

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi,

P.s I always use Gronze for accommodations and this site has a few accommodations on it that you haven't mentioned so maybe worth a try. If you Google Camino portuguese gronze and click on the stages they have all the accommodations for each stage. Again, Daniel

Ninho is also called Pilgrims Nest and it is open. I stayed there in April. They do a really nice communal dinner for 10 euro which is great because there is only one restaurant 1/2 mile down the road. I loved the communal dinner at Ninho!
Awesome! I booked there today thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In case it hasn't been mentioned, if you use one of the Chrome based browsers, you can use google translate to translate the page...Comilla got translated as Semicolon, IIRC, but it does help folks that have no, zero, none Spanish vocabulary.
We stayed in the albergue at Rubiaes, there were regular beds instead of bunks, and the only wifi (in 2015) was in the restaurant.
BC
Thank you! Yes, I've been using Google translate a lot...so helpful!

€46,-
Hiya. Yes if you try Ninho hostel it's fabulous. Worth giving Marlene a call as she does indeed have private rooms. We were a family of four last time and she gave us a private family room in her house with a separate kitchen. Also she has a self contained one bedroom apartment with patio which was very reasonable the time before that. A wonderful host, so much so that my daughter is going there next week to volunteer for a month. Regards Daniel
Oh my gosh, that is so cool your daughter is going there to volunteer!! Yes, she was very kind and gave my husband and I a private room. I've very excited to stay there!

P.s I always use Gronze for accommodations and this site has a few accommodations on it that you haven't mentioned so maybe worth a try. If you Google Camino portuguese gronze and click on the stages they have all the accommodations for each stage. Again, Daniel
Thank you! Yes, I started to use it today. Talks a little bit to figure it out but so worth it! A very valuable resource indeed!

Oh my gosh, that is so cool your daughter is going there to volunteer!! Yes, she was very kind and gave my husband and I a private room. I've very excited to stay there!
It is cool indeed. P.s. when are you going on this Camino or are you there already. My wife and I will be completing her first Camino from Valenca on the 30th of this month. If you have the time spend a rest day in Caldas de rei. Most beautiful waterfalls and trails off Camino just outside the town and another on the way into Caldas.

Attachments

• 20220513_161649.jpg
    20220513_161649.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220513_155115.jpg
    20220513_155115.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 20220513_154957.jpg
    20220513_154957.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 6
  • 20220513_095553.jpg
    20220513_095553.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 6
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It is cool indeed. P.s. when are you going on this Camino or are you there already. My wife and I will be completing her first Camino from Valenca on the 30th of this month. If you have the time spend a rest day in Caldas de rei. Most beautiful waterfalls and trails off Camino just outside the town and another on the way into Caldas.
We leave September 5th. Oh, thank you! sounds wonderful! So they are just outside Rubiaes? I googled it and it said near Santiago but I'll have to look on Google maps; sounds lovely!

We leave September 5th. Oh, thank you! sounds wonderful! So they are just outside Rubiaes? I googled it and it said near Santiago but I'll have to look on Google maps; sounds lovely!
They are near Caldas de rei. 2 stages before Santiago. Nice little town with lots of albergues/ hostels and restaurants. It also has a Bamboo garden full of the rare Black bamboo and Hot springs. We have booked 2 nights there for these reasons. It was one of my favourite memories when I did this Camino last year. Anyhow have a great Camino. Daniel

Attachments

• IMG-20220518-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20220518-WA0006.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 7

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back