Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In the early stages of planning for the Primitivo

clearskiescamino

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Too many to mention...
Hi folks
I am literally a week back from walking a stretch of the Camino Frances and the bug won't go away :)
I hope to walk the Camino Primitivo in May next from Oviedo.

I have a question. Is it possible to walk to Santiago from Oviedo in 11 or 12 days. I tend to walk 25km per day but an easy day would be great, if possible!

Thanks a mil
David

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks guys
12 days seems feasible. I'm on the hunt for a guide now. Planning seems to be the most entertaining part of the Camino :)

I've used gronze for the CF, and it is excellent. I think I may get by with an online guide. I've found an answer to my question in another post here, which proves I must search for an answer before posting a new question haha! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks guys
12 days seems feasible. I'm on the hunt for a guide now. Planning seems to be the most entertaining part of the Camino :)
The Gronze guide is the best on-line guide IMO. We took the CSJ guide (Caminos del norte F - Camino Primitivo) and wrote in some of the info from Gronze. The CSJ guide is very good and gives helpful notes about accomodation, bars etc as well as fairly detailed notes and directions, with bad weather alternatives, which are very helpful if it is hard to see the arrows for any reason. [At the time of posting the CSJ bookshop is still down, but can be viewed and orders phoned in or e-mailed]. Using the 2 together will help plan your own stages as well as seeing where the accomodation dictates a stage. Expect some cold weather in May and plan to dress in layers as it can start cold and finish up warm before chilling off again towards evening.
Buen Camino

Can be done in 12 days, we averaged 27 KM's a day BUT 14 allows for a great, and much needed rest day in Lugo, an outstanding city! One year ago today we finshed the Primitivo.......LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT! Buen Camino!

Thanks for the info guys :)
I've a few more months to go yet but no time like the present to get the planning started.
I hope the Camino Frances will forgive me for not visiting it next year haha! :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At the time of posting the CSJ bookshop is still down, but can be viewed and orders phoned in or e-mailed
I can attest to that. I ordered the CSJ guide to the Primitivo last week via email. Received it the next day!

Gronze is good. The CSJ guide also looked good. In comparing the CSJ guide for the Primitivo to the one for the Frances, however, I thought the primitivo did not seem as complete. After looking at many online resources, I also think the eroski site is quite good. Liz

Gronze is good. The CSJ guide also looked good. In comparing the CSJ guide for the Primitivo to the one for the Frances, however, I thought the primitivo did not seem as complete. After looking at many online resources, I also think the eroski site is quite good. Liz
That surprises me, I thought the Primitivo CSJ guide was clearer than the one for the Francés, although some of the updates available online were still to be added to the updated printed version. This was 2012.
We like the Gronze elevations best, one of the other sites has some serious errors in placing villages on the elevations.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
That surprises me, I thought the Primitivo CSJ guide was clearer than the one for the Francés, although some of the updates available online were still to be added to the updated printed version. This was 2012.
We like the Gronze elevations best, one of the other sites has some serious errors in placing villages on the elevations.

Hi Tia -- One of the things I loved about the CSJ guide to the Frances was that it seemed to have the most reliable info about whether albergues had kitchens. When we walked all the folks who were cooking wanted to use our CSJ guide to double check on this. When I looked at the CSJ primitivo guide it didn't seem to have this info for many of the albergues. It will be interesting to see what we think when we actually walk next June. I just got a post from a Czech woman who used my guide I put together from Gronze, CSJ and Eroski and who is going to send info about the albergues she stayed in. I sure hope she does!

I totally agree with you about the Gronze evaluations. But they seem to take a little longer to update the site and there appear to be more albergue listings on Eroski. Again it will be interesting to see what we think after June!

Liz

Hi all

I just returned form the Primitivo, Oviedo to Santiago in 11 days, with the last day into Santiago being the longest at about 42 km, which was my similar last day last year on the Frances. The average walking day will vary according to your capabilities and desires but also the services available. Doing the Hospitales route is a long day with limited services in the first available town, Berducedo- when I was there, all available beds were full, municipal and public albergue as well as pension above the bar. It appeared to be very busy this year and several people book the private albergues ahead of time to ensure a space. I do not and things work out anyway. We did walk an additional 6 km to As Seixas on day, since Albergue Ponte Ferreira was fully booked. The public albergue in As Seixas is very new and comfortable. There are no stores in town but a grocery truck comes around 4pm and has enough products for you to cook your own dinner if you wish. The restaurant in the village does not have a Menu del Dia and all items are individually priced so you might want to ask prior (we got a surprising bill, compared to other places before!). I think there are more services being developed also due to the rising interest. Interestingly, the 1st international congress on tourism and pilgrimage was held in Santiago de Compostela last week.

A word of caution about Sundays...small towns may not have bar services as they close on domingo (Sunday). Some of the grocery stores may not be open or have limited hours, closing at 2pm for the day.

Enjoy experiencing what is right for you in your journey.

Hi folks
I am literally a week back from walking a stretch of the Camino Frances and the bug won't go away :)
I hope to walk the Camino Primitivo in May next from Oviedo.

I have a question. Is it possible to walk to Santiago from Oviedo in 11 or 12 days. I tend to walk 25km per day but an easy day would be great, if possible!

Thanks a mil
David
I'm planning the Primitivo in May as well so all info learned would be greatly appreciated from this thread!
Buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Tia -- One of the things I loved about the CSJ guide to the Frances was that it seemed to have the most reliable info about whether albergues had kitchens. When we walked all the folks who were cooking wanted to use our CSJ guide to double check on this. When I looked at the CSJ primitivo guide it didn't seem to have this info for many of the albergues. It will be interesting to see what we think when we actually walk next June. I just got a post from a Czech woman who used my guide I put together from Gronze, CSJ and Eroski and who is going to send info about the albergues she stayed in. I sure hope she does!

I totally agree with you about the Gronze evaluations. But they seem to take a little longer to update the site and there appear to be more albergue listings on Eroski. Again it will be interesting to see what we think after June!

Liz
The combined listing is very helpful and you must have put a lot of work into it, but we still like the more detailed guides which tell us where the route goes, possible diversions etc. rather than just relying on the arrows/mojones. The advice about walking the road in bad weather and even where turnings are can be needed, as well as extra bookable accommodation with phone numbers.

The various guides all depend on update input from folk who have walked, so hopefully you will receive updates and can also pass them on to the likes of CSJ so that they can put the new info on-line or in the printed guide. (Updates 2008 on CSJ Primitivo are from 2008 forward, not just for that year).
Buen Camino for next year

Tia -- I couldn't agree more on the turn to turn directions. There are two of us so we may end up taking both our guide and the CSJ guide. It is not so complete on listing albergues and locations of bars/cafes. That's why I started the combined thing. But CSJ appears to be the only English language source for turn to turn directions and comments. I am also one of those neurotic people who need a map -- even a relatively uninformative one! On the Frances we took the CSJ Guide and Brierly's Maps only version. We used CSJ and Brierly satisfied my map fixation and gave me a warm and fuzzy illusion of control! Liz

Most read last week in this forum

I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back