• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Internet connection

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugués (September, 2017)
I have heard that some people are using apps instead of paper maps.
Do I have to assume there is no internet issues on the Camino Portugues?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The apps I used worked off line. Make sure you set them up before you leave home or when you have good wifi. The exception is for any links to live maps or to services such as booking.com.

The apps I used worked off line. Make sure you set them up before you leave home or when you have good wifi. The exception is for any links to live maps or to services such as booking.com.
Which one did you use?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@The World My Village just to clarify the apps use the GPS built into your phone, so they can locate your position on the downloaded maps, apps, etc. You will need to review your location services settings. It may require some active management to ensure that you do not wear your battery down (enable/disable location services).

While the Internet is generally accessible along the route (both via wireless and wifi) there are spots that don't have coverage and hotels/auberges/hostels that have limited to very bad coverage (particularly at times when all the pilgrims are on the same bandwidth). I carried both capabilities (phone and paper) and found that I used the paper more just because it was quicker to pull out and check while walking. When I finally got somewhere for the night, I used the phone app to plan out the next day and take a quick look at the route. As stated above, make sure that you review all the app/system settings to minimize the battery usage. That tends to be more of a problem than you might think (particularly if you're also using the phone to take pictures or play music (as a note, I thought I was going to do the later but ended up not listening to a note of music - listening to the world around me while walking or waiting was much more fun).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum