• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Internet connection

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugués (September, 2017)
I have heard that some people are using apps instead of paper maps.
Do I have to assume there is no internet issues on the Camino Portugues?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The apps I used worked off line. Make sure you set them up before you leave home or when you have good wifi. The exception is for any links to live maps or to services such as booking.com.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@The World My Village just to clarify the apps use the GPS built into your phone, so they can locate your position on the downloaded maps, apps, etc. You will need to review your location services settings. It may require some active management to ensure that you do not wear your battery down (enable/disable location services).

While the Internet is generally accessible along the route (both via wireless and wifi) there are spots that don't have coverage and hotels/auberges/hostels that have limited to very bad coverage (particularly at times when all the pilgrims are on the same bandwidth). I carried both capabilities (phone and paper) and found that I used the paper more just because it was quicker to pull out and check while walking. When I finally got somewhere for the night, I used the phone app to plan out the next day and take a quick look at the route. As stated above, make sure that you review all the app/system settings to minimize the battery usage. That tends to be more of a problem than you might think (particularly if you're also using the phone to take pictures or play music (as a note, I thought I was going to do the later but ended up not listening to a note of music - listening to the world around me while walking or waiting was much more fun).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

My husband and I will be walking our first camino from SJPP to Santiago, then on to Finisterre and Muxia starting on Sep 7. We are slow walkers and plan to take some rest days, so we are planning...
All I’ve seen this advertised here on the site and wondered if anyone had used one and what’s the experience. I’m follically challenged Irish guy so fair complexion but I also get very hot with...
Hello, I'll be starting the Camino soon and my best option is to buy shoes in either Pamplona or SJPP. I will be leaving Pamplona on a Sunday at noon and arriving at SJPP around 2pm. My question...
Dear all, as I intent to bring a tent I would be very grateful if you could share some of your tips on how to keep the total weight down or even your own packing list. Currently I am about to...
Hello all. I am planning my first camino end of May. fly into Porto and head north. I plan on staying in Albergos and had a few questions. Should I being my own towel? How far in advance do I...
Just curious as to whether there is a rehoming service for hiking poles on the Camino since many airlines don’t allow them as carryons?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back