• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

introduction and my camino

clim2f88j

I would like first of all to introduce myself, my name is Juan Tisera, 21 years old and i was born in Argentina but came to the United States 10 years ago. My dad gave me Paulo Coelhos book my junior year in high school and told me that we would do this trip as my senior present in 2007 but we never did because he came with an illness that doesn't allow him to do any exercise or long period of walking. I will be doing this trip alone for the both of us and because with college and work i only have 2 weeks. Now for my camino i will be landing in Madrid and by reading it looks like ill be taking a bus 5km outside O Cebreiro and walking there. I plan on spending 6 days in the road reaching Santiago a different men and receiving my compostela to show my kids what an amazing time i had and hopefully having them do it. After my trip i will take a train to Valencia where my uncle lives and spend 3-5 days there before returning to Madrid and back to the USA.

My questions are, is there a better start point than O Cebreiro where i could take a train from Madrid or is that a good starting point?
Whats should i expect from this? From your experience what would you change and not do if you could go back?
When should i do it? I can anytime from May to August.

Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Juan

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Juan, and welcome!

O Cebreiro sounds like a reasonable starting point for what you want to do. I don't know how easy it is to get there by bus.

What should you expect from this? That's a huge question, and it really depends on you. Just don't expect Paolo Coelho's version. I can't really remember the book's details, but I know it was nothing like anything I experienced. There are a lot of books out there--Robert Ward's All the Good Pilgrims is my favourite--that'll give you a better idea of life on the Camino nowadays.

As far as when to go, I walked in October/November so I can't say for sure, but from what I'd read, I'd say go in May. The Confraternity of Saint James recommends not going in July or August to avoid the extreme summer heat, and from what I've read the closer you get to summer, the more people there are rushing for beds. Galicia tends to be especially busy.

Buen Camino!

Anna-Marie

Thank you Anna! Coelho's book had a little "fantasy" in it but it did catch my attention of this camino, i just bought that book that you recommended off Amazon, hope its good! So the plan is to go mid May because of what you said and read on other websites about a lot of tourist later in the year and the plane tickets are at a good price. I am also looking to take a bus to Fisterra and stay 1 or 2 nights in a hotel there then either take a train from Santiago-Madrid-Valencia or flight directly to Valencia.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Ooohhh, start atop O Cebreiro and miss the thigh burning climb up? That ascent is a true badge of honor among pilgrims. I'd say start a little eastward and enjoy the climb (also in lieu of the Pyrenees).

Welcome and buen Camino. I have done the Camino Ingles so I am not much use to you regarding the Camino Frances. I am sure it will be a great experience for you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
i will be doing the climb to O Cebreiro, the bus stop is 5km from it and i will not take a taxi but walk there, and spend the day/night in O Cebreiro and start the camino the next day.

Also, i should bring a sleeping bag correct? and how busy are the hostels? my dad is telling me i will be sleeping outside most of the time because they will fill up very fast but i dont think thats true

You should definitely bring a sleeping bag. Hopefully someone else will comment on the availability of beds in May. It shouldn't be nearly as bad as summer, though, and I can't imagine you'll have to sleep outside.

Anna-Marie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ryanair recently reinstated the Santiago-Valencia flight though I don't believe you will find May 2011 online yet but keep an eye on it and you may well find a bargain price.

Anna, i started reading the book today and after 40 pages its amazing, thank you! Some questions, i will be bringing a journal can i use that to get my stamps from the refugios and use it to get my compostela or what do i do? Also what do i do with my bag after getting a bed when i take a shower or want to go out to dinner and looking around town?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm glad you're enjoying the book!

I'm not sure about getting your stamps in your journal. I would think it would be better to have an official credential, since it'll make it easier for the people who give you your Compostela to look through. I've heard they look a lot more closely if you've walked a relatively short distance. I've also heard it's best to get two stamps a day if you're starting so close to Santiago. Maybe someone else will be able to comment on that.

Some of the refugios have credentials available--though I don't know about the one in O Cebreiro. You can usually also get one from your home pilgrimage association (the Canadian one mailed me a credential in exchange for a $5 donation).

As far as your bag goes, you just have to leave it in the dorm. I always kept my passport/credit card/etc and my camera with me, and never had any problems. Neither did anyone else I knew. Theft does happen on the Camino, from what I've heard, but I don't think it's all that common.

Anna-Marie

I did a little search and there is a pilgrimage association for the USA and its free and also you can donate for it too. So i will be using that for my stamps and also i need to get two a day.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi guys, I need help because I don’t know where else to turn. I arranged luggage transport from Paris to Santiago with casa Ivar. They gave me an invoice, shipping label, everything. I left it at...
Hello from NY! I am booking some accommodations with booking.com and an offer on their site for a free airport shuttle just came up so I booked it. This is the below confirmation. I am entirely...
I am trying to book a train from Santiago to Madrid on 7 May and find that all trains are full and also for about the preceding 3 or 4 days. If I go directly to the train station when I arrive...
I'm flying to Madrid on Saturday evening, and then catching a train from Madrid ChamartĂ­n early on Sunday morning. To those who have been to both, is it better to spend the night in the airport or...
Hello! My name is Molly. I have been wanting to do the camino for YEARS and finally have exactly a one month window later this month, from May 21st to June 21st. I am writing here to see if any of...
Hi all! I am trying to finish up the last bit of planning for our upcoming Camino, in two and a half weeks, from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela. We are kinda doing things a little backwards, as...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back