• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

My Travel / Transport Approach to Camino Frances Internationally via Paris

ajpm2222

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - June 2023
Greetings Fellow Peregrinos,

I notice quite a bit of inquiry on the topic of how best to travel with one’s backpack and how to get to SJPDP. As such, I wanted to share travel logistics for my trip from Washington, DC to SJPDP via Paris, to embark on the CF in May of 2023.

My apologies, as this list is not for the “frugal traveler.” 😄

• I packed my Hyperlite Unbound 40L backpack inside a large suitcase and checked the bag (I included an Apple AirTag for added peace of mind). I was able to pack proper non-Camino attire in the suitcase for the front and back-end of my journey, to ensure I could visit any venue I wished without issue.
  • I flew to Paris, stayed a few days, and then took the following train itinerary: Paris Montparnasse > Bayonne (03h 54m), Bayonne > SJPDP (01h 05m). The whole trip took around six hours (06h, including the short layover in Bayonne). There are other options, but I used the following website for train tickets: https://www.thetrainline.com/en-us.
  • I shipped my suitcase and superfluous items from SJPDP to Santiago de Compostela via Express Bourricot, a French luggage and passenger transport service. They transported my suitcase to their partner location in Santiago for around €70. Their web link: https://www.expressbourricot.com/luggage-transport/.
  • In SJPDP, I stayed at both Les Chemins d’Elika and Hôtel des Pyrénées. Although Hôtel des Pyrénées has a lovely restaurant that I recommend, for lodging, Les Chemins d’Elika is my preferred choice. Les Chemins d’Elika is great for several reasons, one of which happens to be that it’s located right across the street from the SJPDP Pilgrim’s Office and Express Bourricot.
  • In Santiago de Compostela, nearly 50 days after dropping my suitcase off at Express Bourricot, I retrieved my suitcase from their partner location without issue.
  • I flew Direct from Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) to Paris (CDG) on Iberia (01h 55m).

I hope the above information helps! I recall reading about folks creating all sorts of intriguing Rube Goldberg implementations in order to get their packs on a plane, so I chose the above method to make the process as linear as possible. 😜 Plus, this approach allows me the liberty to dress like a hippie or a proper world traveler on the front and back-end. I like that flexibility. 👍

Cheers!

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm glad it worked out well for you!

However, I take some exception to your description... ;)
folks creating all sorts of intriguing Rube Goldberg implementations in order to get their packs on a plane
My simple bag or small box to be checked, holding poles and knife, wrapped in a sleeping bag or sweater, is as simple as it comes!

I'm glad it worked out well for you!

However, I take some exception to your description... ;)

My simple bag or small box to be checked, holding poles and knife, wrapped in a sleeping bag or sweater, is as simple as it comes!

Nice! Indeed, your approach sounds very efficient. 😄 👍 I don’t consider that “Rube Goldberg.” Cheers!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I notice quite a bit of inquiry on the topic of how best to travel with one’s backpack and how to get to SJPDP. As such, I wanted to share travel logistics for my trip from Washington, DC to SJPDP via Paris, to embark on the CF in May of 2023.

• I packed my Hyperlite Unbound 40L backpack inside a large suitcase and checked the bag (I included an Apple AirTag for added peace of mind). I was able to pack proper non-Camino attire in the suitcase for the front and back-end of my journey, to ensure I could visit any venue I wished without issue.
  • I flew to Paris, stayed a few days, and then took the following train itinerary: Paris Montparnasse > Bayonne (03h 54m), Bayonne > SJPDP (01h 05m). The whole trip took around six hours (06h, including the short layover in Bayonne). There are other options, but I used the following website for train tickets: https://www.thetrainline.com/en-us.
  • I shipped my suitcase and superfluous items from SJPDP to Santiago de Compostela via Express Bourricot, a French luggage and passenger transport service. They transported my suitcase to their partner location in Santiago for around €70. Their web link: https://www.expressbourricot.com/luggage-transport/.
  • In SJPDP, I stayed at both Les Chemins d’Elika and Hôtel des Pyrénées. Although Hôtel des Pyrénées has a lovely restaurant that I recommend, for lodging, Les Chemins d’Elika is my preferred choice. Les Chemins d’Elika is great for several reasons, one of which happens to be that it’s located right across the street from the SJPDP Pilgrim’s Office and Express Bourricot.
  • In Santiago de Compostela, nearly 50 days after dropping my suitcase off at Express Bourricot, I retrieved my suitcase from their partner location without issue.
  • I flew Direct from Santiago de Compostela (SCQ) to Paris (CDG) on Iberia (01h 55m).

I hope the above information helps! I recall reading about folks creating all sorts of intriguing Rube Goldberg implementations in order to get their packs on a plane, so I chose the above method to make the process as linear as possible. 😜 Plus, this approach allows me the liberty to dress like a hippie or a proper world traveler on the front and back-end. I like that flexibility. 👍

Cheers!
This is almost exactly what I did in May of 2014! Worked out perfectly!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Cheers!
Thanks for the roadmap! I've been thinking about how best to do it for future Camino, with some modifications it looks like it would work for a start from Le Puy en Velay as well, obviously with different trains. Will file this away.

So... basically you are telling me that the outfit (Express Bouricott partner location... I guess that means its not EB proper rather an affiliate of a sort) did not charge you for 50 days of storage?

Thanks for the roadmap! I've been thinking about how best to do it for future Camino, with some modifications it looks like it would work for a start from Le Puy en Velay as well, obviously with different trains. Will file this away.
My pleasure! Thank you!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Nope. That’s far too complicated for me!
As simple as it comes is carry on only 😉.

Of course, I’m sure somebody will be along soon with an even easier solution. This is the forum, after all.🙄

So... basically you are telling me that the outfit (Express Bouricott partner location... I guess that means it’s not EB proper rather an affiliate of a sort) did not charge you for 50 days of storage?
Indeed, that is correct.

A quick rundown of the process that I experienced:
  • EB takes payment of €70 in SJPDP at the time of luggage drop-off.
  • They emphasize that luggage is stored in a secure area in their partner’s facility in Santiago, The Loop Inn.
  • You receive a receipt they emphasize is important to hold onto for luggage pick-up in Santiago (I took a back-up photo of the receipt, just in case).
  • The receipt clearly indicates ”UNLIMITED” storage included; however, they wanted to know approximately when I planned to retrieve the luggage for their planning purposes. Anecdotally, I believe their conventIonal outer timeframe for storing bags is 60 days.
  • When I retrieved my luggage, it was a seamless process, and I noticed all of the bags were indeed stored in a locked room.
Lastly, you receive a 15% discount on bookings at The Loop Inn in Santiago as part of this service. I did not stay there in Santiago, so I cannot speak to the quality of The Loop Inn’s accommodations.

I hope this additional info helps. Cheers!

Nope. That’s far too complicated for me!
As simple as it comes is carry on only 😉.

Of course, I’m sure somebody will be along soon with an even easier solution. This is the forum, after all.🙄
Haha!!! Quite true, good sir! 😂

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It sounds like a good simple plan. I would've booked a multi-city flight and flown back from Madrid or Lisbon, so I could just take a bus or train back to those cities. But it's good to know that you had success with Express Bouricult

A tribute to Rube Goldberg. 159-truman-copy.0.jpg
So, no, not like this…
rube_goldbergs_-self-operating_napkin-_-cropped-gif.162232

Attachments

• Rube_Goldberg's_ Self-Operating_Napkin _(cropped).gif
    Rube_Goldberg's_ Self-Operating_Napkin _(cropped).gif
    70 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
It sounds like a good simple plan. I would've booked a multi-city flight and flown back from Madrid or Lisbon, so I could just take a bus or train back to those cities. But it's good to know that you had success with Express Bouricult

A tribute to Rube Goldberg. View attachment 162233
So, no, not like this…
rube_goldbergs_-self-operating_napkin-_-cropped-gif.162232
Haha. That napkin machine is a true work of art!

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back