• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ireland

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

I hope the April 1 dateline is NOT significant:

Nicola Anderson – Published 01 April 2014 02:30 AM

TEN ancient 'Pilgrim Paths' have been flagged as Ireland's answer to the Camino de Santiago, with the hope that visitors from far and wide will come to visit as they did back in medieval times.

The paths are dotted across the country – from Glen Colm Cille and Lough Derg in Co Donegal, to the Sli Mor taking in Clonmacnoise in Co Offaly, and from St Kevin's Way at Glendalough in Co Wicklow, down to the Cosan na Naomh Pilgrim Path on the Dingle peninsula, Co Kerry.

The Heritage Council has now launched a national Pilgrim Paths Day which will take place on Easter Saturday, April 19 – with the initially modest aim that just 1,000 people will be out walking the trails that day.

While each path is individual and separate in its own right, the Heritage Council now hopes to produce a special 'Pilgrims' Passport' so that visitors can set a goal to "collect" each one and complete the entire trail.

Organisers explained that this venture is about getting people out and about, walking with "spiritual intent" – with the potential to boost tourism in hard-hit rural areas.

The idea for the Pilgrims Path day was devised by guidebook author John O'Dwyer, chairman of National Pilgrim Paths, after he was asked to write on the ancient routes.

Pilgrims travelled to Ireland from Hungary, France, Italy and Holland throughout the 14th and 15th Centuries.

Historian Dr Peter Harbison explained that Ireland did not have a Geoffrey Chaucer to document the experience of everyday pilgrims and so we do not have a 'Lough Derg Tales' to rival that of Canterbury.

At the launch yesterday at St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin, Mr O'Dwyer told how he had walked each trail during the miserably wet summer of 2012 and was on St Finbarr's path in Co Cork when the idea occurred to him.

He was passing some prehistoric standing stones when he realised he was the only person around for miles. "These are wonderful paths, and there is nobody walking them," he said.

Mr O'Dwyer estimated that it would take around a month to walk all 10 paths in total – which is about the same time it takes to walk the full Camino de Santiago. However, he said he hoped tourists would pay several trips to Ireland to complete their "passport".

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for posting that, falcon -- I'd done some hiking in Ireland before and found it very nice. I'll have to look into these trails. I've been thinking of re-doing the Lycian Way again this year, but maybe Ireland will be an alternative.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello Folks,

My daughter kindly bought me John G O'Dwyer's book for Christmas. It's called 'Pilgrim Paths in Ireland' and it has really fired my imagination for possible future Camino's.The book is published by Collins Press and hopefully you can access the attached link :

www.collinspress.ie/pilgrim-paths-of-ireland.html

Rgds,

P

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back