• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

is there a bus from ponferrada to Santiago airport?

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015,2016,2017,2018,2022, 2023, april 24.
I cant find a bus from Ponferrada towards the Santiago airport . I Have done this 4 years ago so know it was available then. But I checked on Omio, Rome2Rio . alsa etc. The only option it gives is a very early one and late afternoon one ( alsa) via Coruna. In 2018 I took one that almost followed the Camino route and stopped in all towns (like Palas de Rei, Melide etc etc. THAT is the one I am looking for but can't find. Even if I put in a date a few days from now...nothing. Needing it for June 19th
Many thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I see 3 departures using the Alsa App
1:30 am, 9:30 am, 3:30 am for Thursday June 19. All are 5 1/2 hours.

I see 3 departures using the Alsa App
1:30 am, 9:30 am, 3:30 am for Thursday June 19. All are 5 1/2 hours.
Yes thanks . those I found too but they are all going via Coruna and to Santiago NOT the local route that stops in Melide, palas del rei etc.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ponferrada - Lugo- Santiago is the obvious route. There appears to be plenty of service on both routes. There is definitely plenty of service Lavacola - Lugo- Lavacola that’s how the Sarria starters get there.
I’m on my phone with dodgy Spanish hotel wee-few so I’ll not look’em up for you.

Typing off the top of my head but how bout this? ALSA runs buses from Ponferrada to Pedrafita do Cebreiro. Then MONBUS runs an afternoon bus from Pedrafita do Cebreiro to Santiago Airport and Santiago Intermodal Station. (The MONBUS route tracks quite well with the standard Frances route, which is nice.) You'll need to check the bus company websites for times and prices.

That looked the best option so far. Thanks That must have been the bus I took 4 years ago. I see you can only book it 2 weeks ahead (which is fine).

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
That looked the best option so far. Thanks
When I broke my foot last September and had to quit walking at O Cebreiro, I caught the MONBUS from nearby Pedrafita do Cebreiro into Santiago. It left Pedrafita mid-afternoon, something like 3-4 PM, and stopped at the airport before driving into the city. Took 2-3 hours. I was NOT the only pilgrim aboard the bus! ... Cost was Euros 16, I believe. Went thru O Cebreiro, Triacastela, Samos, Sarria, Portomarin, Melide, Arzua and O Pedrouso.

Attachments

• 1652363157492.png
    68 bytes · Views: 9
Last edited:
Yes I saw it leaves mid afternoon which is perfect . I bet you were not the only pilgrim lol. We have limited time this year so will have to make choices and walking the last day into Santiago is one of our choices to finish this years trip. The taxi quoted me 210 euro's so the bus fee certainly beats that

Most read last week in this forum