• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Transportation from Santiago airport to bus station

Brent6886

Time of past OR future Camino
May 12th
Hello! I’ll be flying into Santiago de Compostela May 13th and need to get to Astorga where I’ll begin my first Camino. Is the bus station located at the airport or close by? Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
You need to take a bus from the Airport to the bus station. To Astorga several buses per day. Looks like at least one train. The bus and train station are collocated.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Sorry, but you’ve bought your flights but haven’t bothered to check the next bit? Santiago airport to the Intermodal station ( bus and train) is easy just use the airport bus. From Santiago to Astorga, that’ll be fun. There are several buses a day, journey time varies between 5 to 6 hours. Much will depend on your timings. There appear to be buses at 8:00 and 10:45am. I’m on my phone in a busy pub. No doubt you can refine those results. ALSA seem to be the most likely provider

Last edited:
The bus from airport to bus and train station is very regular maybe every 20 0r 30 minutes. You pay on the bus with a 0ne euro coin. Organise yourself to have it ready. The bus stop is just outside the exit from arrivals and is clearly marked' Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello! I’ll be flying into Santiago de Compostela May 13th and need to get to Astorga where I’ll begin my first Camino. Is the bus station located at the airport or close by? Any tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

From the airport Arrivals level (the airport only has a siñgle terminal), bus 6A to the bus station, journeytime 30 to 40 minutes depending on traffic, or fixed price taxi, €23 last year. Then ALSA bus to Astorga with a rest break and change of bus in Ponferrada. May is busy on this route, advance booking strongly advised, although there is an ALSA bus ticket office at the bus station which is open early enough for you to buy your ticket on the day. Tickets booked on the ALSA (English-language) website allow refundable cancellation or one change of date/time up to 2 hours before scheduled departure time of bus. Note that while there are 2 morning buses, plus one that arrives in Astorga at 0215, there is a 1500 bus to León. If you can't make the morning bus(es), go to León and overnight, next morning an ALSA from León bus station to Astorga, they run hourly starting early especially on weekdays. While the 1500 León bus goes through Astorga and picks up passengers, the website doesn't allow you to book from Santiago to Astorga on that service, but ask in the ALSA office in Santiago if it's possible, they are very helpful and speak reasonable English (I use ALSA up to 10 times a year on all or part of this route). What time do you arrive at Santiago airport? There may well be a workaround using other ALSA routes to get you to Astorga same day if you can't make the morning buses.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-02-16_174511.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-02-16_174511.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 2

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back