• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is there a shuttle bus from CDG Paris airport to Montparnasse train station?

DianaEB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese April 2022
Hello. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle bus from CDG Paris airport to Montparnasse train station? Thank you.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
No direct shuttle bus, but (as the Rome2Rio link shows) options of buses or RER (commuter train)/ Metro. There will be a change involved.
I know it's not what you asked, but if you're travelling through Paris, perhaps consider a night *in* Paris, to help see off your jetlag and sample a little of one of the world's great capital cities.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You can take the RER [train] from the CDG airport terminal 2 to the St Michel stop, change to Metro line 4 [direction Bagneux Lucie Aubrac] and take that to Montparnasse Bienvenüe [Montparnasse train station].

Last edited:
le bus direct (https://transfer.airport-paris.com/bus-direct.htm) offer a CDG to Montparnasse shuttle. This appears to be what was called the Air France shuttle. I cannot remember the cost, and it is sufficiently long ago that it might be very relevant today.
This service is no longer operating. There is a bus to central Paris but it doesn't appear that any goes direct to Montparnasse, as others have suggested.

Last edited:
le bus direct (https://transfer.airport-paris.com/bus-direct.htm) offer a CDG to Montparnasse shuttle. This appears to be what was called the Air France shuttle. I cannot remember the cost, and it is sufficiently long ago that it might be very relevant today.
I don't believe this still exists. Covid did a lot of these shared-ride options in. The Bus Direct contact information says "No service anymore." RoissyBus still exists but doesn't go to Montparnasse.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @DianaEB The shuttle bus (Roissy Bus) goes from CDG to Paris Opera. It’s about 5 kms from Gare Montparnasse - you can get there by bus, metro or taxi - or on foot. 😎

I think the Easy CDG website is a useful reference for transport options

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I suggest taking the RER B train from CDG to Port-Royal, then walking to Montparnasse. I did this a few days ago; the walk took me about 20 minutes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The RER train goes from CDG to Montparnasse.
No it doesn't -- you can get the RER into Paris, and then change to a Métro line at either Saint-Michel or Denfert-Rochereau ; I'd suggest the latter as it is a less busy station.

Or as @krystianw suggests, get off at either Port Royal or Denfert-Rochereau and walk to Montparnasse. There are brasseries and bars along the way for coffee, a sandwich, whatever.

No it doesn't -- you can get the RER into Paris, and then change to a Métro line at either Saint-Michel or Denfert-Rochereau ; I'd suggest the latter as it is a less busy station.

Or as @krystianw suggests, get off at either Port Royal or Denfert-Rochereau and walk to Montparnasse. There are brasseries and bars along the way for coffee, a sandwich, whatever.
That's my suggestion - no need to jump through the hoops and change to Metro just for couple of stops
Take RER B all the way to Denfert-Rochereau and just walk. Short of the bad weather it is a very pleasant walk.
I absolutely would NOT take the Roissy Bus - there is no reason for it and if you do decide to take metrom afterwards - you need to buy an extr ticket, whence with RER if yu decide to make a change - it is seamlessly flawless within the same underground system. But again why even change? Walk! Get used to walkin! long distances with your gear on!
Good luck and Buen Camino!

A few years ago in 2018 we got the Shuttle Bus just ourside from Montparnasse to CDG 40 Euro from memory.
I believe that's the shuttle that is no longer operating mentioned in the posts below:

This service is no longer operating. There is a bus to central Paris but it doesn't appear that any goes direct to Montparnasse, as others have suggested.

I don't believe this still exists. Covid did a lot of these shared-ride options in. The Bus Direct contact information says "No service anymore." RoissyBus still exists but doesn't go to Montparnasse.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello. Does anyone know if there is a shuttle bus from CDG Paris airport to Montparnasse train station? Thank you.
There used to be an RER B train from CDG direct to Denfert-Rochereau, within walking distance of Gare Montparnasse, but that was unfortunately stopped a few years ago, and there are many websites with outdated information. The last time I was there, in 2022, we had to take a bus from CDG to Paris Opera house, then the Metro can get you to Montparnasse. You can also take an RER B train to Gare du Nord and find a Metro there. The train from CDG to Gare du Nord takes about 25 minutes, and the current cost per person, one-way is 11.80 Euros for the train only. I believe the cost for the Metro is 2.10 Euros, very affordable. A big advantage is that if you are going to return to CDG by bus from Paris Opera, you can buy your ticket at any Metro station kiosk.

If the RER B does not stop at Denfert-Rochereau one can get off at Port Royal and its a pleasant 15 min walk to GdM
its been awhile since I did the transfer at Gare du Nord but IIRC there was no charge to transfer between RER B & Metro (Ligne 4).
If the OP is not familiar with Paris to begin with, why bother with ANY transfers?

But... just to be fair - if one does take Roissy Bus to Opera (Palais Garnier) its a 10 min walk to Saint Lazare then Metro Ligne 12 to Montparnasse - Bienvenüe and about 1-2 min to GdM from there

Last edited:
The answer is the train .
And I'm sure the OP will determine which line as they know the time restraints etc

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree train is best, I can remember in 2009 the airport bus took 1.5 hours to get to Montparnasse in morning traffic!
HOWEVER RER line B is undergoing major modernisation and maintenance work until 2025. Some of these works will require partial shutdowns of the line. Mostly at weekends or overnight. Check the schedule of works here
There should be a replacement bus but you will need to allow more time for the journey
Here is a map of the route from Port Royal to Gare Montparnasse

1712559312010.png

Just to add another comment - which the OP probably doesn't need. In theory, the train (RER) journey is a faster option, depending on which terminal you arrive at. But having been stuck on the RER line B from CDG many times - not due to construction but to 'incidents' further down the line, usually in one of the busy RER/Metro interchange stations in central Paris - I now prefer the Roissy Bus to Paris Opera, and make my way to Montparnasse from there - by metro, bus, taxi or on foot. I also find it convenient as it goes from Terminals 1, 2 and 3.
Terminal 1 Exit 32 (Arrivals level)
Terminal 2A-2C Exit 9 (Terminal 2A)
Terminal 2B-2DE Exit 11 (Terminal 2D)
Terminal 2E-2F Bus station (Exit 8a, Arrivals level)
Terminal 3 Roissypole Bus station

Whatever option you choose, I suggest allowing at least an extra hour or two to the 'usual travel time' if you are planning to take the train the same day from Montparnasse.

Last edited by a moderator:
And to give the OP a little more to think about Pelerina what would you do if repeating a Camino.
The train leaves Montparnasse hourly , half go direct to Bayonne.
The other half go via Dax , a diversion made on the GR65 via St Palais by many French walkers who were in our company for the month.

Would you alight in Dax and stop for the day & night ?
Forget the time frame as we have on occasions commenced in Navannenx & Ostabat just to get rid of the jet lag.
And as the OP has gone walking or is sleeping this could enlighten the remainder on this site.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If I was repeating a Camino I would take a train from Gare de Montparnasse to SJPdP and take RER B from CdG to Montparnasse :D
I mean what else is there? ;)😇

And to give the OP a little more to think about Pelerina what would you do if repeating a Camino.
The train leaves Montparnasse hourly , half go direct to Bayonne.
The other half go via Dax , a diversion made on the GR65 via St Palais by many French walkers who were in our company for the month.

Would you alight in Dax and stop for the day & night ?
Forget the time frame as we have on occasions commenced in Navannenx & Ostabat just to get rid of the jet lag.
And as the OP has gone walking or is sleeping this could enlighten the remainder on this site.
Do you mean - if I were repeating the Camino Frances? would I overnight in Dax and walk on the Voie de Tours to St Palais and on to Ostabat joining the Le Puy way and on to SJPP. Or train from Dax to St Palais and then walk on to Ostabat etc. Sure both are options. But not ones I’ve chosen.

My posts were in response to the OP’s question about a shuttle bus to Montparnasse. In any case, it’s all a bit moot for me. If I were not planning to spend ‘visiting’ time in Paris, I’d be opting for one of the direct trains from CDG to Bayonne, rather than travel into Montparnasse. It really just depends preferences and time available.

Only wrote the above because the OP has taken leave and disappeared.
Only mentioned the above for discussion on variants for repeat pilgrims/ walkers instead of what the 1,000 walkers do every week in St JPdP
CWB
In 2008 when we stuffed up our first Camino ( following the leader etc) and with the boss indicating we will not sit outside alberques and wait ( no bookings ahead in that era ) ever again we were fortunate to read the following and very much more before we returned in 2009 and every year until COVID ,
We returned last year for a very relaxed Norte.
Google;
Walking In France …day 31 ..St Palais to StJPdP
Written by 2 wonderful inspiring Australians who adore the GRs in France , more than 170,000 km of beautiful maintained paths .
In 2009 we did what this article is about but stopped in Ostabat , which was the epicentre for all pilgrims in Europe.
In 2010 we stopped listening to all the French / Swiss / Italians and Dutch on the Frances talking about the GR65 and commenced in Le Puy.
It started a beautiful life . Yes we had retired and were just on 60yrs so spending 10-16 weeks pa in the warmth instead of Melbourne’s chill became the norm.
We found the best way to overcome the 24hrs travel is a “short”walk in the sunshine / mist / drizzle or whatever and taking in the scenery.
With nothing on our backs for these opening days. 👍
StJPdP to Ronsc. is not that way inclined.😉
Pelerina
Your path from CDG is the only way but instead of Paris as a stop we found both Bordeaux and Bayonne itself were great for a few nights before we went over from StJPdP to Baguette.
If this reply has got people looking at Keith’s and Jenny’s walks along the canals etc by going to the above ** Walking in France site then I feel I have helped in showing how lucky we are to be able to participate on these Camino's and give rise to thinking outside the square in a very small way.

Last edited:
Guides that will let you complete the journey your way.
We found the best way to overcome the 24hrs travel is a “short”walk in the sunshine / mist / drizzle or whatever and taking in the scenery.

but instead of Paris as a stop we found both Bordeaux and Bayonne itself were great for a few nights before we went over from StJPdP to Baguette.

I get it! Most of my Caminos have started with that 24 hour flight! Uggh. And I agree about a stop in Bayonne or Bordeaux. For those who've already spent time there, another alternative is to to continue on a for a short time from Bayonne and spend a day or two in Saint Jean de Luz! Easy to return to Bayonne the following day or even to walk back from Saint Jean de Luz to Bayonne on the marked path.

You might like to start a new thread on the topic to share your experience / ideas, as people interested may not click on this one given the shuttle bus title.

PS I walked from St Palais to Ostabat last year - it is a stunning and quite challenging stage.

PPS. If you are interested in other alternatives to start the Frances - I can highly recommend the Camino Baztan from Bayonne to Pamplona - more of the glorious Pays Basque.

We actually walked from just outside of Biarritz to the above town and then onto Irun , along the water they said….was hard as accomodation was scarce.
The first day on the Norte is still the hardest mate , no matter how many days warming up.
Lovely town St Jean de Luz.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
PPS. If you are interested in other alternatives to start the Frances - I can highly recommend the Camino Baztan from Bayonne to Pamplona - more of the glorious Pays Basque.
Had booked 3 places the year COVID hit.
We were tossing up whether to turn towards Santo Domingo before Pamplona
The owners of the Hotels we booked on the Baztan we lovely and understanding.
Yes , they go alright the Basque.

Most read last week in this forum

I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
For those who might want to transport a bag, here are the envelopes of two companies. The envelopes can be found at most places to stay along the Camino. Fill out the info and slip the money in...
I am flying to Santiago via Dublin and have about a 10 hour layover. I arrive 0830 and my flight on Ryanair is not till 1930. Any suggestions on how I can spend my time? Is it practical to go...
Flying to MAD from the US. After I clear customs, can I remain airside to get to my connecting flight to SdC or do I have to exit to groundside and go back through security in the Domestic...
Warning for those flying in to France -- there's a strike tomorrow April 25th, which likely will NOT prevent flying in or out of the country on international flights, but is very likely to affect...
A friend due to walk from Sarria to SdC next month is now injured still wants to go along with group walking. Any advice on transport options for him to go from Stage to Stage. All options...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back